DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I've found that I'm watching shockingly few tv shows these days, like, maybe 5.  Has tv gotten that bad?

I'm watching a lot less too...Brooklyn 99, gave up on Mulaney after this week, Walking Dead, New Girl, The Middle, Modern Family (kinda over both these shows but they are the only ones I watch with my wife), Key and Peele. I used to fill up my DVR.

The loss of Psych, HIMYM and Breaking Bad have left definite voids.  Seems like any other show I try to get into ends up being largely bad(Gotham, SHIELD) or gets axed(Almost Human). 

Not sure of how many of you are latin, but possibly the greatest Mexican comedian ever; Roberto Gomez Bolaños known as Chespirito passed away yesterday.

:(

My girlfriend got me into the Mindy Project and I really love it. I can't explain it either.

The very sound of Mindy Kaling's voice makes me want to slash her car tires.  The show is clever but I do not find the humor very funny.

Having watched this show, Big Bang Project, and Royal Pains, I have come to the conclusion that there must be some law in California that allows Indian actors to only make out with white people of the opposite sex.

I would love to see Raj date a sister, especially if Dokes were cast as her protective older brother.

6fa.jpg

I lost interest in Storage Wars, but found Barry's spin-off show to be lots of fun. Barry is a guy that I'd hang with, as he seems as eccentric as I am and still has a genuine love for cool things. The number of shows that I make it a point to watch as opposed to just leaving the tv on while doing something else has really shrunk to the point that once SOA finishes, there really isn't a single non-wrestling related program that's on the rotation (except Walking Dead, which is a major event round these parts, so much so that people know not to bother us Sunday evening because we are either watching it or talking about it.). We're eagerly awaiting Better Call Saul (even moreso after seeing the Mike cameo), and I can watch River Monsters for hours at a time, but that's really about it. I should check out Constantine while I await the return of Game of Thrones.

Watched that first series of Black Adder. Pretty good. God damn theme song is in my head though.

And thats easily the weakest of the four series.
Yeah, I remember seeing it when I was a senior in High School and I liked it but was kinda " eh". Then PBS started showing Blackadder 2 and I remember laughing my ass off to the point of tears every episode.
  • Like 1

Sleepy Hollow is fucking awesome. Just got into it on Hulu Plus. My big fear though, is that they're just blazing through so much material so fast. It feels like it should be more of a mini series in that regard, except I think it's going to run for seven years. If that's the goal, they're going to get through everything by season three and then it will be rehashing previous stuff or mucking up the mythology in a very bad, X-Files type of way.

Until then, I'm enjoying it greatly.

I stopped watching all the Storage Wars shows when they became really bad and blatant about planting objects, not to mention insanely overvaluing things. I do miss seeing Jenna from Storage Wars Texas though...

Sleepy Hollow is fucking awesome. Just got into it on Hulu Plus. My big fear though, is that they're just blazing through so much material so fast. It feels like it should be more of a mini series in that regard, except I think it's going to run for seven years. If that's the goal, they're going to get through everything by season three and then it will be rehashing previous stuff or mucking up the mythology in a very bad, X-Files type of way.

Until then, I'm enjoying it greatly.

I can see that ending getting retconned big time. It might simply be another trick.

Watched that first series of Black Adder. Pretty good. God damn theme song is in my head though.

And thats easily the weakest of the four series.
Yeah, I remember seeing it when I was a senior in High School and I liked it but was kinda " eh". Then PBS started showing Blackadder 2 and I remember laughing my ass off to the point of tears every episode.

I usually say my rank is 2,3,4,1 but each has great episodes (potato, highwayman, hospital, witchsmeller as my favs per season).

It goes off they ails pretty badly in season 2.

Fuck. Really? Any reason why? Different producer and writers, or just no clear direction beyond season 1? From what I gather, season 1 continues to be very strong and ends well. Thus far, each episode I've watched has been better than the first. So season 2 is a big drop off?

If you finished Peter Pan Live, you have an amazing force of will and I'm frightened of you. I would not fight you for money.

It was so fucking weird. I like Peter Pan. I like Allison Williams. I like Christopher Walken. HOLY SHIT. I do not like Christopher Walken as Captain Hook. Holy shit was so much about that strange. I don't recall feeling like this when I watched the Sandy Duncan one as a kid, but then again, I was a kid. I mean, I thought bologna was the pinnacle of lunch meats. Clearly my views during that time shouldn't be trusted.

• Like 1

They introduced some new characters in season 2 that everyone HAAAAAAATES, and it's gotten to the point that my friend who was trying to convince everyone to watch has started an apology tour.

Pretty much they went from fun MOTW with minor mythology building to MYTHARC PLOT HAMMER

Speaking of Peter Pan Live, what is with NBC doing these live performances lately?  I remember the one last year with Carrie Underwood being weird too.  I mean, I kinda like it because it's such a throwback to the early days of television, but it also tells me that NBC has zero faith  in their regular lineup.