DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/13 - 3/19/2024 - Takin' Care of Business

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

One I've wanted to see but...

22 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Here come the uncomfortable head butts.  Still hyped as fuck.  

This.

Man, Bryan Danielson is really ticking a list of wrestlers this year as he winds down:

• Kazuchika Okada.
  • Yuji Nagata.
  • Hechicero.
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Jun Akiyama.
  • Eddie Kingston.
  • Katsuyori Shibata.
  • Will Ospreay.
  • Like 2

AEW hasn't been around for long enough for me to forget, and then be surprised by reading about and reminding myself, that DDP wrestled a match there. 

Additionally, it's probably his defacto retirement match. Wild. 

Edit: wrong thread but the damage is done. 

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 3

I loved almost everything about Dynamite, except I was mostly tuned out for the trios match despite having Eddie and Okada. I even didn’t mind the tag match because Gates of Agony came out looking like bosses and got a lot of stuff in. Also, I just don’t find Riho believable and really rolled my eyes at her suplexes of Willow.

Mercedes came off like a superstar, even if it went on a little long. I generally hate the “sing-along” style that the WWE has brought to the forefront, but the CEO chants made the crowd super hot and if that keeps up, then I’m fine with it. There are times where AEW crowds are a little too dead because they don’t know what to chant besides “this is awesome” or the dueling “let’s go chants”.

Ospreay crushed another promo. I’m glad they can keep him busy for a while before he inevitably gets into the title hunt.

Wardlow-Joe was pretty good, for a hot minute I thought they were going to do a surprise title change, but instead Wardlow passes out clean and we get more Swerve-Joe build.

• Like 1

I would love it if on one show, the crowd chanted "LET'S GO CHANTS". It would be like that time the post-Mania RAW crowd chanted We Are Awesome.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think @Technico Support said it, and he’s right; I’ve said for years that there’s nothing about Mercedes that comes off as real. From nXt to main roster and now early on in AEW, she’s playing a role. And not particularly convincingly.

Another thing I’ve said for a couple years now; the young bucks repel viewers. Down 350k from the opener? Holy hell. The people stayed away in droves.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

There are times where AEW crowds are a little too dead because they don’t know what to chant besides “this is awesome” or the dueling “let’s go chants”.

Very true. I saw a great example of this during the lengthy Forbidden Door show last year. Burnt out voices forgetting too much about their hands. The Japanese crowds use of their hands, and voices for necessary jeers and specific names is where everywhere else around the world oughtta get to. They also know there's no crime in letting a match play out for a little while in silence. With AEW we gotta consider longevity - these are long arse shows.

There were plenty of chants at Wembley that never got picked up on the broadcast.

"Cash has got a gun
Got a gun
Oh Cash has got a gun
Oh na na nana nana na na"

And so on.

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Years from now, remember this, when the newly All Elite Izzy takes her revenge like Nakia from Kill Bill Vol 1 will take on the Black Mamba some day.  Her being the one to send Mercedes back to WWE or possibly even into retirement... that's what pro wrestling is all about.

i just looked her up. i remember hearing about the Bayley superfan, but have never watched NXT so didn't view it firsthand. Izzy Moreno is now 16 and made her debut a few months back at Mission Pro Wrestling (run by Thunder Rosa). so that's.... pretty awesome actually.

OTOH, former Raw Tag Team Champion Nicholas Cone is also 16. based on a recent picture online, i would not assume he is pursuing an in-ring career. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coletti said:

Pac moves like a cyborg who somehow learned how to be spiteful towards human life. I love it. 

Hopefully Pac can stay healthy for a bit. Talk about stop start in AEW.

• Like 1

Rampage was tiny tonight. BF/DO had what I imagine would be their house show match; some nice silent movie humor with Remsburg. Toni and Mariah came out to face a jobber team who lets call Rainbow Star and Lisa Frank. Lisa looked like she was all of 12 years old. If this were CMLL there would be an enormous zoom in on Toni's butt when she sat on the rope, I mean, it was right there! C'mon. As a weapon that sucker definitely works. Lard Lad got his music back, thank god. They had to know they couldn't give him the Callis Heat dog-whistle drone after that match with Bruv. Him and Komander did some fun stuff. Takeshita kinda looked lost for a minute though while the crowd were amping up, like he was thinking of what to do in the corner, it sucked. Probably hard for two guys to try and work out a match in what is both their second language. I ignored the rest. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, Deonna also came out (wearing Tommy Dreamer pants pulled up over her navel) to announce Rosa is her partner. Pretty good pairing, considering they're both heels who only think that they're faces. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

It looks setup for an obvious Bucks/FTR final, so I'm assuming something different happens, but yeah either way pretty underwhelming overall.

My favorite part of Rampage was the little video package on Queen Aminata, putting a tiny bit of hype on her upcoming ROH match with Red Velvet next week. Great minor touch.

• Like 1