DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I'm just gonna say it: Girl Meets World Home For The Holidays is THE new classic for Christmas specials.

It was pretty good but no Eric Matthews was disappointing. However during a yahoo search it did say rumors are Eric, Feeny and a mystery character will appear in season 2.

Minkus?

The actor that plays him seems to only show up in David Fincher films since One Tree Hill ended.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess he already appeared.

In the Christmas episode they make a joke Minkus cloned himself and that's Riley/Maya friend.

Apparently, the official "anonymous pseudonym" chosen by Sarah Michelle Gellar for when she travels and when they have to refer to her without anyone knowing it's her (as revealed by the NORTHKOREAHACKERS!!!!!) is

Neely O'Hara.

Nerdgasms for everyone!!!!

I was kind of looking forward to Librarians since I liked Leverage so much. Was it that bad?

Didn't do much for me.  The writing didn't do much to make the new characters likable and much of the show looked really cheap.  My general impression was that it was Warehouse 13 done without a budget.  The couple fight scenes looked laughable.

I think it'd play better if Noah Wylie was going to be front and center, but he's only appearing occasionally.  I don't really think Rebecca Romijn is a strong enough presence to anchor a show.  

They blew their load in the first episode.  The Library gets broken into from within?  That is something you build towards a season ending episode not the opening episode.

The fight scenes were horrible.  It looked like they had no practice or training.

We watch the first half an hour last night and it wasn't good at all except for when Christian Kane was on screen. Wyle was terrible. He acts like I would if I was trying to be the Doctor or something. Terrible. Newhart's stammering is just sad when it's coming from a very old man.

In my hiatus from Friday Night Lights (I cant watch season 5, I just dont want it to end) I have reignited my love for Justified, the first season is so-so but the 2nd season so far is gripping stuff. Very easy to watch. And Natalie Zea is smoking hot!

I'm going to guess that I was the only one that watched the disaster that was The Newsroom last night.

Aaron Sorkin kicking that female writer out of the room because she dared to criticize how he handled a rape storyline really does sum him up entirely.

• Like 1

Is it bad that I didn't think Sarah Michelle Gellar was even famous enough anymore to require a "top secret pseudonym"?

Guys, all that matters is that either she has been secretly planning her star turn as Patty Duke in a remake of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS for years, or that the company she has worked for has secretly labelled her as "that type."

Either way is the best.

Are we talking about the Serial podcast in here or what?  I know it's not a tv show, but close enough, right?

Only on episode 6, and I'm thinking, "Jay was probably more involved in the killing than he was willing to admit but I'm still not convinced Adnan is innocent" right now.

Are we talking about the Serial podcast in here or what?  I know it's not a tv show, but close enough, right?

Only on episode 6, and I'm thinking, "Jay was probably more involved in the killing than he was willing to admit but I'm still not convinced Adnan is innocent" right now.

I think that's the most likely scenario.

Despite how it's continually reinforced there was no strong evidence against him, the state's case was probably far more solid than people realize. And for him to be genuinely innocent he'd have to be the victim of a lot of weird coincidences. Frigging hell, they found a note in his room where Hae complains about his angry response to the break up that he wrote "I'm going to kill" on. It looks very, very bad.

Jay's story that Adnan showed up out of nowhere with a corpse and he ended up helping for no real reason sounds as flimsy as fuck. So I'm guessing Adnan paid him to either help kill her or he was way more more involved in what happened. Hence why his story is so inconsistent: He's trying to tell as much truth as he can without implicating himself.

It's a fascinating case, but I don't know if it's that intriguing a Whodunnit.

Jay showing the cops where Hae's car was after murder is the detail that sticks out to me.  It's probably one of the main sources of credibility for him with the cops.  Whether he's lying about Adnan's killing Hae or not, Jay's knowledge of the location of the car forever links him to the murder.  I heard some theories about Jay finding the location through other sources or police guidance, but it seems to me you have to go to out-of-the-box theories to explain away Jay's knowledge of the car location before the shit hit the fan.  It doesn't click with me. 

Adnan admits he was hanging out with Jay at certain points of the day of Hae's murder, which doesn't mean Adnan killed her.  However, since Jay is linked to the murder, the idea of them hanging during that same day is never going to look good for Adnan.  The only way to explain it away would be some form of the "Jay is covering for someone else" theory.

Edited by _MJ_

The Adnan situation is weird: He probably did it. And this probably isn't some big injustice. But there is reasonable doubt so he should go free.

I just hope that if his appeal does go through and he's released, he's learned his lesson after 15 years and doesn't go on a strangling spree or something. Then Koenig is going to feel really stupid.

The Adnan situation is weird: He probably did it. And this probably isn't some big injustice. But there is reasonable doubt so he should go free.

I just hope that if his appeal does go through and he's released, he's learned his lesson after 15 years and doesn't go on a strangling spree or something. Then Koenig is going to feel really stupid.

There's the rub.  I've only follow the case through the podcasts, but from it, the main factors of Adnan's conviction seem to be based on Jay's testimony/story and the cell records.  Obviously, both of those factors don't hold up well under scrutiny.  Yet, I understand why Jay's story is convincing since he implicates himself in it (pretend you don't know about the plea deal here) and he knew where Hae's car ended up.

I still think it's going to be difficult to just straight up and release Adnan if his appeal goes through the system.  Right or wrong, I think the whole "Well, if he didn't do it then who did?" notion is powerful with people.  If he does get released then a whole lot of pressure is going to be put on a resolution to a 15 year old case, and I'm not sure if the city or system is down for it.  I know it's a foul think to say, but I think it could play a role.

There's the rub.  I've only follow the case through the podcasts, but from it, the main factors of Adnan's conviction seem to be based on Jay's testimony/story and the cell records.  Obviously, both of those factors don't hold up well under scrutiny.  Yet, I understand why Jay's story is convincing since he implicates himself in it (pretend you don't know about the plea deal here) and he knew where Hae's car ended up.

There's more evidence than just Jay though. Adnan's selective amnesia, the Nisha call, him getting caught in the lie about asking her for a ride and Adnan calling Hae three times the night before she was missing then not even trying to contact her after the cops told him she was missing. He knew fine well she was dead.

OK, so it's all circumstantial, but it is damning. And if he does go free, I don't think the cops should go on this big search for the real killer since they'll just end up pinning it on someone innocent.  

I can't believe I watched all 10 eps of Gracepoint. I have no excuse, I watched the first 3 in a row and said "Well, this mostly makes me want to see Broadchurch instead" but somehow I kept watching until ep 6, at which point there were ONLY FOUR MORE. It was okay. I liked it better than a lot of people but I wouldn't call it good. Now that it's over I will never think about it again.

I snagged season one and two of Are You Afraid of the Dark? off of iTunes. I loved it as a kid because I thought a lot of it was really scary and shit.

Watching some 20 years later (fucking hell..), it really is a brilliant show that wouldn't past today. Besides the obvious joke of good writing on a kids' show, there is a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly. Genuinely scary stuff. The actors were played to be regular kids (what a novel concept) and it makes for some good watching. This show dealt with murdered victims, demons, clowns. Pick something that scares you and this show had an episode dedicated to it. Most of the stories were only 18-20 minutes long, but they were able to tell the complete story without much bullshit to clog the story up. Some of my favorites has been:

The Tale of the Lonely Ghost. This is the story of a deaf girl that was accidentally killed by some bullies and she haunts the house she was killed in.

The Tale of the Dream Girl. This is the story of high school sweethearts that were killed in a car accident, however, one of them forgot about it. The result is that only his sister can see him.

The Tale of Old Man Corcoran. This is the story of two brothers trying to impress some kids while playing hide and go seek in the graveyard.

Are there some cheesy episodes that I can't watch because it's more sci-fi than horror? Yup. But there's a lot of good. I am watching eps 3 from the second season right now, and the story starts off with actual footage from the original Night of the Living Dead movie. Like woah.

I snagged season one and two of Are You Afraid of the Dark? off of iTunes. I loved it as a kid because I thought a lot of it was really scary and shit.

Watching some 20 years later (fucking hell..), it really is a brilliant show that wouldn't past today. Besides the obvious joke of good writing on a kids' show, there is a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly. Genuinely scary stuff. The actors were played to be regular kids (what a novel concept) and it makes for some good watching. This show dealt with murdered victims, demons, clowns. Pick something that scares you and this show had an episode dedicated to it. Most of the stories were only 18-20 minutes long, but they were able to tell the complete story without much bullshit to clog the story up. Some of my favorites has been:

The Tale of the Lonely Ghost. This is the story of a deaf girl that was accidentally killed by some bullies and she haunts the house she was killed in.

The Tale of the Dream Girl. This is the story of high school sweethearts that were killed in a car accident, however, one of them forgot about it. The result is that only his sister can see him.

The Tale of Old Man Corcoran. This is the story of two brothers trying to impress some kids while playing hide and go seek in the graveyard.

Are there some cheesy episodes that I can't watch because it's more sci-fi than horror? Yup. But there's a lot of good. I am watching eps 3 from the second season right now, and the story starts off with actual footage from the original Night of the Living Dead movie. Like woah.

Ever see any Real Ghostbusters episodes lately? That is also some scary shit. Boogieman freaked the fuck of me back in the day. . .

I have not. I feel like I need to check them out. Another good horror story show is RL Stine's The Haunting Hour. It's on the channel The Hub. I was not into Goosebumps because they were lame as fuck, but the good news about this show is that most of the episodes don't feel like RL wrote them. Probably because he didn't.

There was this really good episode of a teenager who stole a dress to impressed some rich teenager. The shop owner didn't press charges, just traded the dress for her eyesight.

You don't blood and guts and spit and ass everywhere to tell a good story. Don't need all that cursing shit either if you know what the hell you are doing.