DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

Alternate possibility: Given how much more fractured the media is now, maybe it actually would have been a smaller story, or at least a shorter one.  Twitter would damn sure have blown up a few times, but maybe it wouldn't have been followed nearly as intently if there were 500 other channels, plus the whole damn internet.

It's funny, in that the OJ story gave rise to things like this--Court TV, reality shows, gossip blogs, paparrazzi becoming even more aggressive with celebrities.  He's the centerpiece to the whole thing.  Maybe that's why so much of it is rotten.  The seed from which these elements sprung was cursed.

• Like 1

I am of the opinion that this should have been the first 30 for 30 and if this happened during the internet era it would have been the biggest sports story ever.  I remember when it happened and even as a child I realized that this is about as crazy of a sports story possible.(I don't count anything with a death crazy, that is more tragic.)

Sorry but if the OJ Bronco chase (hell the entire OJ trial) was during the twitter/facebook/instagram era it would easily have been the biggest story ever.   In my opnion.

There are plenty of death stories that are bigger, OJ, Len Bias, Dale Earnhardt, etc.  Those are different, I'm talking about the crazy Te'O, Harding, and anything that happens with NBA players behind the scenes.  Something that you don't feel bad for making jokes about. 

Not saying its necessarily bigger than those stories, but the gold medal game from 1972 would have resulted in Bristol melting down like Chernobyl. . . 

All I really remember about the OJ thing was the chase and the verdict which for some reason resulted in the 7th grade class I was in watching it live on TV breaking out in a cheer at the acquittal and wondering how bizarre that seemed in hindsight. Note: Basically, everyone was white plus possibly a few local Native kids. I don't remember why a bunch of 13-year olds cared about the result or why it elicited a cheer. It's rural Wisconsin.

OJ is the biggest story involving an athlete ever and I don't think anything else is anywhere close, but I don't really know if it is a sports story.  It seems like much more of a celebrity story than sports, but maybe that is because OJ retired before I was born.  The OJ story is probably the most covered news story of my lifetime.  From the car chase to the verdict, it was basically the lead story on every major news outlet.  I'd be willing to bet more time was spent talking about OJ than 9/11 and there is nothing sports related that comes close as far as news stories go. 

OJ is the biggest story involving an athlete ever and I don't think anything else is anywhere close, but I don't really know if it is a sports story.  It seems like much more of a celebrity story than sports, but maybe that is because OJ retired before I was born.  The OJ story is probably the most covered news story of my lifetime.  From the car chase to the verdict, it was basically the lead story on every major news outlet.  I'd be willing to bet more time was spent talking about OJ than 9/11 and there is nothing sports related that comes close as far as news stories go.

The only think that immediates springs to mind as a modern comperable is Oscar Pistorius

The only think that immediates springs to mind as a modern comperable is Oscar Pistorius

And even that is a minor blip compared to the OJ thing.

Thought the one on John Spano and the Isles was the best. As a bonus Mike Milbury came off as the giant piece of shit he is (him and Ed Johnson are the Vince Russos of hockey in that they legit killed their markets with their stupidity).

Looking back and with how big the OJ story was in terms of the race debate..  I'm surprised most people in my area (95% white) were pleased with the verdict. I never witnessed the white vs. black part of it.

My recently divorced Uncle lived with us during the OJ trial.  He was super into it and kiiiinda racist.  He kept warning me not to celebrate when the verdict (which in his mind was a surefire conviction) came in because the black kids in my school would "riot".  I didn't have the heart to tell him that 1. I didn't care enough about OJ to celebrate no matter what the outcome was and 2.  Our school had one black guy and he didn't seem like the rioting type.

I hate that the legacy of the L.A. riots is that black people will riot over anything.  It kind of shows the lack of sophistication that race is discussed with in this country.  The L.A.riots were not just a knee jerk reaction to the Rodney King verdict, it was the culmination of years of abuse and disenfranchisement from the Los Angeles police department.  If you go back and read the crazy shit that was going on with the police and the black community in L.A. in the late 80s and early 90s you would be appalled.  The riots were basically black people deciding to fight back against a group of terrorists that were supposed to be protecting them. 

• Like 1

As a teenager of that time, I never realized until recently have god fucking awful fashion was in the late 80's - early 90's.   I really hope that twenty years from now people look at today's fashion with the same horror to make us feel good :unsure:

There is a part of me that wants to have sympathy for Tonya given her horrible upbringing and terrible relationships but her complete denial and opinions of Nancy really makes it hard to have any feelings except disgust.  This documentary is a really good study though on the way we view class back then and probably how we do now.  To this day people still treat Nancy vs Tonya as a battle between rich and poor,  style and dignity vs white trash. 

It is funny how Nancy is still portrayed as this sweet princess when she didn't really show it.  They showed her reaction after she found out about the silver medal and her whining waiting for the ceremony.   But I still remember the Disney parade shortly after the Olympics where an obviously bored nancy was in a float or car with Mickey Mouse and she was overheard telling Mickey something about how fucking corny it was.  That hurt her image.  

What does it say about Tonya Harding that she somehow didn't have a longer run in pro wrestling than one night in Oregon seconding Love Machine/Eddy?

Although i'm guessing she wouldn't have wanted a storyline where her masked goons beat up Alundra Blayze and allowed Tonya to win the Womens title

----

Tonya Harding calling Nancy Kerrigan a crybaby is one of the most unintentionally hilarious things i've heard on TV