DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that pretty much every role model people looked up to in the 80s and 90s (Cosby, Rolf Harris, Savile, Cliff Richard etc) is hiding some deep awful secret.

I'm half expecting to find out Barney the Dinosaur was a sex offender next.

• Like 1

If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that pretty much every role model people looked up to in the 80s and 90s (Cosby, Rolf Harris, Savile, Cliff Richard etc) is hiding some deep awful secret.

Nope, that was Elmo.

So 16 women have now come forward to accuse Bill Cosby of rape.

This could very well be heading into Jimmy Savile territory now. Especially since women, overwhelmingly, are reluctant to come forward about sexual assault.

Yes: 16 may be a fraction of the real number.

Honestly, Cosby's best bet is to just retire from the public eye for the rest of his life.

I like how the new Black Dynamite episode from last night was produced several months ago and still got in some stuff about Cosby being a serial rapist.

"You mean jello-loving, date raping Bill Cosby?"

The purple bastard only came around when adults were out of the room. A child's imagination is what it was attributed to.  Hmph.  More like a child's repressed memories coming back to haunt them.

And no, I am not joking.

• Like 1

Nope, that was Elmo.

Betty White is next. Don't we all know deep down inside the woman is a remorseless sexual predator whose reign of terror has spanned decades?

I've acquired all 5 seasons on Friday Night Lights based on the amount of talk about it on this thread. Don't make me regret it.

Looks like another person is taking the blue pill. Welcome. We've been expecting you.

We're expecting all of you. We are legion.

• Like 3

I'm starting to feel a bit bad for Katherine Heigl. Just the way she's been forced to go on apology tour and it gets brought up in every single interview. It's very uncomfortable. Like, yeah, maybe she is rude sometimes, but you know, there are worst things for a TV star to be...as has been mentioned in this thread. People are acting like she's the first actress to ever be demanding or difficult.

Also, she was in Under Siege 2. That alone gives her a place in my heart.

This is why I hate American television...

414_luther_04feb13.jpg?crop=0px%2C21px%2

November 18, 2014 | 09:00AM PT

Fox is taking a shot at a U.S. rendition of the BBC detective drama "Luther" with series creator Neil Cross.

The network has given a put pilot commitment to the project, which will be written by Cross for 20th Century Fox TV, Chernin Entertainment and BBC Worldwide Prods.

Original series star Idris Elba is on board as an exec producer but is not expected to star in the Yank version. Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope, Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner also exec produce.

Elba has earned praise and kudos for his work as a savvy detective troubled by the brutal murder of his wife. The series ran for three seasons on the BBC, starting in 2010, and has aired Stateside on BBC America.

Cross has said there are no plans for a fourth season in the U.K., but there has been chatter about a possible “Luther” feature.

Deal for “Luther” has been in the works at Fox for some time. The network this season is airing another Brit-TV redo, “Gracepoint,” based on the ITV murder mystery “Broadchurch.” “Gracepoint” has drawn mixed reviews, in comparison to the original series, and only modest ratings for Fox.

In addition to “Luther,” Cross was creator/exec producer of the pirate drama “Crossbones,” which had a summer run on NBC this year.

Cross is repped by UTA, Michael McCoy at Independent Talent Group in the U.K. and attorney Fred Toczek.

The Broadchurch / Gracepoint experiment is clearly failing so why not just license a new season of Luther with original cast and location instead of shoehorning it in some American city?

This is why I hate American television...

414_luther_04feb13.jpg?crop=0px%2C21px%2

November 18, 2014 | 09:00AM PT

Fox is taking a shot at a U.S. rendition of the BBC detective drama "Luther" with series creator Neil Cross.

The network has given a put pilot commitment to the project, which will be written by Cross for 20th Century Fox TV, Chernin Entertainment and BBC Worldwide Prods.

Original series star Idris Elba is on board as an exec producer but is not expected to star in the Yank version. Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope, Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner also exec produce.

Elba has earned praise and kudos for his work as a savvy detective troubled by the brutal murder of his wife. The series ran for three seasons on the BBC, starting in 2010, and has aired Stateside on BBC America.

Cross has said there are no plans for a fourth season in the U.K., but there has been chatter about a possible “Luther” feature.

Deal for “Luther” has been in the works at Fox for some time. The network this season is airing another Brit-TV redo, “Gracepoint,” based on the ITV murder mystery “Broadchurch.” “Gracepoint” has drawn mixed reviews, in comparison to the original series, and only modest ratings for Fox.

In addition to “Luther,” Cross was creator/exec producer of the pirate drama “Crossbones,” which had a summer run on NBC this year.

Cross is repped by UTA, Michael McCoy at Independent Talent Group in the U.K. and attorney Fred Toczek.

The Broadchurch / Gracepoint experiment is clearly failing so why not just license a new season of Luther with original cast and location instead of shoehorning it in some American city?

Oh GOD NO. FUCK FOX. . . .

I actually feel like a remake of Luther could be an improvement.  Elba was great, but I generally feel like the series as a whole was over-the-top ridiculous. 

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here, though.

Its not just Elba though, Ruth Wilson is such a treat as Alice. . . 

• Like 1

I bet they cast a white guy in the Luther remake.  Maybe rename it "Slater".

Okay, maybe not but it wouldn't be shocking

Season 3 definitely needed to be reeled in.

You have to think that the reboot will resemble the original show in name only since Seasons 2 and 3 are pretty much glorified miniseries events.  Fox's will want their seasons to last longer than four total episodes.

If they keep Paradise Circus by Massive Attack as the official theme song for the re-image, that could help ease the pain.

I've acquired all 5 seasons on Friday Night Lights based on the amount of talk about it on this thread. Don't make me regret it.

Looks like another person is taking the blue pill. Welcome. We've been expecting you.

We're expecting all of you. We are legion.

I have cut down to watching 2 episodes a week. I dont want it to end!!!

• Like 1

I kinda liked State of Affairs.  But I thought it was awfully odd to choose the name "Fatah" for the big terrorist villain.  Fatah, of course, is the name of the more moderate Palestinian faction (as opposed to Hamas, whose military wing is considered by many to be a terrorist organization).  Seems a bit shady for them to pick the name of a relative 'good guy' in the region to be their big bad guy.  

I kinda liked State of Affairs.  But I thought it was awfully odd to choose the name "Fatah" for the big terrorist villain.  Fatah, of course, is the name of the more moderate Palestinian faction (as opposed to Hamas, whose military wing is considered by many to be a terrorist organization).  Seems a bit shady for them to pick the name of a relative 'good guy' in the region to be their big bad guy.  

I didn't watch the show and I know its a silly sticking point but I cant get my head around the fact that I would think the CIA would have rules about someone with a personal tie to an issue being that involved in it.

The lesson of the Cosby stuff is that Hannibal Burress can wreck your whole life and career with one passing comment at a comedy show.

So don't piss off Hannibal Burress.

Especially if you have a sordid, terrible past.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, it really was just a matter of time until someone well-known said "Hey, wait a minute this guy has been accused of rape mutliple times..." Especially if NBC were giving him a new sitcom.

Cosby also set himself up for it by trying to make himself a role model and telling black men how to behave. Uh, Bill, the only one who needs to pull their pants up is you. It pissed off people, like Hannibal.

• Like 1