DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

This was brought up on this week's Giant Bombcast, but I never thought about it before...

So...Did it ever dawn on anyone that Mario Mario is just a plumber and not a fucking doctor? He has no medical license and yet he's acting like he's a doctor, handing out drugs and medicine to folks in the Mushroom Kingdom. 

How the hell do you know he's not a doctor?  Maybe he went to night school, pal.

Miyamoto said so.

And took up professional go-karting at the same time.

Shit, does Mario ever sleep?

Clearly not because he's all fucked up on the methamphetamine he stashes away for himself when he's not dealing out illegal prescriptions in the Mushroom Kingdom's pill mill.

JUST SAY NO

Want to know why Mario is around doing all this shit?

It's because he's a drug dealer. For fucks sake. He spends a considerable amount of time in a place called the Mushroom Kingdom.

This was brought up on this week's Giant Bombcast, but I never thought about it before...

So...Did it ever dawn on anyone that Mario Mario is just a plumber and not a fucking doctor? He has no medical license and yet he's acting like he's a doctor, handing out drugs and medicine to folks in the Mushroom Kingdom. 

How the hell do you know he's not a doctor?  Maybe he went to night school, pal.

Miyamoto said so.

I know this isn't the case because the following is a quote from the guy on the subject and the final sentence is one of my favourites:

"There's really only one rule in terms of the things that Mario does. Generally, it's that he's more on the blue-collar side. He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature. So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario. Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate."

Another Miyamoto quote relevant to the initial question:

"If you're familiar with things like Popeye and some of the old comic characters, you would oftentimes see this cast of characters that takes on different roles depending on the comic or cartoon. They might be businessman in one [cartoon] or a pirate in another. Depending on the story that was being told, they would change roles. So, to a certain degree, I look at our characters in a similar way and feel that they can take on different roles in different games. It's more like they're one big family, or maybe a troupe of actors."

Never mind Mario not having a medical license, who the fuck let Tom Cruise fly that fighter jet?

And took up professional go-karting at the same time.

Shit, does Mario ever sleep?

Clearly not because he's all fucked up on the methamphetamine he stashes away for himself when he's not dealing out illegal prescriptions in the Mushroom Kingdom's pill mill.

JUST SAY NO

Mario is the mushroom kingdom's Boyd Crowder. Does that make Yoshi his Wynn Duffy?

• Like 2

Is there any interest in a DVDR Warframe clan? I started playing the game yesterday with AaronMLuke, had fun talking Daniel Bryan, Summer Slam, and shitty wrestling fans while he destroyed everything in our path.

• Like 1

I also started Dishonored. Seems fun so far. I like that while stealth is optimal, when I screw it up (and I always do), merciless slaughter is also a valid enough option.

As always, though, first person melee takes some getting used to...

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine is basically Oceans 11 as a top-down video game.

I'm not even close to acing any of the levels so far. I get through them but that's it. Speed runs that get all the coins? This is some serious business those people are involved in.

Pretty neat. To be honest the fact it has Steam Workshop integration is the thing that excites me the most since it seems like the kind of game you could really pump out a whole lot of good levels for, so I get the sense it's long-term playability is pretty high.

• Like 1

Is there any interest in a DVDR Warframe clan? I started playing the game yesterday with AaronMLuke, had fun talking Daniel Bryan, Summer Slam, and shitty wrestling fans while he destroyed everything in our path.

Good times man good times. Gotta love any conversation that brings up the ring crew express,vac,KENTA and my inability to pronounce Devitt. Oh.Table I will eventually beat all your table scores on Zen pinball. ;)

I picked up Halo Anniversary for $9.99 used at Best Buy.

I decided that I was a big boy and could handle the original game on Legendary. Boy am I going to regret this decision based on what little I played of the first mission before getting ready for Summerslam last night.

I'm thinking about buying Madden 15 this year (I typically take a few years off between installments).  I can't seem find anything definitive online about whether the Xbox 360 version has a stand-alone franchise mode or if it's strictly online-only (the "connected franchise" feature).  Does anybody have any idea?  If franchise is online-only and I can't play my own single player franchise, yeah, no thanks.

So Phil Fish lost his damn mind...on Twitter...again...

We apparently don't deserve Fez 2, or something, along with many other insane ramblings.

To be fair, the dudes yelling at him all day and threatening his friends in the industry with death and rape threats don't deserve much of anything.

EDIT: pre-emptive "fuck yourself" to anyone thinking about saying he should "grow a thicker skin." They shouldn't have to correct for people being awful. No one should.

• Like 1