DVDVR Message Board

Basically DVDVR LiveJournal

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I miss the 90s, except for high school. Going through high school with undiagnosed depression sucked. 

I have depression too. Been taking paxil for nearly 20 years, the pills have somewhat reduced the depression.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dragonzombie said:

I have depression too. Been taking paxil for nearly 20 years, the pills have somewhat reduced the depression.

I take the generic Cymbalta, Duloxetene. I've been on anti-depressants since I was 18. I'm 43 now. Without them, I probably wouldn't be here. 

• Like 5

I take the generic Cymbalta, Duloxetene. I've been on anti-depressants since I was 18. I'm 43 now. Without them, I probably wouldn't be here. 

My meds helped with my OCD and other things. But actual depression is harder to treat. But it's not bad as it used to be for me. 

I greatly reduced drinking Alcohol over the years. I guess Paxil gave me the willpower, via whatever is brain rewiring. Alcohol is a depressant and shouldn't be used if taking anti-depressants meds, and also makes depression worse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dragonzombie said:

My meds helped with my OCD and other things. But actual depression is harder to treat. But it's not bad as it used to be for me. 

I greatly reduced drinking Alcohol over the years. I guess Paxil gave me the willpower, via whatever is brain rewiring. Alcohol is a depressant and shouldn't be used if taking anti-depressants meds, and also makes depression worse.

I also take a generic Xanax for my anxiety. I've also greatly reduced how much I drink almost to the point of not drinking anymore. I just don't enjoy it like I used to. I'm also not doing coke anymore. The only thing that's really been able to stop my coke use is smoking weed. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

I also take a generic Xanax for my anxiety. I've also greatly reduced how much I drink almost to the point of not drinking anymore. I just don't enjoy it like I used to. I'm also not doing coke anymore. The only thing that's really been able to stop my coke use is smoking weed. 

I also been doing cognitive behavioral therapy on myself and positive thought rumination over the years.. I'm better off than my 00's self.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been on various antidepressants for depression. Annoyingly I had to stop taking two which did work, one affected my heart while the other one gave me serotonin syndrome, that particularly sucked. There was a reluctance to take antidepressants with the stiff upper lip mentality, not realising it wouldn't be a magic pill to fix everything and weight gain. The weight gain sucks. Trazodone seems to be the one for me.

Edited by The Natural

Posted (edited)

Went to the doctors today, wasn't sure about going. Turns out I've a chest infection, first in a year. Throat red as well. Fuck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 5

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I miss the 90s, except for high school. Going through high school with undiagnosed depression sucked. 

Sorry to hear that. Hearing this did get me thinking that there must have more than a couple people going through exactly that during my high school years. I totally blanked out on the fact, but I remember now that one kid a couple of years younger than me actually shot himself, so it's obvious that a lot of issues went undiagnosed at the time, and our school wasn't exactly a big one, either.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Went to the doctors today, wasn't sure about going. Turns out I've a chest infection, first in a year. Throat red as well. Fuck.

Feel better, my friend!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Got accused of being a bad father today because my kids are (checks notes) churchgoing conservatives.

Children of the guy who said this are legitimate menaces to the community.  Started out killing pets, graduated to drugs, sex abuse charges, assault, etc. One was forbidden to attend his high school for a year and a half because he kept threatening to bomb and shoot up the place.  It was a credible threat, apparently.  He was planning something.  All three of the guy’s kids are graduates of some sort of scared-straight wilderness academy where large guys come and kidnap you with your parents’ consent and drive you to Montana.

Meanwhile, my kids got scholarships to schools like Georgetown and Notre Dame. Most graduated summa cum laude. I mean, the baby of the family did go to Xavier and graduated magna cum laude, but we try to love her anyway.  My oldest just took a job as a federal prosecutor.  It was probably their mother’s influence, but I apparently did something right.

i just laughed. Wanted to punch the guy, but this is par for the course for him. Culture wars broke his brain a long time ago.  Besides, I haven’t thrown a punch in a few decades.  I did politely tell the guy that he’s entitled to his opinion, just like I’m entitled to think that, in ten years, my kids will have happy families and successful careers and his kids will be squatting under a bridge doing fentanyl.

Edited by madl
  • Like 3

Random-ish YouTube video: Audrey Hepburn on Johnny Carson

Watch as the conversation sorta veers into and out of obvious awkwardness. People found out eventually that Carson was introverted off camera and Audrey is really quiet. Since this was when Carson was 90 minutes, watch them walk for 10+ minutes.

Also, Audrey sounding really Dutch at points (well, that’s one of her native languages)

• Like 1

Back from the doctor. My weight has stayed the same, and I’m still good at taking tests: scored 15/20 on the Anxiety test and 16/20 on the Depression test.

*checks notes*

Oh. Um, I’m not supposed to pass those tests?

But my bloodwork looks pretty normal (for me), so I'll pick up some antidepressants tomorrow and try to eat better.

• Like 2

Alright so I gotta say this here, I don't have anywhere else. I'm fuckin mad. 

My uncle (it's always an uncle, isn't it? If not a father? Or maybe worst of all, a mother?) is a fucking piece of shit. He went to jail for nine years for fraud. We had a private investigator call us out of the blue when they found out he was supposed to move in with us, because he sexually assaulted a 16 year old babysitter in his forties before he went to jail. I have no idea how this man had knowledge that this guy was moving in with us, but according to my parents he told us.

BUT. My mom loves him. His SIX children -- three male, three female, both from different mothers, and both wives have divorced him -- will have nothing to do with him insofar as letting him live with them and support him. He is a beat to shit burning wreck of a human with non-existent hips and no teeth due to the system pulling them out instead of health care in prison. That would make me feel some sympathy (except for the fact that he's a child molester). But now this fuck, who I have told them many times "I do not want to live with this man", is harassing my mother with hang-up phone calls and text messages that I don't know what the contents of are. Her mood is shifting, to where she is talking shit about my therapist, saying said therapist hasn't done anything to help me when I know it's just her venting over her problems which she won't tell me about after I vetoed for the second time the uncle's acceptance into our household, and I have to hear about this from my father instead. So she is taking it out on me, which I told both of them, "this is gonna land on me because I won't let him in here". 

Jesus fucking Christ. 

AND.

I have a Facebook friend who apparently I have seen in person but (and I haven't told her this) don't remember speaking to in person because I was fucking drunk for 20 years of social interaction coming over to look at my record collection and hang out on Thursday. The folks are going out of town on Thursday for a friend's birthday. Please let me just be able to encounter another human being sympathetic (because she's also recently going through a divorce after being beaten by her husband) with my situation. Please, Fate, or whatever. God doesn't exist, so just let something be nice to me, just this once. For. Fuck's. Sake. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/15/2024 at 3:59 AM, Death From Above said:

I learned the hard way if the pills seem to be "doing nothing" it means they are fucking working, because when I went off them whoa boy did I go into the shitter.

Now I just take the damn pills and keep my head down. It was a real "this won't happen to me" kind of lesson.

I'm too afraid of going through anti-depressant withdrawl and the thought of what I could do to myself or someone else to go off my medication. 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2024 at 3:59 AM, Death From Above said:

I learned the hard way if the pills seem to be "doing nothing" it means they are fucking working, because when I went off them whoa boy did I go into the shitter.

Now I just take the damn pills and keep my head down. It was a real "this won't happen to me" kind of lesson.

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm too afraid of going through anti-depressant withdrawl and the thought of what I could do to myself or someone else to go off my medication. 

The only reason I weaned myself off of them in 2018 was because I couldn't afford health insurance any more and couldn't spend 8+ hours away from Mom waiting in line at the free clinics. Now that I'm in the program with the local hospital system since my blood clot episode in October of 2022, I'm trying to get myself back together.

On 5/15/2024 at 8:59 AM, Death From Above said:

Yeah, I learnt that coming off Trazodone.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Antidepressants withdrawal does suck which is why in the past I was reluctant to be put on them. How you feel when getting them into your system as well. Wish you could bottle up how Trazodone does, not had it often since. Serotonin Syndrome was the worst by far. Fuck.

55 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

The only reason I weaned myself off of them in 2018 was because I couldn't afford health insurance any more and couldn't spend 8+ hours away from Mom waiting in line at the free clinics. Now that I'm in the program with the local hospital system since my blood clot episode in October of 2022, I'm trying to get myself back together.

I'd be fucked without the NHS especially for the CP. My late great Mum would be as well if we didn't have the NHS. Despair for my American friends here. Love to you and your Mum, hun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

The state of this country's healthcare system, man.  Fuck.

• Like 3

In comparison to the usual horror of my personal life that I post in this thread, I have been hit up on Facebook by a woman who is not only a metalhead but worked as a wrestler (!!!) for the indie promotion CLAW, which I am totally unfamiliar with. Apparently I've met her before but due to my issues I don't recall her at all. I get the feeling this might be a good friendship, and god knows I need some support. Friendship, relationship, it doesn't matter. She seems wonderful. Wish me luck.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

In comparison to the usual horror of my personal life that I post in this thread, I have been hit up on Facebook by a woman who is not only a metalhead but worked as a wrestler (!!!) for the indie promotion CLAW, which I am totally unfamiliar with. Apparently I've met her before but due to my issues I don't recall her at all. I get the feeling this might be a good friendship, and god knows I need some support. Friendship, relationship, it doesn't matter. She seems wonderful. Wish me luck.

Good luck in your budding relationship/friendship. I have a date coming up Friday. I'm so nervous and excited. I haven't been on a date in years. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Was that book "Dream Team" by Jack McCallum? I just grabbed that at Goodwill the other day. 

It was. It's fantastic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good luck in your budding relationship/friendship. I have a date coming up Friday. I'm so nervous and excited. I haven't been on a date in years. 

Good luck, lads. I haven't been on a date in years. Gets me right down.

• Like 1