DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I love Silverado so much. John Cleese is so fucking KING SIZED in the brief part he is in. This and Best Seller were the 2 movies that got me exposed to the awesomeness og Brian Dennehey!

James

The thing I remember most is Linda Hunt as the bartender

She was great but I kind of wish they had given her more chance to be a tough, worldly person.  In a movie that is not at all ashamed to pile on the satisfying emotional moments, she would have handled that little pop gun better than Jeff Goldblum.

Just marathoned the last season of THE KILLING and it's everything, good and bad, the show always was from the beginning.

Potentially intriguing central mystery? Check.

Big revelations that end up meaning nothing? Check.

Sexually exploited minors? Check, although not nearly as prevalent as the first three seasons.

Linden & Holder getting part of the solution right, then stumbling ass-first onto the rest? Check.

Add in some cameos, the aftermath of Linden shooting Skinner being tied up in a neat little package, and the last few minutes the show turning into a chick flick, and there you have it.

mal_zpsc005801d.jpg "

I have to admit during Danny Glover's first scene in the saloon I kind of made an ass of myself because I couldn't stop chiming in with witticisms like:

"I'll have a bottle of whiskey"

{to celebrate being one day away from retirement}

and

"I haven't had a drink of whiskey or slept in a bed for ten days.

{and I'm getting to old for that shit}

Yeah.  Fucking lame, really.  But it's so hard not to.

I'd also add Fort Apache to the previous John Ford recommendations (Liberty Valance, Searchers), I continually flip flop between it and The Searchers as my favourite of his films. Even though he'd already done Stagecoach and They Were Expendable with Ford, it really is the movie where John Wayne takes over from Henry Fonda as Ford's quintessential leading man (especially as Ford's movies start to take a more conservative viewpoint in the 2nd half of his career).

Shirley Temple is hella cute in it too. Haven't really seen any of her other adult roles.

My Darling Clementine is a pretty top notch film as well, although you may be Wyatt Earp'd out. Victor Mature is pretty great as Doc, too...although very, um, robust for a man dying of tb.

Basically, John Ford is the best (especially if Ward Bond is around).

I enjoyed 3:10 TO YUMA up until the final sequences.  It annoyed me that, in a movie that built its tension of the genuineness of the killing skills of the two leads, would, at the moment of truth, deflate all that by having the army of people shooting at them apparently be trained at the Cobra Commander School of Combat.

After they basically just waltzed through the first 30 or 40 rounds it became clear that nothing I was going to see for the next 20 minutes was going to matter.  Just a bunch of noise and squibs accomplishing nothing. Like, why would I feel any drama or tension there when I know they're just going to crawl and skip around leaving human-shaped bullet-hole patterns in the walls around them?

It didn't ruin the whole movie, but it was so much the thing we were building toward that it cheapened everything else that had happened.  It's not an uncommon issue in action movies and it's something I accept without irony in a John Woo movie, but this was supposed to be more meditative and a little more real than that.  Like with Bale being not a superman, but just a man, they prepped us for something less John Cena-esque but then gave us the full bulletproof Cena.

But HOLY SHIT was tonight a score.  I took a chance on a movie that most people's lady-friends could not sit through...that hell, most dudes have a hard time sitting through, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.  I thought we'd make it halfway through the opening sequence  or so before she tapped out.  But she went ape shit over the whole thing...she cried when Jason Robards died...and we ended up sitting through the whole thing AND THEN THE WILD BUNCH!!!

Two movies that are, either one of them alone, challenging to anyone but your Criterion nerd set, and she loved it all.  That's 5 1/2 hours of this stuff.  Guys, I think there's no limit to this thing I've got going on and I'm planning on riding the wave as long as I can.  This is the "watching movies with your girl" equivalent of Sting-tantric sex.  

I'M INVINCIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M IMPERVIOUS TO ROMCOMS FOREVER!!!!!!

DO YOU HEAR ME???? NO COMEUPANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I had forgotten, not having watched it since I was in my 20s, what a great line THE WILD BUNCH ends on:

"It ain't what it used to be.  But it'll do."

I've been wondering about that one. Does it have the Constner "Hollywood cheese" effect? Or does he tone it down enough to make something not so swoopy and GoneWithTheWindy?

Nah, Duvall owns the movie and keeps all that away. Speaking of Duvall and westerns , all 6 hours of Lonesome Dove are pretty fucking essential.

Not really a western, but has the same vibe as one: The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada (starring and directed by Tommy Lee Jones). Also has Melissa Leo, Barry Pepper, Dwight Yoakam and January Jones. 

God, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is so damn great it's worth typing out the do name on me phone.

I have always maintained that this movie rules.

• Like 1