DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, EVA said:

I thought it was interesting that Cody seemed to be getting some boos during the main event.

If this keeps up, he’ll bring in the flaming tables again.

Bring back the black hair dye:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.632e0cff888c909b374dda1b14de8605?rik=txsqpUdvY8QQiw&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.a55548d444e5ae510e83e48305177544?rik=2f750uKl4eTvCQ&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

While I disliked the Uso match, I hated in the six woman more. It felt like Damage Control were treated like jobbers. Cargil felt extraneous, and didn't bring much to it at all.

Zayn -GUNTHER was MOTN, but it felt more like a manufactured epic than an actual one. Needed to be longer.

The main was long and boring. I liked it when they went into the crowd, but other than that it didn't work for me. The Rock looks good, and the right team one, so there's that.

• Like 1

Cody Rhodes doing a video for a US Olympian (corporate synergy) reminds me that Nick Khan would probably throw his brother into traffic to get someone like Katie Ledecky to show up at a card or otherwise associate herself with the WWE

The main event was about 20 minutes longer than it needed to be. First half was super plodding—the crowd wasn’t wild enough to justify all the stalling and teasing at the beginning, the crowd brawling was mid, and the heat on Rollins was perfunctory.

• Like 3

I think one of the problems with the crowd in the main event was who to root for. Kayfabe's dead, so everyone pretty much knew whoever won night one was going to lose night two (theoretically). So if you're a Cody fan, it's difficult to root for something you don't want to happen. Same with Roman fans.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Did the crowd seem dead for the most part or is sleep deprived me making a mistake?

It's cold as fuck, it's open air, and by the main event people were tired. There were times the crowd was trying to sing Rollins song but without the music, it was tons of people going " Ohhhh, Ohhh, Oh" unsynchronized . So it sounded weird.

• Thanks 1

I preface this by saying that WWE's presentation has never been less "for me" than it is currently. I don't give a fuck about moments. Having said that, I really thought this was fucking brutal. Other than Gunther/Sami, which ruled ass, there was not a single genuinely compelling moment on this show. Triple H might be better at diplomacy than his father in law, but the idea that "we will tell you how to feel" is as alive as ever in WWE. Becky/Rhea was okay. I don't have much feeling about either woman. Rhea is cool. Becky appears to be on her way out.

Andrade/Rey vs. Santos/Dom was so counter-intuitive. It feels like Andrade was promised a prominent 'Mania spot as part of his WWE return. Wrong team went over. Carlito should've turned. Some cool moves, but again, no genuine emotion. Just being dictated to about what a big moment it was for Rey and Andrade. Santos Escobar deserves better. He's so fucking good and is stuck. Angel and Berto, too. 

Tag Team Ladder match was what it was. Theory and Waller are the embodiment of what's wrong w WWE today to me. Great look. Good athletes. Not one speck of realism. R-Truth getting a moment was cool. Maybe the only truly earned moment on the entire show.

I tell a lie. Sami winning was cool, too, even thought this feels like a huge demotion from where he was last year. Great moment, though.

Women's trio match was cookie cutter. Handful of badass entrances, though. Match did it's job, even if it was as vanilla is it gets. 

Main event was fucking dogshit. Just awful. Whoever laid this match out wanted it to feel epic so bad. Multiple staredowns to silence. An indecisive, dead crowd. Heavy handed, plodding, devoid of genuine emotion. It's not a good sign that Roman felt like a complete afterthought. I've always known Seth Rollins isn't a star, but holy hell did he disappear during this. This match could not have gone off worse than it did. That's not true. Everyone involved could've torn an ACL. Besides that, this was worst case scenario for Triple H. What's really galling is that there are Wweeboos in certain corner's of Beyonce's internet who will insist that Triple H was "cooking" and that this is "cinema." I'm gonna watch the 8 man tag from CMLL a couple weeks ago to cleanse my pallet from this generic, overproduced nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Splitting WM into two nights because of what a massive slog the show was getting to be was a good idea, but they just padded it so much with promos, adds, and all other manner of filler that seven matches (three of which were pretty short) took almost four hours.

This is a Peacock thing. We get all the match videos and character profiles. But the real reason for all these damn commercials is for... actual commercials. For the non ad-free people. They get actual legitimate commercials. So the ad-free people get content that tries to hide we're stalling for commercial breaks.

Boy Jimmy Uso just doesn't give a shit anymore huh? His physique directly compared to his own twin was pretty stark. Jey has it as a personality. Jimmy doesn't. That was a really bad match and I feel for Jey who is red hot over.

Gunther & Sami was really good. As was that one shot promo leading to Sami's entrance. One of the best things I've seen from the new production.

Main was solid when grading on a curve. A bit long. But very story driven and sets up quite a few payoffs. I've been on the train since day one that I think Roman is breaking the Bruno record. But I am putting it out there now. I think they shift off that plan and Cody is up tomorrow. It's the right call. Cody is dead if you have him lose again. It's a very Austin at WM14-like dynamic where the new tippy top face goes over right as a new era is cresting. Plus when all the legends come out to even the odds that's gonna be a hot spot. Taker, Cena, Austin, Hogan counteract The Bloodline.

Rock got that pin to setup a future Rock v Cody match where Cody goes over clean to get the ultimate rub, I would assume.

I thought Becky/Rhea was a good, strong match. A nice, Bret-esque subtle shift to being a bit of a dick by Becky when she realized the crowd was with Rhea. The electric chair spot was really neat and could’ve been the finish.

• Like 1

Caught a bit of the press conference. Apparently Roman is still on some sort of oral chemo which is why Pat mentioned he was fighting Leukemia still. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Caught a bit of the press conference. Apparently Roman is still on some sort of oral chemo which is why Pat mentioned he was fighting Leukemia still. 

I forgot about that by Pat McAfee, took me aback. Fuck cancer.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Man was that Uso match the shits. Seriously one of the worst matches I’ve seen in years. Based on storyline and the brains trust in the back, absolutely no excuse for something so piss poor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Freezing cold weather or not, the crowd tonight was terrible and they did not show up. The entrance stage was also weak sauce and nowhere near as good as WrestleMania 39. 

The ladder match was trash and an overdone spotfest. The match to make was Judgment Day vs. R-Truth. Damian Priest being a Money in the Bank holder feels like a total after-thought at this point. He hasn't been built up or groomed at all. Match felt like a convoluted way to split up the titles because it was for the UNDISPUTED TAG TEAM TITLES. I mean why would Waller and Theory even try to stay in the match after winning one set of titles? They should've tried to peace out because that's the chicken shit heel thing to do.

The Mysterio tag team match felt relatively pointless and all done as a way to get Kelce make an appearance on the show. I just feel like one year later they haven't progressed from Dominik vs. Rey at all. Escobar's been screwed over in this feud with Rey for months. The heels desperately needed to win here. They still could've had the NFL dudes come in to help after the match.

Sami vs. Gunther thankfully salvaged most of this show. I still think this was not Sami's match to win. It felt like a waste of ending Gunther's title reign. People were emotionally behind Gable and wanted him to get this and that could've cemented his career and made him a made man. That's why people turned on Sami winning this on social media. They wanted Gable to get his moment. Nonetheless, it was a great match and the best match of the night. I did enjoy Sami doing his turnbuckle brainbuster since I was never expecting him to do that in WWE. A good finishing sequence.

The main event was what it was. Clearly going half-speed to protect The Rock. I do think the match went on way too long. Felt like it needed to be about 25-30 minutes tops. I loved The Rock's entrance and him coming out with that garish stupid looking Brahma Bull belt. It felt perfectly in character. I think Rock and Reigns winning was right and stacks the deck in front of underdog Cody for the rematch tomorrow. 

The crowd was clearly just not in the mood for like this deliberately plodding three-hour plus main event. I was fine with it because it ultimately did what it needed to do, but it was overly long and not quite fun to watch. 

But yeah, clearly need to rethink open-air stadiums at certain times of the year. Better luck next time Philly. Will Minneapolis this time of the year be just as cold? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, matwarz said:

Man was that Uso match the shits. Seriously one of the worst matches I’ve seen in years. Based on storyline and the brains trust in the back, absolutely no excuse for something so piss poor.

For a match that was supposed to be their dream match, they didn't have much of a plan here. Like this was the match they campaigned for and wanted for years. This is the match they stupidly broke up the team for and having Jimmy turn on Jey for absolutely no reason when he was the one who wanted out of the Bloodline in the first place. Bad booking. Bad creative. Bad storytelling. Shitty match.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Let's make our #1 heel sympathetic. 

• Like 1

The other thing I thought about with Rock/Reigns vs Cody/Rollins: to me, if the Rock busted Cody open on a Raw and it was physical at the press conference or on various Raws and Smackdowns, the match should have been absolutely unhinged. Rock should have given unprotected chairshots to the head (or received them). Cody or Rollins nearly get hung with a cable. All four guys should have been busted open. Hell, have Cody set a table on fire, or use skewers or use thumbtacks or borrowed a weedwacker from Jon Moxley's house.

Instead, it was a standard tag match with Rock ordering the ref not to count him out or pulling him out of the ring to break up pin attempts. The gloves should have come off with the match but it didn't. Hopefully, Cody does this tomorrow night or something.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Will Minneapolis this time of the year be just as cold? 

despite what you might think from the name, US Bank Stadium is a dome, they've hosted a Final Four

the main flaw in that venue is that birds fly into it and die, if it was open air in Minneapolis, there is no chance in hell it would sniff a Wrestlemania

• Thanks 1