DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/10 - 4/16/2024 - Julia Hart of (Real) Glass

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

If AEW weren't cowards the heater for FTR/Bucks would be FTR telling the crowd that rich pricks like the Bucks are the reason you got laid off and you're paying $4 a dozen for eggs so we're going to beat them to death with chairs about it.  That shit would kill in West Virginia.  I didn't sit through two years of golly-gee-we're-just-good-ol-boys FTR promos for them to fumble it like this.

I admittedly have not seen (or plan to) see the whole dumb Punk stuff. But The Bucks claiming they lost to FTR at All In because they were busy hobnobbing with King Charles or buying up post-Brexit peasant housing and ran late to the arena is so much better than what they did. Then the FTR “We’re country boys just like you, and these corporate California snobs…” like you suggested is just so much better in every way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This world of Billionaires and Millionaires bickering and throwing shots at each other’s investments is so fucking stupid. Rule the world and fly to space, just give me sweet wrestling and affordable groceries, you fucking separate satanic heads of the same SeaBeast.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I respect your view on this, but if AEW can't move on from this over eight months later, how are they ever going to be able to move on at all? 

Hadn't they until now?  I think there'd been a few veiled references to him but nothing much.  In this case it was a direct response to Punk shitting all over Tony and the company in that Helwani interview.  I respect the opinion that they never should have aired it, I don't think anyone's opinion about any of this is wrong (maybe one guy on page 4).  But I guess I'm coming from the place that that was never an option and this was a fait accompli as soon as Punk opened his mouth

And why is that?  Because we know Tony is thin skinned, and Punk and Ariel together, TALKING SHIT ABOUT him, was bound to set him off.  My hope is that over time he gets thicker skin from all the bruises and bumps he's been taking and learns to be above the fray, but I also think this was a unique situation.  And the footage absolutely counters Punk's narrative that he was deescalating things by putting Jack in a choke.  Sure, deescalating it after you escalated it

This is also kind of Vince McMahon 101 honestly, in the sense that bottom line is he wanted to air it and nobody could talk him out of it.  I'm sure people tried.  IT'S HIS SHOW DAMMIT.  It would have taken WBD stepping in to stop him.  At least they weaved it into the storyline (which might backfire, but I feel like if Okada is back next week and they don't talk about Punk fans will move on).  This wasn't as bad as the time Vince spent an entire night shitting on Stan Kroenke and stuck Lakers and Nuggets jerseys on the wrestlers or any of the thousands of times he used his television to air his petty grievances.  Tony largely hasn't done that AND he seems to listen to constructive criticism, I think there's a good chance he'll take the negative reactions to heart

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I respect your view on this, but if AEW can't move on from this over eight months later, how are they ever going to be able to move on at all? 

Neither side seems to be able to move on and let it go. But AEW/TK had more to lose by not being the bigger party at this point in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s like people forget Vince spent weeks on the Billionaire Ted skits, and that it was USA Networks who told him to knock it off.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

@Matt D You got like three Willow matches I can watch to prep for this?

She had a match with Red Velvet where the crowd totally turned on RV, which actually ended up with her becoming a Baddie. And then she had one of maybe 3 good matches with Jade, to the point the crowd turned on Jade. Excellent match a month or so again with Skye Blue, they’re close friends and work really well together, it was probably Skye’s best singles match.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

It’s like people forget Vince spent weeks on the Billionaire Ted skits, and that it was USA Networks who told him to knock it off.

That reminds me...I brought up how he spent almost 10 whole minutes on WWF Superstars defending himself from a Phil Mushnick hit piece when the trial had been over for almost a year and a half. Yep, I saw a response of, "well...I mean he HAD TO defend himself..."

Yes, he had to break kayfabe and take time away from his own programming to talk about something 95% of his audience didn't give a fuck about.

• Like 4

Willow's recent match with Riho was a real corker, too.

Last night's international feed fun was that Shane Taylor hit the loudest goddamn chop I've ever heard on Hook and Aubrey looked horrified like she'd just seen someone get shot.

• Like 3

I think that maybe the biggest motivator is that the WWE is the hottest it has arguably ever been and coming off a really great WrestleMania. The buzz bin factor of AEW has fallen off, a lot compared to when Punk and Danielson and etc. came aboard and a little bit from other really good stretches they had.

TK wanted to get people talking about AEW again. So they threw this out there to get people talking, but everyone is just dunking on this because it’s so dumb. That’s not the conversation you want, and you absolutely don’t want the CM Punk chants coming for the next few months (and I don’t want those anywhere in my life.) 

The shame of it is that AEW was building up some its reputation again. I told a few people who stopped paying attention to AEW that it’s gotten fun again. None of them stopped watching because Punk left. They stopped watching because there’s only so much wrestling they want to watch and the WWE has taken their attention. But things like Mercedes Mone showing up or me describing Swerve Strickland or that Joe rules or Toni Storm’s awesome character and etc. just gets swallowed up by this stuff.

And it’s all being done to set up the fourth friggin’ feud between The Bucks and FTR. I love FTR and am so into the EVP Bucks, but literally anyone with a passing interest in AEW has seen that already, and putting up a stupid fight that’s loosely, at best, connected to the parties involved.

Or it’s going to reintroduce Jungle Boy, and he maxed out with the Jurassic Express and Christian feud, and a work-shoot Jungle Boy (and his history of awkward promos) is probably DOA.

Like… give us things like Orange Cassidy Becomes The Best Wrestler Alive or The Acclaimed have really funny raps or Swerve’s rise or Will Osperay brings down the house with his awesome Bruv persona and insane moves you’ve never seen before or MJF doing fun stuff. 

It’s just really disappointing to me. I really like so much of what AEW does. When it works, it is so much fun. But this sideshow stuff just swallows everything with it up and it’s so dumb.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, JLowe said:

She had a match with Red Velvet where the crowd totally turned on RV, which actually ended up with her becoming a Baddie. And then she had one of maybe 3 good matches with Jade, to the point the crowd turned on Jade. Excellent match a month or so again with Skye Blue, they’re close friends and work really well together, it was probably Skye’s best singles match.

While it's obvious with hindsight that either Willow or Athena should have been the one to end Jade's streak, it was also incredibly obvious at the time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I admittedly have not seen (or plan to) see the whole dumb Punk stuff. But The Bucks claiming they lost to FTR at All In because they were busy hobnobbing with King Charles or buying up post-Brexit peasant housing and ran late to the arena is so much better than what they did. Then the FTR “We’re country boys just like you, and these corporate California snobs…” like you suggested is just so much better in every way. 

The West Virginia point is so spot on. One of the biggest single throughlines in wrestling history is blue collar people just trying to do right for their families against priidged rich assholes who stack the odds to their advantage even more than they already have. Even still to this day when we all know it’s performance art. That resonates with who we are as wrestling fans — and especially in West Virginia, where the class divide issues are just in the background of your lives at all times. 

Man, just have FTR touch on what you said before until the Bucks do something heinous in throwing their weight around. Or have the Bucks come out and act sanctimonious about having to come to this worthless hillbilly state when they should be having caviar with executives like them and you’re all going to die poor until FTR come and punch them in the face a bunch of times.

Just give me wrestling please. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The West Virginia point is so spot on. One of the biggest single throughlines in wrestling history is blue collar people just trying to do right for their families against priidged rich assholes who stack the odds to their advantage even more than they already have. Even still to this day when we all know it’s performance art. That resonates with who we are as wrestling fans — and especially in West Virginia, where the class divide issues are just in the background of your lives at all times. 

Man, just have FTR touch on what you said before until the Bucks do something heinous in throwing their weight around. Or have the Bucks come out and act sanctimonious about having to come to this worthless hillbilly state when they should be having caviar with executives like them and you’re all going to die poor until FTR come and punch them in the face a bunch of times.

Just give me wrestling please. 

You just know that Dax has been practicing his own Hard Times promo in front of the mirror since he was like 16.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Any argument that nobody knows the Stardom gals and we need like an '80s style clipfest of matches set to "Maniac" from Flashdance to introduce somebody is missing the fact that they're posting on the Internet and that's where you find out about these things nowadays instead.

I was disappointed in Joe's scaredy-eyes at the end there. He should just look mad. Real real mad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Any argument that nobody knows the Stardom gals and we need like an '80s style clipfest of matches set to "Maniac" from Flashdance to introduce somebody is missing the fact that they're posting on the Internet and that's where you find out about these things nowadays instead.

Ok, but hear me out, can we have that as well because it would be awesome?!?!

• Like 5

Much better than a 4.2 show, but Cagematchers are not an easy crowd of complainers to please. Really liked the Swerve/Joe bait and switch angle to begin. A touch too quick to move to the well produced Trent Video. Looking forward to a Trent-Orange series. Copeland v Penta was an excellent contest. I sense even the jellybellyachers are coming around on Cope. Dude's been excellent throughout this elite run. Penta was game here and pulled his part of the deal. Kudos to Abrahantes for being a good friend to his Lucha bro. Very much dug Willow making the big save. And very much into the Mixed tag. The post match promo with Briscoe/Kingston was pretty alright. Cope's having a good time! Lionhook/Shibata promo was good stuff. Very pleased to welcome back the superior (and often enjoyable) Jericho heel act. Finally! Young Bucks/FTR promos/security cam angle was fine. I get the butthurting this caused, but let's at least be clear that the Bucks were, of course, the heels here. The FTR rebuttal was fantastic. I liked the angle and have no ill feelings about attempting to draw some interest with a bit of tabloid television. Even if it didn't quite... hit. FTR/Bucks needed a little heat, and this didn't not get them there. The Will Ospreay promo was excellent as is now fully expected. I like ppl standing up for themselves. These back to the audience promos badly need better framing. Way, way too tight. Hook/Jericho/Shibata v Taylor/Moriarty/Ogogo was going fine til the shitty finish. Great to see Shane embrace the loose shorts again (keep with it big man). I love Taylor's punch, but that was not at all a strong enough attack nor heelish enough to put Shibata's shoulders to the canvas. But a-gain, thrilled to welcome back heel Jericho. Okada squash was a bit disappointing. C'mon feed him Johnny Hungee or somebody worthwhile. Enjoyed the Pac/Bucks/FTR post match angle just fine. Jay White promo was fine too. I forget who he's fighting next tho? Toni/Thunder angle was kinda meh, but that's what I expect from Rosa. Looking forward to Toni moving on to a an opponent I enjoy the work of. May v Jay was pretty alright. Shirakowa run-in would surely have meant more if ppl had a clue who she is. Mercedes promo - I'm starting to respect her decision to be a wooden WWE promo if that's what she likes, and I'm having a laugh for what they say is the wrong reasons, but still - it's funny. Joe v Dustin was a nice contest. Of course Dustin's gonna bleed like a stuck pig. Nice little Swerve run-in to finish out a pretty fun show for anybody not caught up in the Security cam footage not being awesome. I'm still a big fan of thee AEDub.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Seth? That toadie isn't saying anything that may displease The Massssssssssster. And do either of those have guys have connections to Ospreay? 

You want to feel old, start a job where the 17 year-old kids working with more responsibility than you still can't handle alcohol purchased by supermarket customers. 

Re: the chickenhawk thing, Edge was probably thinking of this guy 

Reveal hidden contents

Henery Hawk - Wikipedia

Both those guys took cheap/stupid shots on Twitter at Ospreay and ended up regretting it (the reply to Corbin bragging about being a Raw headliner "NO WONDER RAW SUCKS" is a first ballot entry into the Internet Hall Of Fame).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That reminds me...I brought up how he spent almost 10 whole minutes on WWF Superstars defending himself from a Phil Mushnick hit piece when the trial had been over for almost a year and a half. Yep, I saw a response of, "well...I mean he HAD TO defend himself..."

Yes, he had to break kayfabe and take time away from his own programming to talk about something 95% of his audience didn't give a fuck about.

Remember the Corny "shoot" promo on Mushnick in the wake of Brian Pillman's death (you know, the one that had the balls to accuse Mushnick of exploiting his death when the company did that in as crass a manner possible the night after he died) that was one of the biggest pile of dishonest and deceitful bullshit and lies you will ever see?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1