DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/28 - 3/5/2024 - Stingchronicity II

On 3/1/2024 at 12:48 AM, odessasteps said:

Short answer: check the lucha folder for recommendations and YT links for folks like Hechicero. 

I watched the whole Fantastica Mania NJPW tour this year and was super impressed with the CMLL guys. They were also really good without killing themselves until they got to Korakuen Hall and Sobarnito Jr tried to kill Templeario off the hardest part of the ring.

• Like 4

I watched this lower end Rampage like it was a higher end current ROH on Honor Club show. I enjoyed Claudio v Rugido. Tho, it did feel like Dusty Wolfe getting far too much offense on Bad News Allen. It was a bit clumsy, but I love Claudio hugging Ruggy and then lower the boom. I also liked Claudio somersaulting onto the stage to pose. Joe/Swerve/Hanger video was good, the longer form Countdown show video was truly fucking awesome. More for the emotional Stinger/Darby packages. Good solid Archer/Dutch/Vincent squash. Dying for a Dutch/Archer tag run all the way to the top. I really wish they hadn't drained Dutch's credibility with that handicap loss to MJef. Maybe the rubes don't remember? Deonna/Toni video was good. Very much looking forward to this bout, and these two pros redeeming any sidesteps caused by the Madison Rayne match. Excellent Riho v Adora bout. Far and away the best Trish Adora match I've seen. I'd love to see her lean more in on a bully heel role. Riho is such a smart worker. She could seemingly pull a good match out of anyone. Ruby/Ange/Saraya/Harley/Zak Knight segment was the usual slight awkwardness into a nice heel attack. Ruby's acting portion didn't serve it so well, but the heels aren't joking around anymore. Knight was kinda impressive on ROH, so curious to see how he'll fit in. Magnus v Sydal was good. Selfless Sydal is on a nice run. I don't pay much mind toward the WO awards, but they really oughtta add a 'Best Mechanic' category for anybody with a very poor winning percentage. Sydal would be a great candidate. I caught the Countdown show on Youtube, and it nicely bookended the Saturday Morning Wrestling experience. Great, great videos on the 3 way and Sting/Darby v Bucks. Rampage-Baby!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I tried watching Rampage live last night while drunk and couldn’t hold my interest.

Claudio-Rugido went 15 minutes. Why? At least towards the end he got to look dominant, but this should’ve been maybe 10. I did like Claudio paying tribute to lucha tradition and doing a Gotch-style flapjack instead of a piledriver. Also the foul after the match.

I FFWD through the trios. Can’t stand Archer, can’t stand Vincent.

I was not particularly excited to see Riho back but was very pleasantly surprised by the match with Trish Adora. The size difference was really played up, and Riho was straight up ragdolled at times and struggled to get the win. They should let The Virtuosa do the same to Riho but also go over.

Matt Sydal in the main event was unexpected. This was almost a reverse from the opener, in that Magnus was more of a base for Sydal’s high flying. Ok match, and I guess they needed to throw CMLL a bone.

Poor Ange and Ruby.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I FFWD through the trios. Can’t stand Archer, can’t stand Vincent.

Haha, I totally get that. The booking of Lance Archer in AEW, if anyone cared, would have to be considered amongst the worst. Squash x 10, big loss, hiatus, rinse, repeat. Along with that all time rotten entrance music! Even tops Cody's shitty music. And yeah, Vincent is easily one of the most expendable commodities on the roster. But... Archer is clearly very talented and Dutch is so underrated. I like how those two behemoths have worked together thus far. I may be alone, but I really wanna see this team get a proper push. All the way to the top, Jack!

• Like 1

Yeah, Claudio vs a guy in a Monchichi mask going 15 minutes was too fucking long.  Someone who knows more about Lucha than I do, please dispel my belief that we’re now getting the CMLL B team because of the latest visa problem.

As an avid Bossman Slam enthusiast, I was legit worried Dutch would tag out before hitting his glorious slam.  But my worries were unfounded!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not everyone in CMLL was effected by the visa issue. It also only applies to the US. So, in theory, you could use guys on Canadian shows if necessary. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, Claudio vs a guy in a Monchichi mask going 15 minutes was too fucking long.  Someone who knows more about Lucha than I do, please dispel my belief that we’re now getting the CMLL B team because of the latest visa problem.

As an avid Bossman Slam enthusiast, I was legit worried Dutch would tag out before hitting his glorious slam.  But my worries were unfounded!

I legit LOL’d at the Monchichi reference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

I legit LOL’d at the Monchichi reference. 

Same, but no one will ever top Alushe for Monchichi-ness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had a pretty terrible day at work which spells out a terrible week+ to come. As a result I missed the first hour. Turning on my TV just in time to see the Curry Man dance brought a much needed smile to my face. I'll get to the rest ten days from now when I get a day off. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm chilling at a bar trying to not tear up reading about these. Classy is a huge understatement and I'm very glad to know Martha gave her blessing. AxB posted this on Discord and I can't wait to check it out. https://projects.theplayerstribune.com/sting-aew-wrestling-retirement/p/1

• Like 2

This was two Rampages stitched together basically, only no squashing. The opening brawl was cool and opened up the possibility of a FIRE DEATH MATCH with Chicken gettin his draws lit up. At least, in dreams... The rest of the show was a women's singles, Wardlow and Jericho bitching at each other, a bunch of multimans and Deonna didn't even have the wherewithal to throw a shoe when she had two sitting there right in front of her. But this show wasn't meant for me, the one tomorrow is. 

EDIT: Shit, I forgot there were actually TWO women's matches, plus the Serena promo and the Toni/Deonna thing. So actually this had a fair amount of the ladies on it, which needs to be a regular thing that isn't used as filler in a go-home show. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Loved May’s spinning side slam. She sure makes the most of the space between moves. Got a kick out of Gunn outsmarting Uno with the foot toss neck breaker counter. Curry Man taunt is self explanatory. Sydal might quietly be a top ten guy in the company. Great Garcia performance. Really nice to see him interact with other people, be it working Strong or Cage or fist bumping Hook after clearing the ring.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I had a feeling this was something that happened, and am glad it's been confirmed. Very classy move.

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm chilling at a bar trying to not tear up reading about these. Classy is a huge understatement and I'm very glad to know Martha gave her blessing. AxB posted this on Discord and I can't wait to check it out. https://projects.theplayerstribune.com/sting-aew-wrestling-retirement/p/1

Class by Tony Khan and Sting. Here's the entrance:

https://twitter.com/AEWonTV/status/1763038288737153175

This is only second time Sting has done the descend from the rafters since Owen Hart's death. The first was vs. Christopher Daniels at TNA Slammiversary 2007.

• Like 1

That was a very go-home to PPV show. Way more about the angles than the wrestling, which is to be expected. I will say that Brian Cage is an excellent base.

How did WWE not break the bank to get Mariah May? Poor Angelina Risk, she got the shit beaten out of her.

Wiilow is so angry that she actually swore!

Really excited for the PPV tonight.

• Like 2

FYI, join us for the PPV on the Discord tonight -- not sure if I should say why, but lets just say we will be watching. Watching. (That pretty much is saying it, isn't it?)

Edited by Curt McGirt

Rampage was probably the dullest one ever, but Collision was a solid go-home show. Loved Mark Briscoe getting some shine against HOB and the chaotic brawl after the 8-man. I feel like they could've thrown some more people in to the Scramble segment instead of letting Jericho and Wardlow take all the time.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

FYI, join us for the PPV on the Discord tonight -- not sure if I should say why, but lets just say we will be watching. Watching. (That pretty much is saying it, isn't it?)

What is the Discord?

Just now, Go2Sleep said:

Rampage was probably the dullest one ever, but Collision was a solid go-home show. Loved Mark Briscoe getting some shine against HOB and the chaotic brawl after the 8-man. I feel like they could've thrown some more people in to the Scramble segment instead of letting Jericho and Wardlow take all the time.

I forgot about the mayhem with Mark Briscoe and threatening to burn Buddy alive!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JLowe said:

How did WWE not break the bank to get Mariah May? Poor Angelina Risk, she got the shit beaten out of her.

WWE was sending all of their British signings to NXT:UK, right up until Mariah went to Stardom. The "Assistant General Manager" of NXT:UK was Sid Scala, who basically everyone in the brand was a loyal friend to. Mariah May made a Speaking Out statement about Sid Scala harassing her when she was a trainee and he sued her.

• Sad 1