DVDVR Message Board
_MJ_

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

Is this just for shows in English? If not, I'd highly recommend checking out Paquita Salas on Netflix.

Description from it's Wiki:

Paquita Salas is a down-on-her-luck talent agent whose agency, PS Management, is struggling due to her outdated professional style. When her most famous client abandons her, Paquita's world comes crashing down. Alongside her faithful assistant Magüi and office handyman Alex, Paquita is forced to reignite her search for new talent.

I discovered this on Thursday and binged watched it over the weekend. It's only 3 seasons and the first and second seasons are 5 episodes long and the third season is 6 episodes long. It's quickly turned into one of my faves and defo. a show I can see myself revisiting numerous times. It's an Office style mockumentary. Úrsula Corderó from La Casa de Papel/Money Heist makes an appearance in one of the episodes along with a lot of other famous Spanish actors.

Speaking of La Casa de Papel/Money Heist -- that's what's queued up for us next. I usually don't watch much TV shows outside of sitcoms and documentaries, but La Casa de Papel has received a lot of praise worldwide and I saw the trailer for season 3 of it yesterday and decided I'll give it a watch.

Since I haven't mentioned it here in a while, I just wanted to declare again that Wentworth is still the best show on television and all seven seasons are now on Netflix U.S.

Brassic starring (and created by) Joe Gilgun starts today. Yes, they gave the guy who plays Cassidy in Preacher his own show.

Don't you denigrate our Woody by pigeonholing him as Cassidy!

Posted (edited)

He's as likely to get pigeonholed as Rudy from Misfits as Cassidy or Woody. I do love that he actually got Woody's LOL tattoo done for real though.

EDIT: Speaking of This Is England, did the three follow up mini-series actually air in the USA at all? Because if you've only seen the movie, you don't have anything like the full story. There's chapters set in 1986, 88 and 90 to catch up on. And they had to end there or they'd be looking to cast actors to play Paddy Considine and Bob Hoskins.

Edited by AxB

Posted (edited)

Joe Gilgun will never ever not be Woody to me. In the same way that Idris Elba could do a bunch more films and 83 more Luthers but he'd always be Stringer Bell to me.

I watched the first 4 episodes of Brassic though, a lot of the Sky One productions are usually hyped and then end up shite but this one is really quite good. It's a show which isn't quite what you think it is based on the trailers. 

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

My wife and I finished La Casa de Papel/Money Heist on Tuesday and yeah, it lived up to the hype and now we understand why it's the most watched foreign show on Netflix with part 3 receiving over 34 million views across the world in the first week it was released.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:30 PM, AxB said:

He's as likely to get pigeonholed as Rudy from Misfits as Cassidy or Woody. I do love that he actually got Woody's LOL tattoo done for real though.

EDIT: Speaking of This Is England, did the three follow up mini-series actually air in the USA at all? Because if you've only seen the movie, you don't have anything like the full story. There's chapters set in 1986, 88 and 90 to catch up on. And they had to end there or they'd be looking to cast actors to play Paddy Considine and Bob Hoskins.

I don't think they ever aired and I didn't even know they did a series until earlier this summer when This is England 86 popped up on Amazon Prime. The 86 series was the only one on any streaming platform so I had to do a deep dive on YouTube and Daily Motion to find 88 and 90.

I don't remember how I initially got hyped to TiE, but I made it a point to seek out the various follow-ups as they came out.  Lol, Woody and Kelly were such wonderfully, fully written and acted characters that I've followed the Joe, Vicky and Chanel across their various roles without fail.  Thomas Turgoose had the worst luck of having his incredibly awkward phase documented fully on film.

Chanel Creswell hasn't done quite as much as Vicky McClure or Joe Gilgun though. I saw she was in The Aliens (I think that's what it was called, with Michael Socha and Mykaela Cole) but it turned out her part was pretty minor.

I mean, I watched all the series of Trollied because of her and Jason Watkins.  I liked to pretend that Gavin was Herrick from Being Human laying low.