DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

King trying to pay her off isn't shocking at all. But her turning it down is. It pretty strongly suggests she wasn't after a payday and wanted justice for what happened.

IDK she never filed a civil suit to cash in on Tyson's criminal conviction and she's never used the infamy for personal gain so yeah, I honestly think that she truly wanted justice and get her life back in order.

I believe that Tyson raped her.  I also believe that Tyson doesn't believe it was rape.

Like Bill Clinton, I think that Tyson's concepts of what "sex" is are borderline Neanderthal. 

• Like 1

This is in poor judgment but I can see myself coming to Tyson's defense far easier than I can to, say, Art Barr. When I just re-read all the stuff about Barr taking the lie detector test and all that, it just came off as he was being disingenuous and a completely guilty sack of shit. I suppose I feel sympathy towards Tyson because he isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer and has been manipulated by everyone in his life besides Cus to a ridiculous amount. It's a shitty way to feel about somebody who is a probable rapist. 

Yuck. 2014, the Year of Rape and Domestic Violence Scandals... just like last year.

• Like 1

This is in poor judgment but I can see myself coming to Tyson's defense far easier than I can to, say, Art Barr. When I just re-read all the stuff about Barr taking the lie detector test and all that, it just came off as he was being disingenuous and a completely guilty sack of shit.

People find ways to let their heroes off the hook.  We are all hypocrites and I am no different.

I keep telling myself that Barr was just an idiot who got caught doing something highly immoral, got scared of the consequences, and then tried to cover his own tracks just as a child runs for Krazy Glue after he breaks his mother's favorite flower vase.  It doesn't explain nor excuse what he did.

Same with Tyson.  Rape is still rape even if you are mentally inept.

I try to enjoy their athletic achievement while still condemning them as humans. 

I am as flawed of a person as they are.

Well, maybe not since I have never done anything that horrible in my life.

I have done 80 in a 70 MPH zone and have maybe taped a live television broadcast without the expressed written consent of the wrestling federation in question.  There is also that computer stuff, but Microsoft deserved it..

So back to TV news - it looks like Constantine could be toast

John Constantine might not go to hell, but he’s headed straight to broadcast TV purgatory.

NBC has decided to halt production on Friday night’s Constantine, capping the series at its initial order of 13 episodes.

The network says the show is not canceled and could come back next season. But it’s ratings don’t make a hugely compelling case: Constantine is averaging 4.2 million viewers and a 1.3 rating among adults 18-49 at 10 p.m., coming out of Grimm‘s 5.8 million and 1.6 rating.

NBC has been struggling to find a companion for Grimm on the evening, trying Hannibal (which returns in midseason) and Dracula, but nothing has managed to break out from a ratings standpoint.

What is NBC expecting?

You are in one of the worst time slots at Friday at 10PM.  You have a similar show at 9 in Grimm but yours is darker.  The ratings are good, all things considered.

But then again this is NBC who thought green lighting Bad Judge on Thursday nights in their prime spot was a good idea.

If it gets cut I expect SyFy will pick it up.

If you read the Deadline article about it, it's clear this has more to do with CONSTANTINE getting a late start in October than the ratings, which as I mentioned are better than the last 2 shows they tried in that spot.

Basically, with only 4 or 5 episodes aired so far, they didn't have enough data to make a definitive call on it, so they played it safe and just capped the season at 13 eps. I'll be surprised if it isn't back next season, at this point.

This will sound bad, but whatever:

For being a smart group, the collective here makes absolutely no sense whatsoever when it comes to gender politics.

This shouldn't reallty be focused on this group as much as society as a whole.  People really believe that people get paid for accusing people of rape...where the fuck does this money come from?  People get paid to shut up, people don't get paid after they already told the entire world that someone raped them.  What else could they say that was worse?  People ae saying that these 15+ women are trying to get money out of Bill Cosby, when they aren't even the reason we're talking about this.  These women didn't start this conversation about Bill Cosby and his rapes, Hannibal Burress did.  When they brought it up in the past no one listened to them.  There is no money coming to any of them, why pay someone not to say something that they have been saying for years.

For being a smart group, the collective here makes absolutely no sense whatsoever when it comes to gender politics.

I agree that it sounds bad.  For one, views held by a "collective" are often contradictory.  If you poll the US populace, you'll likely get majorities in favor of (a.) lowering taxes, (b.) maintaining levels of spending on safety net programs and the military, and (c.) reducing the budget deficit.  The fact that you can't plausibly do all those things at once doesn't change that "collective" view.  

To put it another way, if you wrote out what your perception is of the DVDVR collective view of gender politics, I imagine less than a majority would be willing to fully sign on to it.  So what is the collective view?  There really isn't one, I suspect.

Also, you're not being at all specific.  What is allegedly wrong with the collective's gender politics?  Without being clear on this point, I'm not sure what is to be gained from your comment.  I'd truly like to know, since this is obviously a heavily male-skewed group, and you can provide a refreshingly different perspective.  But this comment amounts to "Y'all are morons", which I don't find particularly illuminating.

I agree that it sounds bad.  For one, views held by a "collective" are often contradictory.  If you poll the US populace, you'll likely get majorities in favor of (a.) lowering taxes, (b.) maintaining levels of spending on safety net programs and the military, and (c.) reducing the budget deficit.  The fact that you can't plausibly do all those things at once doesn't change that "collective" view.  

To put it another way, if you wrote out what your perception is of the DVDVR collective view of gender politics, I imagine less than a majority would be willing to fully sign on to it.  So what is the collective view?  There really isn't one, I suspect.

Also, you're not being at all specific.  What is allegedly wrong with the collective's gender politics?  Without being clear on this point, I'm not sure what is to be gained from your comment.  I'd truly like to know, since this is obviously a heavily male-skewed group, and you can provide a refreshingly different perspective.  But this comment amounts to "Y'all are morons", which I don't find particularly illuminating.

You're right.  I've shouldn't have started.  Because while I have an opinion and don't particularly mind sharing it, I'm not looking to start an argument either. And it would derail the thread. I just find the discussion to be misguided is all. My apologies.

I will say: I do think it's astounding people ask things like "Why don't more rape victims come forward?"

Well, how about the fact that are literally 20 women saying a man raped them and many doubt it, think they're lying and the guy is getting standing ovations?

So imagine how one woman would feel if she knows it's just her.

• Like 1

I've found that I'm watching shockingly few tv shows these days, like, maybe 5.  Has tv gotten that bad?

I'm watching a lot less too...Brooklyn 99, gave up on Mulaney after this week, Walking Dead, New Girl, The Middle, Modern Family (kinda over both these shows but they are the only ones I watch with my wife), Key and Peele. I used to fill up my DVR.

I've found that I'm watching shockingly few tv shows these days, like, maybe 5.  Has tv gotten that bad?

Same here.  Walking Dead, Deadliest Catch, Constantine, Gold Rush (used to be involved in a lot of gold stuff and knew people up in the Yukon), Finding Bigfoot (best comedy and editing on TV), South Park, they moved Sunny so that is lost, and maybe a few others but nothing special. 

I cannot justify anything more than a basic package because, quite simply, most of it is garbage. 

I will say this for Gold Rush, that is Tony Beets in real life.  Seriously, that man is a legend. 

I knew the guys that owned that land where the Hoffmans worked in the Yukon.

isn't this about tv shows? When did it become the rapes of wrath?

It's random TV thoughts though and the Cosby thing is all over TV...

news does not count as tv.

I'm not sure there is a TMZ style of thread though.

If there was, it wouldn't last 4 pages.