DVDVR Message Board

KING & QUEEN OF THE RING XII - 5/25/2024

This is only the 12th time KOTR is it's own show??   Well, let's just see here, the last time this was on PPV, it was 2015!

Of the 8 people involved... one guy's in Mexico & Japan, two guys are in a federation that didn't exist at the time, one is the current WWE Champion, one is no longer with us 🙁, and the winner is one of the commentator crew.  And of course, R-Truth.   (See if you can - without looking it up - guess the other 7.)

Of note, Her Royal Highness Zelina, of House Black (nee Vega), will attempt to become the first person to repeat as Regent of the Ring in 31 years. Will she do it? 

One thing that will definitely happen, is the end of the reign of His Royal Highness Xavier, of House Woods.  Alas.  The King is dead... long live the king. 

Anyway....  Live from the KSA, it's King AND Queen of the Ring!   

THE CARD~!

FOR THE UNDISPUTED WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - Cody Rhodes (c) vs. Logan Paul

FOR THE WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Becky Lynch (c) vs. Liv Morgan

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Sami Zayn (c) vs. Chad Gable vs. Big Bronson Reed

FINALS OF THE KING OF THE RING TOURNAMENT - GUNTHER vs. Randy Orton

FINALS OF THE QUEEN OF THE RING TOURNAMENT - Lyra Valkyria vs. Nia Jax 

* FOR THE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Bianca Belair & Jade Cargill (c) vs. The Way (Hartwell / LaRae)

--

Times like now are when I hate my little numbering gimmick, because this is actually the 23rd KotR and 2nd QotR.

* - Preshow match

** - The King and Queen of the Ring will receive world title shots on their respective brand's champion at SummerSlam '24.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

Nemeth... um.. Mox and Jericho, Cody, uh... Brodie, and Barrett.

Edited by Raziel

4 hours ago, Raziel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

jon-moxley-vs-pac.jpg

PAC's grumpy you didn't remember him. 😞

On 5/7/2024 at 1:16 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Of note, Her Royal Highness Zelina, of House Black (nee Vega), will attempt to become the first person to repeat as Regent of the Ring in 31 years. Will she do it?

I don't think "Regent" is the word you want. "Regent" isn't a general term that includes kings and queens, it's a person who rules when the actual king or queen can't. Try "Monarch of the Ring".

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't think "Regent" is the word you want. "Regent" isn't a general term that includes kings and queens, it's a person who rules when the actual king or queen can't. Try "Monarch of the Ring".

As someone who didn't have a Queen on his money growing up, I wasn't aware of the difference.  Please accept my facetious apology.  🫅

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was going to make a “which President was a queen?” Joke,  it I figured I’d let someone else do it first. 😀

President Buchanan isn't on any fiduciary note that I'm aware of. 

(Fun fact, the park in DC that has the monument to his Presidency is a pretty notorious cruising spot for gay men.)  🏳️‍🌈

• Like 1

No shit, in my till at work the last two days I've had a gold dollar with James Buchanan on it. They literally ran out of people and things to put on money. What next, a one year run of Warren Harding quarters?

I hate being a history major sometimes, it ruins everything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Triple H has announced the winner of the King of the Ring and the Queen of the Ring get world title matches at SummerSlam. Right call that.

Gunther vs. Orton (which I am assuming will be the final) would be good. I'm picking Gunther to win, so that would be him vs. Priest. Priest's title run has been mostly doa so anything to get the belt off him would be good in my view.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some Sturm and Drang today on social media since a few of the WWE ladies were at a private beach in KSA and posted some swimsuit photos. 

A great story for the outrage poloce since people can complain about the wwe posting cheesecake of their serious women athletes and others can complain about the women in swimsuits in the KSA and if there were normal people, they'd be arrested or beheaded or sawed up and fed to mechanical Sharks, what ha e you. 

Edited by odessasteps

Based on what I read, private beaches and resorts allow women to wear swimsuits, and this wasn't the first time. Not defending Saudi Arabia and Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud. But the WWE deal with Saudi Arabia is long-term, and it's not going away anytime soon.

Vince McMahon literally held a pissing contest with KSA over the safety of his roster. And when all that was blowing up, WWE said the deal was fine and they were expanding to three events a year which they were already doing.

To me it depends on how the locals are treated on this private beach.  if they have the same freedom as them then no big deal to me.  but if they are surrounded by other woman dressed restrictively then yeah. 

on the wrestling part, it is interesting that Dominik is now showing up in the Becky vs Liv match.   is he going to turn on Mami and join Liv.  

I honestly don't remember the last time Cody used a vertebreaker.  Certainly not since he's been in WWE. 

Wonder if Logan specifically asked for that spot or if Cody's test driving a new super finisher.

• Like 1

Show looked good in clips. Surprised Nia won. She felt like one of the women who needed this the least.

57 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I honestly don't remember the last time Cody used a vertebreaker.  Certainly not since he's been in WWE. 

Wonder if Logan specifically asked for that spot or if Cody's test driving a new super finisher.

Never saw Cody use the Vertebreaker in WWE before this match. Was that a thing he started doing on the indies and in NJPW?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Show looked good in clips. Surprised Nia won. She felt like one of the women who needed this the least.

Never saw Cody use the Vertebreaker in WWE before this match. Was that a thing he started doing on the indies and in NJPW?

Yes, and it looked like absolute ass every time.

This one looked a lot better, presumably because Shane Helms is around to show him how it’s supposed to be done.

• Like 2

I liked parts of this show.  I had some people over so we were watching but also talking a bunch.   Cool to see Liv win I've been enjoying her as a heel and Becky was stale.  Also, I've loved all the little Easter eggs leading up to this with Liv and Judgment Day.  

My favorite thing on the show was probably Nia squashing Lyra.  That was a Yokozuna like SPLAT.  Awesome stuff.  She's been on a good run so this was well deserved.  

Gunther was also the right choice.  Decent match there with Orton. 

Cody vs. Logan Paul was good in spots but I didn't think it was anywhere near the Cody vs. AJ Styles match from last month. It was a bit sloppy at times. It also had a wack finish. 

Posted (edited)

So is it possible that Dominik Mysterio will be involved in a second Summerslam custody ladder match.  Only this time being Rhea vs Liv 😄

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So is it possible that Dominik Mysterio will be involved in a second Summerslam custody ladder match.  Only this time being Rhea vs Liv 😄

He’ll take them both. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Happy to see Liv win, even with a fuck finish. Loving the teasing of her and Dom. 

Nia and Lyra was pretty good! I was surprised Nia won though.

No matter my feelings on the Paul brothers (Spoiler: not positive) I have to admit Logan is a good pro wrestler. His frog splash to the outside was great. 

I also liked seeing Indi act more heelish on the preshow.