DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

The bad part is, they were a GOOD team without having to murder guys.  Y'all know I love physical play, but flying lariats, and fist fights aren't good basketball.

Yeah!

• Like 1

I think the fact that people felt the team was more likable with Laettner on it really speaks to how much of an asshole Isiah was.

More like Laettner hadn't had a chance to do anything directly to those 11 NBA players yet. 

One takeaway from the "Dream Team" book that surprised me a bit (but, in hindsight, shouldn't have) is that the Olympics weren't a super-positive experience for Laettner.  He wasn't fully accepted by the other guys, knew he didn't really belong there, and didn't play a ton.  He got the medal and all but it wasn't a particularly happy experience for him.  I totally get that.

I think that Laettner, even without the Dream Team induction, will get to put HOF behind his name anyway based on his college career and a pro career that wasn't bad, but I'm probably a little biased as Laettner is my all-time favorite men's player.

I could totally see how the experience wouldn't have been a positive one for him. He's hot shit, best college player in the world, 2 titles, one of the greatest college players in history and he's on this team that renders him a benchwarmer, a complete after thought and Laettner at that time was probably at his all time high as far as being psychotically competitive.

Laettner's experience on the team in a nutshell is their induction into the HOF and Magic Johnson completely forgot he was even up there, looked around, and realized "oh shit I forgot somebody".

Laettner is my all-time favorite men's player.

Every once in a while, someone will say something on this board that I literally cannot even comprehend...

My first solid memory of watching basketball was the Duke/UK game from 1992. Oddly although Laettner is my all time favorite men's player I hate Duke with a fiery passion. That to me is far more inexplicable.

Come on.  This guy screams 1980s Richard Marx sex-ay.  Forget liking, it's all about LUV with CL.

*Starts humming Right Here Waiting*

600full-christian-laettner.jpg

He's got a Luke Perry/Jason Priestley 90210 vibe going on - big-time in that pic.

My first solid memory of watching basketball was the Duke/UK game from 1992. Oddly although Laettner is my all time favorite men's player I hate Duke with a fiery passion. That to me is far more inexplicable.

Ah yes, the legendary game where the refs went into full-on Duke blindess mode and ignored Laettner stomping on a guy instead of kicking him out of the game.  Ugh.

• Like 1

I have the Bad Boys DVR'd for a weekend viewing. But man, a 30 For 30 on the rise of Duke as college basketball's evil empire would be fascinating. They went from being the plucky underdog that just couldn't win the Big One to the most reviled program in the sport, and I think it all starts with the Laettner stomp. 

Would definitely love to see that evolution play out in a documentary, though I fear as an ESPN property it could easily turn into a Coach K love-fest. Maybe HBO should take on that topic. 

Speaking of which, I wish HBO would release the UNLV doc on Blu Ray. The Tark era fascinates me. It's also so ironic to think back on a time when Duke was the upstart cheered on against the big, bad Runnin' Rebels. 

Come on.  This guy screams 1980s Richard Marx sex-ay.  Forget liking, it's all about LUV with CL.

*Starts humming Right Here Waiting*

600full-christian-laettner.jpg

He's got a Luke Perry/Jason Priestley 90210 vibe going on - big-time in that pic.

You would have gotten bonus points if you had quoted Jeremy Jordan's "Right Kind of Love." :)

• Like 2

Good lord, I'd forgotten about that song.  When I was still teaching, I used to get "Mr. T, what was it like in the 80s?" from my students - and I'd tell them to watch Footloose.  If I got asked "What did the 90s look and sound like?", I think I'd show people that Jeremy Jordan video. 

Good lord, I'd forgotten about that song.  When I was still teaching, I used to get "Mr. T, what was it like in the 80s?" from my students - and I'd tell them to watch Footloose.  If I got asked "What did the 90s look and sound like?", I think I'd show people that Jeremy Jordan video. 

I would go with Mallrats myself. . . .

I have the Bad Boys DVR'd for a weekend viewing. But man, a 30 For 30 on the rise of Duke as college basketball's evil empire would be fascinating. They went from being the plucky underdog that just couldn't win the Big One to the most reviled program in the sport, and I think it all starts with the Laettner stomp. 

Would definitely love to see that evolution play out in a documentary, though I fear as an ESPN property it could easily turn into a Coach K love-fest. Maybe HBO should take on that topic.

You get a lot of it in the Fab Five Doc. 

I was disappointed the Fab Five one didn't have the press conference where they asked them where they had been the year before during the tourney finals, and they all gave a location following by "cheering for UNLV."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The newest 30 for 30 Short is about 7 foot 6 Shawn Bradley called "Posterized".  Kind of mean spirited in the beginning by talking about how apparently he had lots of guys dunking on him and how he was a complete bust but at the end it showed what a cool guy he seems to be

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10925703

This was actually pretty good.  Nice to see Shawn is doing so well.

Bradley was hardly the only center in the 90s evicerated by guys who were/will be first-ballot HoFers. Just one of the tallest.

It's not like he was wasted by the Erick Dampiers, Acie Earls and Elden Campbells of the world.

I think Bradley is actually an underrated player.  Clearly shouldn't have been drafted so high, but what can you do?  He was a pretty damn great shot-blocker.  It's why dunking on him was so cool, because there was a decent chance the ball would wind up in the stands instead of the hoop.

Just watched the Pistons one. As a huge fan of those teams and that era, I loved it. They covered all the bases in great detail. Being bitter Adrian Dantley to talk was a coup. And Mark Aguirre's response to the trade ("I was better") was awesome. Although mentioned early on, I think the film missed a chance to show how perceptions shape reality. The Pistons were - rightly - trashed for walking out at the end of the 91 series against Chicago. Funny how nobody cares that Larry Bird and the Celtics did the exact same thing to Detroit four years earlier. And kudos to Isiah for taking the heat all these years for it being his idea even though it was Laimbeer's. Weird that Vinnie Johnson and James Edwards were interviewed for the piece yet only Edwards was actually heard from - and only for about 10 seconds. Literally. Anyway, great piece!

• 2 months later...