DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Resident Evil is getting an HD remake for current/next gens. Release is early next year. I know the series hasn't aged well, but giving the first game a facelift is definitely a good thing. Now, about RE2 and 3...

A face lift and abandoning tank controls for a free aim 3PS system would rekindile my interest in Res Evil.

I have been spoiled by ME3 co-op multiplayer.

The supposed "remake" is basically going to be the Gamecube version that was released in the early 2000s with some new camera angles.

EDIT:

Konami might as well do the same thing with MGS1 and just upgrade the Twin Snakes release.

Also, digitally release MGS IV for the Xbox Marketplace, already!

So I've never played Deus EX: GOTY Edition before the last couple weeks. And I'm really close to calling it the most laughably overrated game of all time. The stealth mechanics are bad. The way you shoot people in the head and they get mildly agitated (in an attempt to force you into the bad stealth mechanics) is bad. The way the stealth pistol is ridiculously gimped because if it wasn't you'd actually win at the game is bad. The way you can access a menu, come out of it, and the game automatically brings you out of crouching is bad. The way you can fall off ladders because your camera isn't squared exactly right is bad. The way every single enemy in the game carries a useless knife that takes up space in your inventory is bad.

Through two chapters best weapons in the game by far are the stun gun and the police baton because the game is set up to basically force you to use those two if you don't want to play it like DOOM and have people swarming you. Which you are actually much better off doing, for the most part. I mean I got the hostages out of the subway by finally saying fuck it to stealth (after a couple dozen failed stealth rescue attempts), just rocket launching the guys guarding the entrance, and shooting the hell out of everyone else. Hostages saved, I get a lecture about my violent ways. But this is how shit gets done in America, son. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.

The parts where you can wander around and not fight are cool. I liked the cloak and dagger shit where you're digging for info in a bar, and sneaking into your brother's hotel room to access his secret James Bond computer hidden in the wall. But man the combat in this game is turrible if you actually try and stealth it. Why is this so highly rated, as in "often pimped as best PC game ever made"? Because it has a very basic skill tree?

It isn't exactly Perfect Dark let's put it that way.

• Like 1

(all that stuff)

THANK YOU. FUCK.

Deus Ex is garbage that plays like garbage, with a dull plot and garbage voice acting. Sure, atmosphere or whatever, but touching that game makes me want to build a pull-up bar in my back yard to counteract how useless all the everything in that game is. That it ever gets mentioned as Great, much less The Best, is absurd. Fuck dice rolls on bullets forever.

EDIT: Oh, um, for topicality- I've been playing a lot of NUCLEAR THRONE and it's still great, the Dota 2 phase seems to have bottomed out, and I just bought more synthesizers for DSes.

A game has never made me as rage quitty in a long time as Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Of course that could be because my son is insisting on playing on hard and then REFUSING to learn attack patterns

Grr....

A game has never made me as rage quitty in a long time as Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Of course that could be because my son is insisting on playing on hard and then REFUSING to learn attack patterns

Grr....

Wait until we post our Let's Play in that game. We used the Wii U, which meant we couldn't use Gamecube controllers.... it was terrible.

Fuck you two.

I feel betrayed by you Death from Above.

Sometimes the truth is painful.

I made children cry telling the truth about Vice City too.

Lots of "classics" suck. Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall sucks. It's stealth mechanics are about as equally broken as Deus Ex come to think of it. I still loved Morrowind and Skyrim, you know?

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is probably the worst AC game so far. ACII was/is so perfect (the stealth was tremendous, where if you get detected, it was your fault, not the game's), but AC:B just can't get the basics right. You hire women and they should distract the guards. Do they get distracted? Nope, they instantly aggro on you anyway if they see you.

Brotherhood was awesome, only a slight step down from 2 IMO. Revelations was rough, and 3 was obviously very disappointing.

After you hire the courtesans, you need to target the guards you want to distract and then send them over. They don't just flock to them if you telepathically try to control them.

Ahhhh I'd forgotten how long, boring and tedious the Mexico portion of Red Dead Redemption is.

"Where is Javier Esquila?"
"I'll tell you, just help me with squashing the revolution"

"Where is Javier Esquila?"
"I'll tell you, just help me with overthrowing the government"

"Okay I've done that, "Where is Javier Esquila?"
"I'll tell you in a bit, I still need your help. Go burn a village"

"Okay I've done that. Where is Javier Esquila?"
"The revolution still needs your help señor marston..."

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!! And the map is bloody pointless - just
vast wastes of nothing and barely any side missions. I wish you'd had to just pick a side for the revolution and complete missions solely for them...or better yet just partnered up with Langdon Ricketts to help you track the outlaws. Just so lame.

With all that said I've finally made it to Blackwater/my favourite part of the game though. And upgraded my outfit to full on Rooster Cogburn:

reddeadredemption_assassinsoutfit.jpg

• Like 1

So, in the mass of games I'm playing:

The Cave is interesting.  Puzzles aren't that hard, premise and story are funny.  Decent time killer.

Vessel is odd.  Controls are a little loose, not much explaination as to what's going on and why.  Puzzles ok except the one I'm in now that's more irritating than anything.

Crysis 3 is fun enough for a FPS.  Enemies are friggin hard to spot though, and only the humans are taggable, the Ceph all run around, are hard to hit, and are bullet sponges as well.

I also picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD.  I'm sad, since its missing the Create-a-Skater from 2, and that it seems to have not aged well, even with the HD update.  Its just missing the magic it had the first time I played it.

Beat Smash Brothers Brawl last night.

Somehow we did it despite my son picking Rob to be in the party.

Fuck Rob

How do you "beat" Smash Bros???

Also, I liked ROB in that game. Not one of my top tier guys (Pikachu, Wolf, and Lucario), but solid.

Brotherhood was awesome, only a slight step down from 2 IMO. Revelations was rough, and 3 was obviously very disappointing.

After you hire the courtesans, you need to target the guards you want to distract and then send them over. They don't just flock to them if you telepathically try to control them.

Yeah, what he said.  Though I liked AC3 a lot more than most.  It definitely had issues but overall was still "good".