DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

you might as well subtitle Kluwe's post "Nothing held back, and no fucks are given"

Considering the "bigot" in that story was supposedly the only in house candidate for the head coaching role, I sense that this candidate will no longer be considered (even if he is a good coach, can you imagine the PR hit the Vikings would take if they seriously considered him, or even hired him?)

I can't believe Chicago fans are happy about it.  Jrag made some good points but what sticks to me is that he's only had to overcome a bad defense in Chicago this past season.  I just don't think he's a good quarterback and he's a historic underachiever.  They had a chance to cut ties with the guy and move in a different direction but they chose to give a guy who has only had two winning seasons in his nfl career a 7 year contract. 

It's not just overcoming a bad defense this past season, but he's been put into systems designed to fail or he's had other bullshit thrown his way, like having Devin Hester as his #1 WR. For a good long while the offense was Cutler and Forte. He finally has actual weapons on offense to use to win.

Here's the thing... there are maybe 15-20 QBs in the league that are worth a damn. The Bears have the pieces on offense to win now. If you let Cutler leave you are really going to be rolling the dice with a veteran (Matt Flynn, Kelly Holcomb type situation) or in the draft... 

• Like 3

NFL QBs can be broken down into four groups--

The True Elite: Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers

The Young Promising Ones: Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, Cam, RG3 (yes, still), Tannehill, Foles, Manuel (giving him another couple of seasons, then we'll see)

The Tweeners:  Romo, Cutler, Ryan, Palmer, Stafford, Dalton, Flacco, Rivers, Eli, Bathroom Raping Ben

Everyone else is in the 'Replace This Guy Already' category.

If you have a tweener, you have to determine what to do.  Can you build a team around him that gets hot at the right time and wins the SB (Eli, Flacco, Rapistberger)?  Can you downplay any shortcomings he has?  If so, you stick with the guy. Thing is, though--you don't really know.  But ultimately, it's better to stick with the Tweener QB and hope for the best than go for an unknown alternative.

I don't see why Cutler couldn't go on a similar run as Flacco last year. He has a ridiculous arm and two big time receivers that can catch anything thrown their way. Cutler does make mistakes but so does Flacco... nobody could have predicted Flacco being THAT efficient. Of course, you need a defense that can get some stops as well and the Bears haven't been the Bears on D of late.

The Young Promising Ones: Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, Cam, RG3 (yes, still), Tannehill, Foles, Manuel (giving him another couple of seasons, then we'll see)

For no reason other than OCD, it's important to note that Stafford is only about a year older than most of these guys (actually younger than Kaepernick) and has thrown 4500 yards or more for the last three seasons. He's still a promising talent if he works on it. Certainly further ahead than Tannehill, Foles, Manuel and RGIII. Probably closer to Luck and Cam in that respect.

The Bucs found a way around the token Rooney Rule interview. Actually hiring the fucking guy because he's more than likely just as qualified as any other dipshit they're going to interview(Josh McDaniels?).

OH! I knew there was something from earlier

Apparently the Lions are calling around doing background checks on Ken Whisenhunt and right now he is considered the favorite for the Detroit job

Here's the thing... there are maybe 15-20 QBs in the league that are worth a damn. The Bears have the pieces on offense to win now. If you let Cutler leave you are really going to be rolling the dice with a veteran (Matt Flynn, Kelly Holcomb type situation) or in the draft... 

Pretty much it.

Let's ask the Rams post Kurt Warner about replacing a QB, for example.

Not that Cutler is Kurt Warner, but this is just how sports works. Cutler is just in the same spot of a bunch of other athletes that are in the right place to cash in: "You think you have to pay me too much? Too fucking bad because replacing me is a game of dice. Pay me."

Apparently the Lions are calling around doing background checks on Ken Whisenhunt and right now he is considered the favorite for the Detroit job

Blah.  I knew he'd get another head coaching job sooner rather than later.

Hell, the Chargers should hire Chudz to run the offense under McCoy next season.

For no reason other than OCD, it's important to note that Stafford is only about a year older than most of these guys (actually younger than Kaepernick) and has thrown 4500 yards or more for the last three seasons. He's still a promising talent if he works on it. Certainly further ahead than Tannehill, Foles, Manuel and RGIII. Probably closer to Luck and Cam in that respect.

But Stafford has Tony Romo disease, well so does Cutler now that I think about it. But I think you have to resign Cutler and go for it, because if you don't, the next guy will and there is at a fifty percent chance(if not higher) that Cutler makes you look REALLY stupid in his next stop.

But Stafford has Tony Romo disease, well so does Cutler now that I think about it. But I think you have to resign Cutler and go for it, because if you don't, the next guy will and there is at a fifty percent chance(if not higher) that Cutler makes you look REALLY stupid in his next stop.

He had a Head Coach who apparently never took him to task and an OC who was god fucking awful. I think whoever is next will do better with him.

But yes, they've called him a gunslinger now so it's only a matter of time until he turns into Cutler or Romo.

No big surprise there.  Mayhew and Whisenhunt are friends or former teammates or something.  If Whisenhunt can get a team with Kurt Warner & LFitz and nothing else on offense to the Super Bowl, what's he going to do with the smorgasbord that the Lions have?  Hopefully he starts with "OK, Matthew, on 5 yard screen passes with no defenders around you, we expect you to throw overhand and not sidearm into the ground" and goes from there.

Of all the names I've heard for the Lions job, Whisenhunt is far and away my top pick.

• Like 1

So a few reports have leaked out that the Browns are "smitten" with Johnny Fuckin' Football, and got rid of Chud due to disagreements on whether to draft him at #4. If this is true, I must admit I am a little excited. Until I remember I'm from the Midwest, Cleveland in particular, and we seemingly exist just to give east coasters a reason to feel superior. So, sorry about your abject failure of a career/debilitating knee injury in advance, Johnny. Maybe Jacksonville will pass on Bortles and you can take your talents to not quite South Beach before it all goes wrong.

• Like 1

Pretty much it.

Let's ask the Rams post Kurt Warner about replacing a QB, for example.

Not that Cutler is Kurt Warner, but this is just how sports works. Cutler is just in the same spot of a bunch of other athletes that are in the right place to cash in: "You think you have to pay me too much? Too fucking bad because replacing me is a game of dice. Pay me."

But Warner was the drizzling shits from '02-'05; and was still an erratic turnover machine well into his Cards stint where he was stuck as a veteran mentor/placeholder type for bust boy Leinart after having just done the same for Eli. When the Rams shed Warner as their starter he wasn't one of the top 15-20 QB's in the league but Bulger was.

Good for him that he had that great playoff run with the Cardinals (that clinched him the HOF) or his career would've been a real uneven mess to sift through after his first three meteoric seasons with the Rams. But his departure from the Rams was just as much "Kurt's shitty now and we found the new Kurt in the form of Bulger" than a contract issue.