DVDVR Message Board

2024 Hollywood Business

Dolfan in NYC

On 5/20/2024 at 9:26 AM, RIPPA said:

This is getting a good laugh locally today

I know billionaires are generally clueless and out of touch with the real world , and Dan Synder might take that cake but does he really have no idea where roughly 95% of hollywood lies politically? 

Universal is rebooting The Munsters again and some exec played "lets remember some movies that ran on UHF stations when I was a kid" and development is starting on a series based on 1976's Car Wash. I missed my calling since I'd totally green light a Fish That Saved Pittsburgh series and a dark remake of Six Pack starring Joaquin Phoenix as Brewster Baker.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/munsters-reboot-car-wash-series-universal-studio-group-1236013059/

• Like 1

I feel like they missed their window on Car Wash by a good 25 years. Matter of fact, Dre and Snoop did their version called The Wash back in the early 2000s directed by DJ Pooh. It was...a movie. Probably one of the best things you can say about it. I mean they tried, but it was just basically a low budget homage with a bunch of useless cameos. I could see them basically trying to recreate what The Get Down did or was trying to do with the origins of hip hop in the Bronx, but it would need to feel organic and not ham-fisted.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Peacock has a $19.99 for the year special going on right now, you need to poke around a little but they have the special for returning customers besides new ones.

Shit, mine re-ups for $60 soon.  Care to give a buddy a step by step?

23 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Shit, mine re-ups for $60 soon.  Care to give a buddy a step by step?

I don't think you get the deal if you're still subscribing, do the old use a different email address to sign-up as a new customer.

https://www.peacocktv.com/?cid=2406aoannualofrpkpdsearch16706&utm_campaign=2406aoannualofr&utm_source=pk_ggl_gglsa&utm_medium=pd_search_acq_prfmx&utm_term=20033190171&utm_content=na_na&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwx-CyBhAqEiwAeOcTdSp6Uc8hTojLIP9t6sz7QFX1E9bd7inTMAu6sCAo6Uk9-dy61wyffRoCHFwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

The Tribeca Film Festival just announced they are going to screen short films created by OpenAI.  

Please bookmark this for the next announcement in 2-3 weeks where they retract this decision after all of their writers, directors, stars, and sponsors threaten a boycott. 

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Tribeca Film Festival just announced they are going to screen short films created by OpenAI.  

Please bookmark this for the next announcement in 2-3 weeks where they retract this decision after all of their writers, directors, stars, and sponsors threaten a boycott. 

They don't have that long. Festival opens Wednesday and runs through the 16th

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Fuck...

They are gonna end up closing them and using them for promotional storage aren't they.

They claim there will be no changes but I told my son that he probably should use the gift card he got for them sooner rather than later

On 6/12/2024 at 3:44 PM, dogwelder said:

There's some thought based on the press release that Sony buying Alamo Drafthouse is tied to Sony owning Crunchyroll and pushing more anime films into US theaters.

Crunchyroll made an interesting splash at a convention for theater chain owners. Apparently they did this whole presentation in front of these old people who were "like what the fuck is this" Then Crunchyroll explained how much money is being made from these anime film events and everyone in the room was like "Holy Shit- Sign me up for this Blue Lock Film"

Essentially CR came in and said "You don't know us. You don't care about our product. But your grandkids are spending bank on us." 

I find it interesting that Sony has purchased a theater chain after also making a deal to release Disney blurays.

It's like they're trying to mine old revenue streams that others are abandoning.

• Like 1

For the record - apparently Sony's deal is for 35 Alamos across the country but not all of them

For example - the owner of the local Alamo (the one that is thankfully 5 minutes from my house) told the local news that they and all the DC area Alamo's are part of a different franchise group and shouldn't be affected by this deal

Here is a full story on the purchase

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sony-pictures-acquires-alamo-drafthouse-cinemas-1235920928/

On 6/17/2024 at 10:13 AM, RIPPA said:

For the record - apparently Sony's deal is for 35 Alamos across the country but not all of them

For example - the owner of the local Alamo (the one that is thankfully 5 minutes from my house) told the local news that they and all the DC area Alamo's are part of a different franchise group and shouldn't be affected by this deal

Here is a full story on the purchase

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sony-pictures-acquires-alamo-drafthouse-cinemas-1235920928/

I didn't realize Alamo was franchised like that and not all centrally owned. 

But, then, there's not one within four hours of here. AFAIK there's not one in Michigan.

1 hour ago, driver said:

Find that surprising as Grand Rapids or Lansing would be a prime location for one.

A lot of Michigan is still full of local chains like Neighborhood Cinema Group and Celebration Cinema. There's some Regal and AMC, though not particularly close to me.

I live in the place Roger Ebert was born and he have not only lost the Art Theater, but the Virginia is shutting down after being around for decades. If you think an Alamo would work here, there probably wouldn't be a better place to have a shot, but they're still drying up even though the two chains on either side of town are booming. 

I'll never be not mad about the Art. Owner wanted to sell the fucking seats out of the place. And now it's just abandoned.

Edited by Curt McGirt