DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/7 - 2/13/2024 - First Come, First Swerved

Another GREAT two hours of the wrestling, bummer it's off next week. Lucha! BCC! Eddie vs Danielson RESPECT match coming! Garcia/Taylor was nice. Said it before but Elite Copeland rocks, can't wait for Wednesday's match. Really thought tonight we'd get the Queen Aminata Is All Elite graphic but they're leaning into it happening soon. Crowd was oddly quiet for the bout before with Purrazzo/Hogan. Loved Ishii doing three different DDT sells in a row. 

• Like 3

I missed big chunks of this but saw: 

- Garcia vs. Taylor. Hey guess what? Shane Taylor is really fucking good. Really. He was just an absolute destroyer here, the overhand chop he laid in was the most devastating strike I saw/heard all night on a card with Brody King AND Tomohiro Ishii, his punch looked like it could disconnect your jaw. He's also a mocking SOB who makes fun of the dance which was a nice fuck-you to get the crowd against him. Danny, of course, is game game game and goes after the knee with a vengeance. Winning with kneebar like UWF never went away was a special finish. 

- King vs. Briscoe. So who was supposed to be the monster here? Because from what I saw it was Chicken, since Brody gave him everything and a drop of extra in this match. There hasn't been any match this one-sided against Brody in AEW (or probably anywhere else). And because it's Mark Briscoe of course it looked like it made total sense. Basically he slips on the proverbial banana peel instead of even having Brody rally at the end. Julia disgorging all the blood out of Mark via a freakin' spike nail that looks like it was stolen from some war metal band's stage gear was of course fantastic, and hopefully he cut a furious promo covered in sangre backstage. 

- I didn't really pay much attention to either women's match so I'll go back. There was a Kevin Sullivan reference from Nigel that made Tony bust out a Gorilla Monsoon "stop it", and it looked like she had a nosebleed at the end? 

- Cassidy vs. Ishii. The beginning of this was really clever and almost like a silent comedy routine. After it picked up though Orange was really bad with not making his strikes look any good in comparison to Ishii so as to get his over, because they were barely even touching the man, like a corner dropkick that was basically him jumping at the last second and placing the soles of his shoes on his chest momentarily. I mean you don't have to completely pull every one, at least look like you're trying, especially since Ishii's gonna run right through you. The start and finish were really good though. 

• Like 1

Tonight was a good show as usual. I liked how they set up Mox/Claudio vs. FTR. There is a match I didn't expect to happen but here we are.

Shane Taylor vs. Danny Garcia was a fun match. Taylor chopped the soul out of him in the corner. But I liked how Garcia worked the knee and eventually won with a kneebar. Taylor is good though and they need to do more with him in ROH.

Briscoe vs. King was fun. Mark was busting out Sabu spots with the chair and table. That Gonzo bomb of Brody's is nasty and Julia with the roofing nail was just a nice touch. That was a ton of blood though.

Eddie Kingston and Adam Copeland both called out The Corporate Young Bucks. I wonder if that will play into anything coming up or will Tony just forget about it in passing. I'm glad we're getting Eddie vs. Bryan again though. Making him have to respect you. That's a fun stipulation.

Cassidy vs. Ishii was fun. Some nice comedy mixed in with Ishii knocking the hell out of poor Orange. I liked the ending and then The Undisputed Kingdom running in for a spike piledriver. The group might be floundering, but Roddy, Taven, and Bennet are doing their best to get some heat going while Cole is seemingly still injured.

• Like 1

Other than the Hook and Cage 1v2 squashes this was a good week of wrestling. Lots of showcasing of the women. Lots of showcasing of the CMLL crew with good opponents (it dawned on me they probably can’t fight the other luchadores because they’re AAA associated). Some stiff matches with hardway blood, and Briscoe tapping a gusher after a spike attack.

Adam Copeland-Eddie Kingston is a match I didn’t know I wanted but I think could be a great one. Copeland-Garcia will be a good one too, and one that I think is not a foregone conclusion.

Having Ruby walk out on Saraya right when it looks like they’re building to a women’s tag tourney or belt is a little weird. I guess you can have Ruby Solo and Saraya-Harley as a tag team (a rough one...)

Theyve built a good PPV on top of the marquee event.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Brody yelling WE’RE EATING CHICKEN TONIGHT while he had Mark up for the Gonzo bomb was some cartoon monster heel shit and I loved it.

That's what he said?! Seven fucking stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Like 5

Mox/Claudio v Esfinge/Junior was a nice opener. The CMLL relationship is providing nothing but fun. The FTR-BCC angle was well done. This to me signals a bright AEW future. Garcia v Taylor was good. Sting/Darby video package was fine. The 'Wrestling' highlights were rushed over a bit too quick. Eddie Kingston promo perhaps suggested some smoke was at play. Brian Cage v Outrunners was more bullshit. NO more handicap matches. Please! Truth and Floyd don't need a lot of credibility, but I still loathe seeing them being beaten like this. I did like Cage's clover leaf. Ishii/Roddy promo was good. Good use of the name gimmick. I really want to see Ishii v Roddy. Adam Copeland/Daniel Garcia promo was good. I like that match. I like Adam v Kingston too. Stat/Willow/Stoke promo was okay if a bit clumsy. King v Briscoe was fucking excellent. These guy's are both getting hot. I loved how they worked this story. The table spot felt like one of the better ones in a long, long time. The post match felt like a high end territory angle. What a fucking gusher! Loved this. Could've used some ppl running out to save Mark. Julia In-ring has been trying at times, but her character work is connecting with the audience. No better than in this post match. I would've liked an update after this brutal attack. The Bryan Keith promo was on point. Really happy for this guy. Purrazzo v Kiera was okay. This could've used a promo off the top leading in. Can we ge the SNME Collision opening going again? The Danielson/Kingston entrance interruption gimmick reappears. I wanted a little more of an interaction between Mariah and Deonna. Queen v Toni was good. Both Toni and Deonna are captivating in-ring performers. A new Toni short scares me. Let's hope they've improved on the concept from their previous excruciating misfires. The praise around Ishii v Orange in the thread convinced me to give my initially low voter opinion an encore viewing. On second view I loved this match! Completely worked. Glad I considered my initial lack of focus. Fun show. Stoked for FTR v BCC. I need to take another look at BCC v FTR/Mark Briscoe from the ROHPPV. AEDub buzzing along! Fun show.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd go out of my way to catch the rest of Collision, especially Brody King/Mark Briscoe. 

Thank you for the heads up. King/Briscoe was awesome. Julia has really grown into her role. King is just an unbelievably great monster. Garcia/Taylor was good too. I like the story they are telling with DG's schedule wearing him down. Opening tag was fun as hell. Esfinge has a killer mask. 

My biggest issue with the show is still Nigel. He just runs me the wrong way, similar to Graves. 

• Like 1

Nigel makes a few decent calls.  When Shane Taylor hit Garcia with his finisher, which is just a hard punch, and Garcia kicked out at two, Nigel protected Taylor's finish by saying that Garcia must have seen it coming and tucked his chin.  But yeah, for every really good call, there are about seven instances of overbearing shit.  I'd still take him over JR any day, though.  Watching old PPVs and TV, I find myself saying "oh god JR shut the fuck up" a few times per show.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

My biggest issue with the show is still Nigel. He just runs me the wrong way, similar to Graves. 

I see Nigel hate, and often coupled with Graves (whom I also like), and I wonder if there’s an aversion to heel commentary? To my ears, Nigel McGuiness is spot on with flourishes of hilarity. I also like how he keeps the over-reaching kayfabe fantasy calls of Riccaboni, Schivone, and especially Kevin Kelly in check. Nigel also worked exceptionally well with Caprice Coleman. I guess to each their own, but I’m on Team Nigel. 

Concerning commentary, did I hear Kevin Kelly respond to Tony’s comment that Lois hasn’t made lunch since the 80s with a chauvinistic remark? I may not have heard that right. Nonetheless, Kelly was particularly annoying during this episode. 

On 2/10/2024 at 11:29 AM, Matt D said:

like Sydal. He's sort of the only Sydal that they need (Sorry, brother Mike). In as I don't think they need to hire guys like Ziggler because they already have him. He's crisp in execution, pretty good at building and layering matches, always overdelivers, and isn't as bland and mechanical as Daniels (who I like better now than fifteen years ago because he has a bit more old grit to him, but...). He's a great lower mid card babyface to make people look bette

I'm super late to this post, but I'll second this. He's had a run of really, really good TV matches starting with the Rampage match vs Jericho a month or two ago. If he's not going to be in the International or TNT title conversation in any meaningful way, since his brother is gone and Jack Evans is gone, they should just team him with Angelico IMO

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I see Nigel hate, and often coupled with Graves (whom I also like), and I wonder if there’s an aversion to heel commentary? To my ears, Nigel McGuiness is spot on with flourishes of hilarity. I also like how he keeps the over-reaching kayfabe fantasy calls of Riccaboni, Schivone, and especially Kevin Kelly in check. Nigel also worked exceptionally well with Caprice Coleman. I guess to each their own, but I’m on Team Nigel. 

Concerning commentary, did I hear Kevin Kelly respond to Tony’s comment that Lois hasn’t made lunch since the 80s with a chauvinistic remark? I may not have heard that right. Nonetheless, Kelly was particularly annoying during this episode. 

I don't think I dislike heel commentary but I think both are heavy handed with it. But then I love Heenan on commentary and he was over the top so maybe it's just those two. Michael Cole was annoying as a heel too. Honestly, as I'm typing this I'm thinking that you may be right and Heenan was an exception, along with Ventura.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I don't think I dislike heel commentary but I think both are heavy handed with it. But then I love Heenan on commentary and he was over the top so maybe it's just those two. Michael Cole was annoying as a heel too. Honestly, as I'm typing this I'm thinking that you may be right and Heenan was an exception, along with Ventura.

One of the other differences is the overall configuration of 2 voices in the booth vs. 3. What Nigel (and I guess Graves, but I haven't heard any of his recent output) has to do to be effective is more of a balancing act than straight heel commentary IMO, because he's also there to be the 'ex-player' voice, which to me is more of a de-facto babyface role (think Taz now, Big Show/Mark Henry on Dark, or going back a ways, Larry Z on Nitro or Randy Savage on those early RAW episodes) - it's gotta be tough for Nigel when he's working a booth which, at its core, is essentially two PBP guys in KK and TS, as opposed to the Vince/Jesse, Gorilla/Brain two-man situation. I think what Nigel does is probably closer to something resembling Heenan's role in the second hour of Nitro where he had to navigate having both TS and Mike Tenay in there, as opposed to anything from his WWF tenure.

• Like 2

I never heard Heenan until he showed up in WCW, and I thought he was awful. And what I've heard of his older WWF stuff, I didn't like either. But then, it was a show for kids. Had I watched it as a kid, perhaps I would have warm nostalgic feelings towards his work, but I was already an adult and time only passes one way.

If you talk to the Attitude Era children, they think of JR and King the same way that Rock n Wrestling Connection kids think of Heenan and Gorilla.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

That's a good point. Until I went back and rewatched a lot of Attitude Era stuff, my memories of Lawler and JR were much rosier than the reality. 

I don't know if anything holds up as poorly as the Attitude Era, JR & Lawler included. The Invasion was a big, steamy pile of shit, but Paul Heyman did his best to put the Alliance over. Lawler never would have done that, aside from Stacey Keibler and Torrie Wilson. 

• Like 4