DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

That would be unprecedented. No Lions head coach has ever gotten another head coaching gig in the NFL after leaving Detroit.

well, I could see the Browns ownership falling for the "Jim Schwartz made the lowly Lions relevant" sales pitch

He did a good job o a point. Maybe a decent guy to revive a franchise, then fuck him off when they start performing.

That would be unprecedented. No Lions head coach has ever gotten another head coaching gig in the NFL after leaving Detroit.

well, I could see the Browns ownership falling for the "Jim Schwartz made the lowly Lions relevant" sales pitch

He did a good job o a point. Maybe a decent guy to revive a franchise, then fuck him off when they start performing.

so essentially he's Ned Yost?

so essentially he's Ned Yost?

The Blue Ranger?

Apparently the Bucs are considering Gary Kubiak

I understand that these teams have to hire someone, but at what point do people realize that coaches are like QB's and eventually you'd be better off taking your chances with someone new than all of these friggin' retreads that are proven losers?

When fans start trying to talk themselves into guys like Kubiak, Fatso Reid or Leslie Frazier... then the season is already over before it starts.

I understand that these teams have to hire someone, but at what point do people realize that coaches are like QB's and eventually you'd be better off taking your chances with someone new than all of these friggin' retreads that are proven losers?

When fans start trying to talk themselves into guys like Kubiak, Fatso Reid or Leslie Frazier... then the season is already over before it starts.

But Fatso got the Chiefs from #1 draft pick to playoffs

The fact that Jim Haslett - at least for now - hasn't been fired by the Skins is fucking amazing

That just means that Haslett's the next head coach, of course after the 'token' Rooney interview of Raheem Morris.

Because it was obvious that the Skins bad record had everything to do with Shanny's mishandling of RG3 and nothing to do with a horrible defense that really only could beat Matt Flynn <snicker>.

(And trust me, I'm happy that Shanny's gone.  But bad coaches are becoming par for the course in DC.  When the best current head coach in the area might be Randy Wittman with the Wiz, you know most of the teams are in trouble...)

But Fatso got the Chiefs from #1 draft pick to playoffs

I would hope so, with that cupcake schedule.

They went 9-0 (the most impressive win in that span is probably against the 7-9 Titans) to start.

As soon as they played playoff teams (Denver twice and San Diego) they lost three straight.

Then they beat up on the Redskins and Raiders to get to 11-3.

Then they got taken down by the Colts and Chargers again to finish 11-5.

The only other decent team they beat was the Eagles, but that was during the stretch where they were still trotting out Michael Vick's rotting corpse at QB.

One-and-done.

15 years? Wow, try 55.

It goes to an old argument with me about what is worse.  The person who goes to the dance for years and years and gets rejected by the cute girl or the person who doesn't even go to the dance to begin with.   The Browns were a 90 some yard drive and a bad fumble from going to the Super Bowl a couple times.  The closest the Lions have been to the big dance was a 45-10 like ass whooping by the Skins in 1991 I think

Yes and no. It's taken a few years to get the Notre Dame offense to what works best in Kelly's system, but he took a team this year with Tommy Rees as it's QB and they went 9-4. That's saying something. He at least already has what could be a good defense already in place, but the RB and WR situation needs a lot of work in Detroit. It would be an interesting next step for him though, as he would have won at Grand Valley State University (Grand Rapids, MI), Central Michigan (Mount Pleasant, MI, holler at your boy Fowler), a brief step out of the Michigan area to go to Cinci where he had a winning program, and then to Notre Dame (South Bend, IN, 5 minutes south of the MI border) where he again has a winning program. And apparently Detroit has already reached out to Kelly.

I actually had Kelly on my short-list for Michigan when they ended up hiring RichRod, and was pissed when he wound up at ND.

Really great college coach, but I have no clue if he can translate that to the NFL.

Ooooh, if they do hire him, they need to somehow bring Antonio Brown to Detroit (yeah, I know the Steelers aren't letting him go.)

Bruce Allen basically finally earned the GM title in DC that he always had as he has been giving control of personnel decisions.

Which means that any of the coaches who wanted to do both aren't going to be hired by the Skins (not that really any of them where going to take the job)

The Browns have gotten permission to interview Josh McDaniels - so yeah... someone will be their token interview there and McDaniels will be the head coach

The Redskins are starting their search by interviewing Panthers DC Sean McDermott this weekend