DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

It makes me happy that y'all aren't shamelessly fellating this steaming pile of prison ass like they are other corners of the internet. I love you all. Fuck this company, and fuck the people running it who covered up human trafficking. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Just Dave said:

It makes me happy that y'all aren't shamelessly fellating this steaming pile of prison ass like they are other corners of the internet. I love you all. Fuck this company, and fuck the people running it who covered up human trafficking. 

Best message board on the 'net.

• Like 4

I was in Philly today and it was crawling with WWE tourists. Dudes walking around Chinatown with replica belts and shit.

Non-Philly fans probably don't get just how big Jason Kelce is in Philadelphia. Like if I had to make a Mt. Rushmore of the most beloved figures in modern Philadelphia sports history, it would probably be Kelce, Brian Dawkins, Allen Iverson, and Harry Kalas...

gonna try estimating the matchtimes for Night 2

• Rollins/McIntyre: 25 minutes
  • Six Man Philly Street Fight: 10 minutes
  • Knight/Styles: 15 minutes
  • Paul/Orton/Owens: 20 minutes
  • Iyo/Bayley: 15 minutes
  • Roman/Cody: 35 minutes

Compared to tonight which was Rhea/Becky 17, Six Pack Ladder 17, Rey/Dom tag 11, Usos 11, Jade Cargill showcase 8, Gunther/Sami 15, and Main Event 44. Which adds up to around 123 minutes (my estimates add up to just 120 minutes)

Then again I watch way more AEW than WWE, so I might be overestimating how long matches need to go.

• Like 2

Just now, The Comedian said:

I was in Philly today and it was crawling with WWE tourists. Dudes walking around Chinatown with replica belts and shit.

Non-Philly fans probably don't get just how big Jason Kelce is in Philadelphia. Like if I had to make a Mt. Rushmore of the most beloved figures in modern Philadelphia sports history, it would probably be Kelce, Brian Dawkins, Allen Iverson, and Harry Kalas...

Where art thou Rocky Balboa?

;).

2 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I think everyone just scared away the people that wanted to be positive haha sometimes its hard to be the one going against the grain.

I liked the show more than some here but the biggest issue to me was only... two matches felt like WrestleMania matches. Sami/GUNTER and the main event. Not to say the main event was good but it felt special since The Rock was in it. Becky/Rhea was fun, ladder match had some good spots. But the women's tag and lucha match just felt like Smackdown matches, nothing wrong with either but instantly forgettable. The Usos match was just bad, it came six months too late and no one cares anymore. I felt bad for Jey as he had to know it was a turd, whoever produced that match should be sat down and talked to by someone. Main event was 20 minutes too long, liked the end stretch but too plodding to get there. Sami/Gunter clearly the match of the night.

Top to bottom it was *fine*, I don't regret watching it but I hope Night 2 is better. The potential is there, just has to deliver.

• Like 4

When people say "Jade looked awesome" I will agree that she has a superstar presence but in-ring she looked lost at times and there really wasn't much required for her to do.  I never bought into blaming AEW on where she's at with her wrestling.  She had some decent matches with Red Velvet.  She can have good matches but she's definitely still green so I'm not sure what's next for her.  Maybe a tag team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When people say "Jade looked awesome" I will agree that she has a superstar presence but in-ring she looked lost at times and there really wasn't much required for her to do.  I never bought into blaming AEW on where she's at with her wrestling.  She had some decent matches with Red Velvet.  She can have good matches but she's definitely still green so I'm not sure what's next for her.  Maybe a tag team. 

I agree with what you've said about her ability, but you don't hire Jade to have good matches. You hire her to be a star. The fact that Triple H couldn't get her in the ring on day 1 is a pretty blistering indictment of him, IMO. I think Tony's booking of her is one of his strongest examples of his prowess. She looks, talks, and acts like a star. Who gives a fuck if she can bump? She doesn't need to.

• Like 3

We were at WrestleMania in New York and I've watched it back,  the place was pretty loud.  Plus, we were there for seven hours.  It was just as cold as tonight was in Philly.  Maybe Philly is just soft?  

• Thanks 2

I had a few competing sources of noise during Night 1, much like during my viewing of Dynamite, so I don't really notice the commentary much

McAfee was loud enough to break though a little bit though

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I agree with what you've said about her ability, but you don't hire Jade to have good matches. You hire her to be a star. 

I don't think the Goldberg thing works longterm.  Can Jade show up and kick ass and squash people for a while?  Sure... but when she's finally met her match whether it's against Bianca or Rhea or whoever,  she's going to be expected to do the 15-20 minute main event style... that's just how it works these days.  That's what the company will want and that's what fans have been conditioned to expect from all of the wrestling they consume.  

The days of Andre The Giant special attractions are over because there will be 10,000 people chanting "YOU CAN'T WRESTLE!"  

Look what happened with Maxxine about a month ago and nobody should EVER give a fuck whether Maxxine can string a couple moves together but apparently they do. 

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

Andre was great though

You're talking about early Andre.  I'm talking about black singlet Andre who could barely move but nobody cared because he was a fucking giant.  Those days are done. 

There’s a few interesting things that stood out to me that I didn’t see mentioned here so far:

1. I thought the production presentation was actively bad more often than not. It seems like they had a lot of new toys and didn’t understand who was lead camera in a lot of the matches. Some weird cutaways and replay choices, especially on Cody’s two missed Cody Cutters that Roman didn’t want to take due to his nose. It seems like they’re gonna be in a transition phase for a while on big shows to get this stuff right.

2. They didn’t understand pacing at all tonight. Across the board. It seemed like the entire show was built around getting people a moment to look good as opposed to telling the stories that needed telling. The only time it really worked was with Sami’s brainbuster because, like Claudio hitting the UFO, it was meant to mean something big on a big show. I was amazed by this. The NXT model of basically making each match distinct and essentially stand alone while not considering the show as a whole is not how you do it. Yea, you’re ending storylines across the board on this show, but you also have to make the show flow cohesively. And that did not happen tonight. There were plenty of opportunities throughout to wake up the crowd and none of them hit. 

3. I’m now pretty confident that Trips is not going to be involved in any of the Vince fallout given his prominence this weekend. Heyman went out of his way to verbally fellate him last night at the HOF, he led the show off tonight, and everything seems to point to his direction being the one forward even with the looming presence of Gerwitz dealing with Rock’s involvement. I’m jnot sure how much I believe it and how much this has the chance to blow up in their faces, but it would really be something if they trip over themselves to force the new direction only for the result to not land nearly as good as the build-up on what was one of the most anticipated shows in company history. This has happened many times before at WM because they force too many things through instead of trimming the fat and hitting the beats that need to be hit, and those issues only get compounded when the spotlight shines bright. There’s a feeling that things tomorrow night don’t go nearly as smoothly, especially if the rumored cameos hit during Cody’s homage to the Avengers assembling. 

A truly weird show given so much of it seemed overproduced when the strengths of peak NXT was keeping that side of things simple. I don’t see that happening tomorrow, either. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You're talking about early Andre.  I'm talking about black singlet Andre who could barely move but nobody cared because he was a fucking giant.  Those days are done. 

You put wise old Andre in the Tokyo Dome against a terrified Zack Sabre Jr and your minimum is 7 Stars. You put him across from Roman in a mild weather but brittle Philly fans are shaking and even they would be losing their minds. You put him in Dynamite against Penta and the arena would sell out and the era of good feelings would return.

All hail Andre! 

(I get your point though and am fixating on a small thing)

I think the lack of a hot wired crowd hurt tonight’s show a lot. 

Also Roman clarified at the press conference that his leukemia is still in remission but his oral chemotherapy is something he will be taking for the rest of his life for treatment. And he’s still able to wrestle through it.

Frankly I never had a problem with Roman’s part time schedule and I liked it when the belt was unified. We never needed two world titles or separate rosters. The draft is useless anyway.

also you could see the refs blatantly holding the ladders tonight for high spots. Something WWE sycophants ruthlessly whined about happening in AEW.

bitching aside I’m happy Grayson Waller won a title. I hope this can elevate him to some degree. I think he’s underrated and one of the best heels on SmackDown. Jury is still out on Austin Theory. Basically everything Cena said about him has been proven true. He’s a couple steps away from being another Bo Dallas or Curtis Axel. The selfie gimmick was okay for him but he didn’t evolve after that. My hope is this can turn them into a Miz/Morrison duo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Caught a bit of the press conference. Apparently Roman is still on some sort of oral chemo which is why Pat mentioned he was fighting Leukemia still. 

My Buddy Has something very similar to what Roman has he beat it as well, but he has to take a chemo pill the rest of his life. 

Edited by Hail Sabin
  • Like 3