DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/8 - 4/14/2024 - The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Am I the only one who finds it weird that the memo uses his character's name and not his actual name? 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kross, but your services will no longer be required by TKO."

OI1o.gif

"We wish you the best in your future endeavors."

Especially since they are always incredibly careful to call the boss Paul "Triple H" Levesque in similar releases

I saw the agent list for Mania and they were gimmick names. The ECW homage six man was conveniently produced by Abyss. Imagine if it had been produced by Joseph Park instead. 

• Like 2

for those of you unclear about Polynesian wrestler relations..

Tama Tonga is the son of Meng/Haku

Haku used to team with Tama (Tonga Kid/Samoan Savage/Sam Fatu)

Tama is the twin brother of Fatu/Rikishi

Tama is the father of Jacob Fatu

I only saw part of Tama Tonga's debut, did they refer to him as Tama Tonga or is the door still open for them to use a slightly different name?

• Like 1

Opening Cody promo was fine and thankfully not super long.

Knight vs. Lashley vs. Escobar was solid and fun even with the expected interference.

Loved the Bloodline segment. Solo making his move with Tama's debut was great. The fear Heyman showed as it all went down was just perfection. Will be fun to see where this all leads. Is Solo trying to be the new Tribal Chief? Has the Rock taken over? Does Jacob Fatu join? Or maybe we Umaga/Jamal's son debut? Curious to see if they actually elevate Solo to world title challenger.

Bron/Grimes was a quick serviable squash.

Bayley segment served as a solid lead into Naomi/Tiffany. Was nice to see the two get more time together and pace themselves for something good. This was a good way to put over Naomi a bit more and leave the door open for a rematch for Tiffany with the flash pin. Looking forward to Naomi/Bayley next week. Its match I don't actually recall happening before even though I'm sure it has a few times.

Chelsea/Piper vs. Bianca/Jade was another quick squash to put over Jade. 

Rey vs. KO vs. Styles was good and the superior triple threat from tonight. Loved the double german suplex and finish with the Styles Clash. Both were so perfect.

The matches that go time were good and worth checking out while the Bloodline segment felt like a big step forward to a potential new gen of the group starting. Stuff like that and bits of promos and segments building to future title matches made for a pretty solid show.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Break out that family tree graphic again 

Just add a post it saying "My son gets to be in The Bloodline.   -Haku" 

• Like 5

I wouldn't go that far but Triple H definitely realized the Jey may be a solid single guy, Jimmy is not even close.  Those Jimmy vs Tama Tonga matches are going to be rough

And I don't care if you are the Bloodline, Joe Biden, or the Flintstones, if you can get Haku in your tree you fucking take it

• Like 4

The connection has always been there.  Rock has a story about how he calls Haku "Uncle" and how Haku lent him his gear for Rock's original tryout match.  Years later as a thank you, Rock bought Haku his dream truck.  Tama's Bloodline, but will be loyal to The Rock.

• Like 5

Good promos from mostly everyone on this one, Stratton still stinks

Triple threat matches were a bit of a mess as always but there were some great spots especially the finish to the main

Tama Tonga's debut was dope, him and Sikoa is dope, Solo the Destroyer is dope. Adding Jacob Fatu to this mix will be even better. Jimmy needs a break though, time for a refresh

Now I want to see Breakker in Japan, or more accurately Japan 10 years ago. Naomi/Tiff and the tag match were nice showings too

I read an interview with Kevin Owens and he talked about changing his approach to his career, he's clearly having fun with everything and that walk and talk shot about his Rey's oversized sons was fantastic

Just over a year later , I still don't see why they couldn't have just left Solo undefeated. I know this particular use of him wasn't something they planned on a year ago but once they had him take the fall for Cody the SD before last years Mania, they made him the Pin eater of the Bloodline. Him overthrowing Roman for losing when he loses more than any of the Bloodline members is my only gripe but WWE is good at making us forget he has hardly won any matches in the past year on tv

Kevin Owens acknowledging the camera is something that should have started 25 years ago or so. I love it people like Owens that are great and improvising and doing stuff on the fly are going to do well with talking segments like that like the Miz promo when he first talked about being bullied when he got to the main roster. He was on the mic from the locker room all the way to the ring. That was like '10 or '11.

If he came in a year ago Tama Tonga would probably have a different name or be starting in NXT beforehand 

Edited by Ziggy

The “pretend Tama Tonga is good” era is gonna be a rough one. Imagine being so bad that you’re part of one of the hottest acts IN THE WORLD for *10 years*, and even after all of the actually good members of the group are gone, you still can’t get pushed higher than the 4th tier singles title. And bear in mind that this is happening in a promotion where seniority and hierarchy matter more than any other promotion in the world, where even the most nothing-happening guys will eventually get a big push just because it’s “their turn.” For 10 years, Gedo took a look at Tama and was like, “um, not yet, brother.”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

In my head canon, Solo Sikoa and Tama Tonga attacked Jimmy Uso for THAT shit match vs. Jey Uso at WWE WrestleMania XL.

Tama came from New Japan. He was offended by the lack of match quality.

I know this isn't '98 ,'99 era WWF were you can be a completely terrible worker and still be pushed to the top but he's a much better fit in WWE than anywhere else. There's still a handful of bad workers in WWE even though they are still in a really good era in terms of workrate being high. He's not going to bring it down especially if he has people around him that's still good.  

6 months ago people would have been more happy he's moved on from NJPW than concerned that he'd bring the workrate down. Plus I would assume we'll be having Jacob Fatu in the Bloodline and he's probably a better worker than Jey or Roman in my opinion. They are atleast in competition with each other as the top workers in that family ever. So I don't see Tonga ruining the waters right now.

I honestly was expecting Tama to come in and join up with AJ Styles, especially with the Jacob Fatu coming in talk. I think he's a good fit for the WWE but it'll be interesting to see him work without being able to build (most) everything around the Gunstun.