DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Someone on twitter said Karen Gillan's accent in Selfie was as bad as Tennant's in Rex is not your Lawyer.

Tennant's American accent in Gracepoint is so God awful. Gillan's isn't as terrible, but she sounds more like an actress who's worked on her accent by watching '90s teen comedies than an actual American.

I don't get it. Is there any particular reason their characters have to be from the states? You can be a detective working in America...and British.

I always liked that in most Arnie movies they never tried to get him to do a horrible American accent...or even really bothered explaining why the lead character had such an obvious Austrian accent.  You just went with it.

I always liked that in most Arnie movies they never tried to get him to do a horrible American accent...or even really bothered explaining why the lead character had such an obvious Austrian accent.  You just went with it.

Obvious Austrian accent with the most American names

MAHR NAME IS DETECTIVE JOHN KIMBAHL

In German he is usually dubbed by some guy speaking a perfect accentless German. Somehow I did not realize that it was not himself doing the dubbing so I was somewhat surprised when I heard him (Arnie himself) speak German for the first time. Let's put it that way: his Styrian accent is much heavier when he speaks in German than we he speaks English.

List of Arnie character names (post TERMINATOR):

John Matrix
Dutch
Ben Richards
Ivan Danko
Julius Benedict
Douglas Quaid
John Kimble
Jack Slater
Harry Tasker
John Kruger
Jericho Cane (seriously...in a movie about the apocalypse...Fucking freshman-year screenwriting class hacks!)
Adam Gibson
Gordy Brewer
Ray Owens
John Wharton

I've noticed that no matter what I watch on Netflix, they inevitably end up recommending Netflix original shows to me.

I feel shenanigans are afoot.

Thank you four your purchase of a 18th-century hand butter churn from Amazon.com.  Based on your purchase, we think you might be interested in:

This Kindle Fire!

Amazon Fire T.V.!

This other Kindle Fire!

some slaves! (who might need Kindle Fires)

Tennant is one of those actors who becomes roughly 100 times less charismatic if you make him do a terrible accent.

See also: Jonny Lee Miller.

What was the movie with Liam Neeson and Patrick Swayze where Neeson had that fucking backwoods hick accent?

The pilot episode of Penny Dreadful did not suck, but it does feel like the dumbed down horror version of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  It even has Mina Harker as a supporting character.

The guy playing Victor Frankenstein hit a home run.  He is the right mix of intellectual snob and fucking lunatic.