DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/20 - 3/26/2024 - Do You Wanna Ride In My Mercedes Boy?

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Every time I see Jericho's weave/plugs/ otherwise fake hair get all sweaty and sticking out in all directions, I can't help but think of Bill Murray in Kingpin.

Ever since I saw 'Kingpin', EVERY time part of my hair sticks up anywhere, I immediately assume I look like Ernie McCracken and start frantically trying to fix it. It doesn't matter that every time I look in the mirror and it's not like that (Though im getting old so it probably IS coming!), every time my hair blows in the breeze or gets all static-y, it's

https://tenor.com/YWto.gif

41 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Judas vibes from the crowd singing Metalingus!  Meltzer mentioned awhile back how the plans to move Jericho in to a tag team role kept getting derailed, first with the Golden Jets going for the titles but Kenny got hurt, then Jericho & Sammy were going to be in the tournament but Sammy got suspended and so Jericho got moved on to Hook. 

Brandon Thurston of Wrestlenomics also mentioned this,
"Rampage following Dynamite tonight can be seen as a test of whether Dynamite could be a 3-hour program. If a scheduler coldly had to choose between Rampage, Fri at 10p or a 3rd hour of Dynamite, Wed at 10p, the answer seems obvious. Tonight's rating will quantify it."

I didn't know Sammy got suspended again...what was it for this time?

• Haha 3

I feel like WWE realized quickly that while Sasha Banks had great presence and could cut a solid brief promo she did not have big show opening monologue talents (TBF most don't). For whatever reason AEW seems to have unlearned this and like... I know there are some people who have a real hate on for Mone, I think she's one of the best american women wrestlers out there atm but I don't think you can book her to just talking like this for another month before letting her wrestle.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You should be happy you don't have about six cowlicks in the same spot on your head like I do. Try getting THAT to ever look right. 

My brother has a double-crown, he is so happy that his new baby does not!

I really don't like the idea of a 3 hour Dynamite being a regular thing from a personal viewing perspective, but it's probably good for business. AEW does at least have the roster to pull it off without too many people being in multiple segments. The best thing about this block was the women had multiple segments for 3 different angles and didn't feel like anyone got shorted. Wednesday is by far AEW's best night, so if they can get some of their programming out of those Fri/Sat death spots, that's a win for them.

Hook taking Jericho to suplex city sure was something. That was a really good put-over by Jericho, so hopefully he won't ruin it by overstaying his welcome and dragging out this angle. Maybe just have him ask Hook to help him get revenge on the Callis Family and call it a day.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, caley said:

Ever since I saw 'Kingpin', EVERY time part of my hair sticks up anywhere, I immediately assume I look like Ernie McCracken and start frantically trying to fix it. It doesn't matter that every time I look in the mirror and it's not like that (Though im getting old so it probably IS coming!), every time my hair blows in the breeze or gets all static-y, it's

I didn't know Sammy got suspended again...what was it for this time?

Not following concussion protocol when he injured Jeff Hardy and still picking him up to hit his finish instead of ending it there.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

"Tony Khan said that whoever holds the Continental Championship after November's annual Full Gear pay-per-view will get an automatic spot in the Classic. However, the titleholder will have to win the tournament final at December's Worlds End PPV in order to keep their championship."

F4wonline.com.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Jamal said:

Speaking of which, they definitely have to do Mercedes/Saraya eventually since Mercedes did actually end her career lol 

@Niners Fan in CT will be here any second to tell you why it’s ok that that happened because it’s Mercedes…

15 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I thought it was a bit too convenient that somebody had a Bruins jersey right near somebody with a Leafs jersey (well, the Leafs one is completely logical but I digress)  But whether they were plants or not I laughed at that and enjoyed the hockey elements.

But aside from that I was oddly bored by the I Quit match and I'm not sure if it isn't just a "me" problem.  Did I expect lots of blood?  Did I expect Christian to make Adam's situation much more dire?  Or maybe I was just looking for more overall hatred in the match and things felt a bit too scripted for my liking.  Maybe all of the above (though the first possible reason might have depended on WBD's stance on blood nowadays)  But something just felt off since the build was pretty damn solid.

I'm with you. Going to rewatch it and see what a second viewing does. Will say Edge vs. Christian singles matches were not and miss, some delivered while others didn't. Much prefer them as a team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm praying NO to 3 hour Dynamites, but excess is kind of the name of the Khan game. Seems obvious the Rampage rating goes up from usual, but the potentially negative effect on Dynamite going to 3 is something I hope they seriously weigh. Tho, UGH, suddenly feels ineviable.

I'm partially against this because I watch Dynamite before work on Thursday mornings, and 3 hours will throw a wrench into the works. It's also kinda passed my single sitting threshold.

Same.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You should be happy you don't have about six cowlicks in the same spot on your head like I do. Try getting THAT to ever look right. 

10 hours ago, caley said:

9 hours ago, caley said:

My brother has a double-crown, he is so happy that his new baby does not!

Every time I start to feel bad about my hair thinning and getting patchy in front a few years back, leading me to just shave it weekly with a 1 guard, I'll revisit this thread.  Thanks, dudes! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Every time I start to feel bad about my hair thinning and getting patchy in front a few years back, leading me to just shave it weekly with a 1 guard, I'll revisit this thread.  Thanks, dudes! 

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat and I just turned 39, mate. If I bent down, you'd see Friar Tuck.

• Like 2

Meltzer:

Bryan Danielson vs. Katsuyori Shibata, ****1/2.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Eddie Kingston, ***3/4.

Adam Copeland vs. Christian Cage, ****1/4.

Natural:

Bryan Danielson vs. Katsuyori Shibata, ****3/4.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Eddie Kingston, ****1/4.

Adam Copeland vs. Christian Cage, ****.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Meltzer:

Natural:

So many snowflakes...

ejemplo-tony-montana.gif

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Natural:

After every 3rd or 4th Bryan Danielson match, The Natural has to replace the asterisk key on his keyboard due to wear.  😉

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Meltzer:

Natural:

Did Dave not give star ratings for Rampage? Curious what he gave the two tag matches. 

42 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Did Dave not give star ratings for Rampage? Curious what he gave the two tag matches. 

6e0c858f-e66f-4223-8272-725860bc6f58_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat and I just turned 39, mate. If I bent down, you'd see Friar Tuck.

I should consider myself lucky that at 43, I've still got a full head of hair. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So many snowflakes...

ejemplo-tony-montana.gif

I'm too generous a marker.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

After every 3rd or 4th Bryan Danielson match, The Natural has to replace the asterisk key on his keyboard due to wear.  😉

I'm like Randy Marsh at the computer 😉.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 2

I liked the I Quit match a lot, the hockey fight bit was a little corny but also really funny and awesome and the crowd loved it. There were obvious callbacks to their past. I also think that the longer term storyline will be that Cope just couldn’t bring himself to totally maim his friend.

Having this and the Street Fight on the same card could have been tough but the women delivered some great moments. Willow once again shows that she takes a Code Blue better than anyone, this time on an announcers table that does not give an inch. Ouch! Skye blades without going full crimson mask. We get tacks and some nasty but not gnarly bumps. Loved how you could totally see Skye’s pride at receiving the “You Sick Fuck” chants.

Kingston-Okada was great but also sad in the end result, but effective in the longer run.

I thought Hook-Jericho was excessive and was worried about Jericho’s neck on several of those bumps.

Surprised a little at Best Friends going over. I thought they might actually give OC some time off.

Takeshita-Rocky was fun until the end. Shibata in a squash was weird in the sense that I’m used to the Japanese legend AEW guys only having big matchups.

The opening felt very WWE to me, the promo seemed heavily scripted towards catchphrases, and the song is going to wear thin quickly.

The Tonis vs. VirtuRosa was solid but never quite excellent. Rosa was best bumping and selling, her offense wasn’t as crisp as the rest of them. I also was proven wrong in my discussion of AEW seeing Toni as a face, as this match tried very hard to make them the heels. The fans ain’t buying it, and we did get seeds of a full Deonna turn at the end.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I also think that the longer term storyline will be that Cope just couldn’t bring himself to totally maim his friend.

This just triggered a memory of Bret talking sense to battling brother-in-laws Davey and Owen. And the Two Time Slammy Award Winner bursting into tears. One of the greatest moments in the history of Wrestling. Not that they'll try and emulate their heroes, but it's got me wondering who could be the one to bring these two old friends back together.

• Like 3