DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

I didn't know about the book or that they were making a movie about it until my wife told me because she was like "Yeah... my students told me that I have to read the book." Then she did and despised it.

I'm severely disappointed the Giver isn't in Black and White.

Seriously... it SHOULD be Black and White. At least in the dystopian future scenes. Let it change to color for the memory scenes and at the end but it really ruins a huge chunk of the story by having the whole thing in color.

I don't know a thing about this Giver movie (I'm assuming its based off of a book from the way people are talking) but it seems neat. I have no idea where they are going with the story but it almost seems like a Matrix type of story. People get injections so they think they are living in Utopia when in reality they are not or something of that nature. Fun concept of course I'm sure I'm completely off base but oh well. 

I don't know a thing about this Giver movie (I'm assuming its based off of a book from the way people are talking) but it seems neat. I have no idea where they are going with the story but it almost seems like a Matrix type of story. People get injections so they think they are living in Utopia when in reality they are not or something of that nature. Fun concept of course I'm sure I'm completely off base but oh well. 

You're not too far off. Somewhere between that and 1984, but for kids!

Yeah - the Giver young adult book is one of those "big" "new" (since it was written in 1993) name titles that a lot of kids have to read in school now.

This release had better be wide.

Don't get your hopes up - IMDB lists in as coming out June 13

Multiple site I just checked don't even list it for that date - only showing How to Train Your Dragon 2 and 22 Jump Street for that day.

Nearly every site I've seen lists June 13th as a "limited" release. Focus Features is doing the distributing so it might make it around to where you are. 

Also you can fart around on this: ruagitated.com

Trailer for the Giver played in front of Divergent last night (duh) and it immediately occurred to me that everyone has read that book. It wasn't even required reading for me in school and I read it after college, but I was just kinda surprised at how every recognized right away that it was the Giver. A ton of buzz after that one aired.

I also like the book a lot, so I'll probably see it opening weekend.