DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Speaking of Peter Pan Live, what is with NBC doing these live performances lately? I remember the one last year with Carrie Underwood being weird too. I mean, I kinda like it because it's such a throwback to the early days of television, but it also tells me that NBC has zero faith in their regular lineup.

The Carrie Underwood thing was a huge ratings success.

It looks like they made an computer animated Brian Williams, made him 30 years younger, then made him look like a girl playing Peter Pan. That is now how I'll always look at Allison Williams. I'll only see her dad, but animated to look younger and female.

They introduced some new characters in season 2 that everyone HAAAAAAATES, and it's gotten to the point that my friend who was trying to convince everyone to watch has started an apology tour.

Pretty much they went from fun MOTW with minor mythology building to MYTHARC PLOT HAMMER

I'll take that bold thing over that other thing anyday.

Not that I've watched that show because it's on Fox, and I don't watch Fox genre shows until they hit season 3 or 4.

Though we are watching Gotham so I don't know what that says about me past that I'm a hypocrite.

Speaking of Peter Pan Live, what is with NBC doing these live performances lately? I remember the one last year with Carrie Underwood being weird too. I mean, I kinda like it because it's such a throwback to the early days of television, but it also tells me that NBC has zero faith in their regular lineup.

The Carrie Underwood thing was a huge ratings success.

Also, these are specials airing in December.  Most likely, they're not displacing any first-run episodes of the regular lineup. 

It goes off they ails pretty badly in season 2.

Fuck. Really? Any reason why? Different producer and writers, or just no clear direction beyond season 1? From what I gather, season 1 continues to be very strong and ends well. Thus far, each episode I've watched has been better than the first. So season 2 is a big drop off?

If you finished Peter Pan Live, you have an amazing force of will and I'm frightened of you. I would not fight you for money.

It was so fucking weird. I like Peter Pan. I like Allison Williams. I like Christopher Walken. HOLY SHIT. I do not like Christopher Walken as Captain Hook. Holy shit was so much about that strange. I don't recall feeling like this when I watched the Sandy Duncan one as a kid, but then again, I was a kid. I mean, I thought bologna was the pinnacle of lunch meats. Clearly my views during that time shouldn't be trusted.

I liked this half for relevant content, half for sharing both my childhood and adult views on bologna.

I turned off Peter Pan after the CROCODILE SUIT made an appearance. There was absolutely no chance that was being topped, it was time to go.

Most of what I saw was basically what I imagine Shigeru Miyamoto having nightmares about the world of the Teletubbies would look like.

They introduced some new characters in season 2 that everyone HAAAAAAATES, and it's gotten to the point that my friend who was trying to convince everyone to watch has started an apology tour.

Pretty much they went from fun MOTW with minor mythology building to MYTHARC PLOT HAMMER

Who does everyone hate?

I was kind of looking forward to Librarians since I liked Leverage so much. Was it that bad?

Didn't do much for me.  The writing didn't do much to make the new characters likable and much of the show looked really cheap.  My general impression was that it was Warehouse 13 done without a budget.  The couple fight scenes looked laughable.

I think it'd play better if Noah Wylie was going to be front and center, but he's only appearing occasionally.  I don't really think Rebecca Romijn is a strong enough presence to anchor a show.  

I'm just gonna say it: Girl Meets World Home For The Holidays is THE new classic for Christmas specials.

It was pretty good but no Eric Matthews was disappointing. However during a yahoo search it did say rumors are Eric, Feeny and a mystery character will appear in season 2.

I'm just gonna say it: Girl Meets World Home For The Holidays is THE new classic for Christmas specials.

It was pretty good but no Eric Matthews was disappointing. However during a yahoo search it did say rumors are Eric, Feeny and a mystery character will appear in season 2.

Minkus?

The actor that plays him seems to only show up in David Fincher films since One Tree Hill ended.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess he already appeared.