DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APRIL 2024

I was listening to a podcast by Pablo Torres about the only surviving copy of Super Bowl 1. It’s wild the stuff that’s been lost just cause no one had the foresight to archive it (like that one Hitchcock film) 

• Like 1

It's crazy to me that they're still pulling film elements out of storage and in estate sales from dead people's collections of the most obscure films to this day. TV has to be even harder to come by. 

• Like 1

My wife and I have been trying to find old episodes of 120 Minutes on YT, there are a few but most have had to trim videos out because of copyright claims.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's crazy to me that they're still pulling film elements out of storage and in estate sales from dead people's collections of the most obscure films to this day. TV has to be even harder to come by. 

Beau mentioned on our pod it’s very possible that Ole had unknown footage in his collection when he died. 

Just random shit: rewatching the September 2020 Parking Lot Brawl between Best Friends and PnP.  The following wrestlers were extras watching the match:

• Puf
  • Kevin Blackwood
  • Daniel Garcia LOOOONG before his debut obviously
  • Megabite Ronnie
  • Lee Johnson

I had to remind myself of the extras rule of thumb that Alvarez talked about: if the extras ("arena security," ringside shemps that get beat up or landed on, etc) are big and/or have a fucked up haircut, they're most likely an indy worker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

My wife and I have been trying to find old episodes of 120 Minutes on YT, there are a few but most have had to trim videos out because of copyright claims.

I've got a link to a good archive of 120 Minutes episodes.  As soon as I find it I can shoot you a DM.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just random shit: rewatching the September 2020 Parking Lot Brawl between Best Friends and PnP.  The following wrestlers were extras watching the match:

• Megabite Ronnie

Google suggests it's actually "Megabyte", which is disappointing, as "Megabite" is clearly the better wrestling name.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Google suggests it's actually "Megabyte", which is disappointing, as "Megabite" is clearly the better wrestling name.

That's kinda dumb; didn't he work a competitive eater gimmick?  In that case, isn't "Bite" the better choice?  It's also a play on words.  It's not like he was working a PC repair gimmick.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

It is Megabyte. One of my Discord friends, his favourite AEW match of all time is Megabyte Ronnie vs Brian Cage. He reposts it almost every week.

This one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Get after it, Tony.

How is TAKA these days? Used to be one of my faves back in those days...

In a similar vein, Masato Tanaka is still going strong and has visited the US a few times lately, would LOVE to see him pop up for a few AEW marches...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Done that with Beavis and Butthead and you run into the same retractions. 

Same with The State. All the licensed music used had to be dubbed over with sound a like songs, which is way it took so long for it to be released on dvd, which eventually came out in 2012. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Still, speaking of missing copyrighted music, is there anything worse than watching ECW from WWE sources? 

I imagine Gabe era ROH with dubbed over music would be pretty rough, too. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I imagine Gabe era ROH with dubbed over music would be pretty rough, too. 

I don't really recall ROH having particularly good music. And no New Jack style music over top of the bout. Or promo montage music. Am I misremembering somebody having music that was important to the show? I guess Punk's theme was impactful, but not a song I'd miss hearing. 

Er wait, yeah, I'd miss the Copacabana. I wish TK would buy that one and give Colt a proper push already.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I don't really recall ROH having particularly good music. And no New Jack style music over top of the bout. Or promo montage music. Am I misremembering somebody having music that was important to the show? I guess Punk's theme was impactful, but not a song I'd miss hearing. 

Er wait, yeah, I'd miss the Copacabana. I wish TK would buy that one and give Colt a proper push already.

I was always a fan of the licensed entrances, particularly El Generico's theme "Ole" by the Bouncing Souls.

Of course, there was "The Final Countdown" for Danielson. 

Samoa Joe's theme was a good one, as was Claudio's, Alex Shelley, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Kevin Steen, Chris Hero with Larry Sweeney's intro. That's just off the top of my head. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

I was partial to Homicide coming out to Beanie Sigel

But yeah, if you want to stay up on Youtube, best to clip out/mute the music.

• Like 2

I just looked up Larry Sweeney's entrance music and see that he rolled out to 'Rock n Roll Part 2' and Andrea True Connection 'More More More'. I'm on board with those two! The list I have also says Danielson rolled out to 'Obsession' by Animotion! Awesome, so much better than the goddamn Final Countdown. 

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I just looked up Larry Sweeney's entrance music and see that he rolled out to 'Rock n Roll Part 2' and Andrea True Connection 'More More More'. I'm on board with those two! The list I have also says Danielson rolled out to 'Obsession' by Animotion! Awesome, so much better than the goddamn Final Countdown. 

At one point, IIRC, Sweeney also use Modest Mouse, but that might have only been in Chikara. 

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was partial to Homicide coming out to Beanie Sigel

But yeah, if you want to stay up on Youtube, best to clip out/mute the music.

Yes, how could I forget Homicide's with the Kill Bill intro?

Oh, and add "Gimme Back My Bullets" for The Briscoes to the list. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coletti said:

How is TAKA these days? Used to be one of my faves back in those days...

In a similar vein, Masato Tanaka is still going strong and has visited the US a few times lately, would LOVE to see him pop up for a few AEW marches...

I saw Tanaka on the October 2023 West Coast Pro show vs Vinnie Massaro.  After the first unprotected chairshot to the head, I skipped to the next match.  If that's all you can do anymore (this goes for both guys), fuck off down the road.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Same with The State. All the licensed music used had to be dubbed over with sound a like songs, which is way it took so long for it to be released on dvd, which eventually came out in 2012. 

I loved The State.  Nobody understands the reference when I tell them that penguins ain't natural because they're not in The Bible.  Also when I long for $240 worth of pudding.

The Ben Stiller Show was also great, speaking of early 90s sketch comedy.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4