DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/15 - 1/21/2024 - A Kernel of R-Truth

That's not actually true - Edge had his 1st from WM through New Year's Revolution 2006. Over 9 months total. MITB last year was July 1.

It is semi-ridiculous given he basically has 5 ppl to help him - my guess is that they're going to do the cash-in and Balor is going to screw him. But if Rollins can't go, perhaps they do just do the cash-in & have the screw job later.

It's been rumoured that HHH hates the MITB cash-in. The wider issue with Priest is that he's 41 and, whilst they clearly like him, they probably don't see him as a real main-eventer...and we're coming into a WM season that feels very full.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

That's not actually true - Edge had his 1st from WM through New Year's Revolution 2006. Over 9 months total. MITB last year was July 1.

It is semi-ridiculous given he basically has 5 ppl to help him - my guess is that they're going to do the cash-in and Balor is going to screw him. But if Rollins can't go, perhaps they do just do the cash-in & have the screw job later.

It's been rumoured that HHH hates the MITB cash-in. The wider issue with Priest is that he's 41 and, whilst they clearly like him, they probably don't see him as a real main-eventer...and we're coming into a WM season that feels very full.

Wow Priest and Balor are fucking ageless. I thought the play would be Dom stealing the briefcase and cashing in and actually winning, preferably by a Rhea Riptiding the shit out of Rollins. Then stick him in the elimination chamber against a murderers row and the story of the match is a) how does he survive and how does hometown girl bust in to save him. Especially if Priest doesn’t turn on him for stealing it.

Watched only Seth / Jinder. Hated it. No fucking urgency ever, strikes looked soft. Maybe I’m spoiled since I watched Kingston / Mox recently, but wow there’s nothing on those strikes. Overbooked and still underwhelming. Rollins continues to be my least favorite dude. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait you can cash in multiple times? You don't lose the briefcase if you fail? 

That's stupid as fuck.

No, you get one chance.  So long as a) you hand over the briefcase, and b) the bell rings. You must win by normal rules to get the title, loss or DQ win means you've lost the case. 

The only exception I can think of to this is when Teddy Long did a no contest after Danielson beat Mark Henry because ...reasons.  

And yes, I've heard Hunter hates the case also.  Evidence A1 there was having Theory stupidly cash in on Seth for the US title, and lose. 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Grayson Waller almost had his Vader moment as apparently the cameraman wasn't taking this shit too seriously

You have to be a special kind of stupid to (soberly!) square up to a guy who's twice your size. Regardless of whatever you think he does for a living.  Grayson could've torn through the host like tissue paper to get to him too.

• Like 1

Hear me out. Damian Priest successfully cashed in on Roman. Then after the match when they open up the briefcase to to certify it, there is no contract just a bunch of pieces of paper R-Truth wrote IOU’s on. Damian’s win is nullified and the Judgement Day w/ R-Truth have many segments to pay off the debts before the next Money in the Bank to get back his briefcase.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Hear me out. Damian Priest successfully cashed in on Roman. Then after the match when they open up the briefcase to to certify it, there is no contract just a bunch of pieces of paper R-Truth wrote IOU’s on. Damian’s win is nullified and the Judgement Day w/ R-Truth have many segments to pay off the debts before the next Money in the Bank to get back his briefcase.

Warning, fantasy booking below:

They've never done it before but what if they opened it up before or during the cash in match? That way Priest looks to have a guaranteed win and Truth takes that from him but there's still a little mystery and you save the 'pinned Roman' heat for another time. The rest still works

As a side angle, who did Truth trade the contract to? *MJF's music hits*

On 1/16/2024 at 12:29 PM, Casey said:

I believe Cora tore her ACL so… yeah that’s 9 months minimum I’m pretty sure?

Meltzer brought it up but there has been a real string of injuries within the women’s division in NXT, specifically ACL tears. Nikkita Lyons, Sol Ruca and Wendy Choo are the others I think.

There's an uptick in ACL tears for women across all sports at all levels. I'd assume the solution would require a lot of shared data.

according to Sean Ross Sapp on Twitter:

Seth Rollins sustained a torn MCL and a partially torn meniscus on Monday's WWE Raw, Fightful Select has learned.

While it absolutely sucks for Seth. it makes the Rumble even more interesting if possible 

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

according to Sean Ross Sapp on Twitter:

Seth Rollins sustained a torn MCL and a partially torn meniscus on Monday's WWE Raw, Fightful Select has learned.

While it absolutely sucks for Seth. it makes the Rumble even more interesting if possible 

I was thinking what would happen if Seth Rollins had to vacate the World Heavyweight Championship which now looks likely. However Seth Rollins tore his MCL in January 2017 but still made it to WrestleMania 33. In November 2015 as WWE Champion, Rollins tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus so he had to vacate. Vacant World Heavyweight Championship to be up for grabs in the Men's Royal Rumble match like the WWF Championship in 1992 and in 2016? Do we get Cody Rhodes vs. CM Punk for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania? Drew McIntyre vs. CM Punk at WrestleMania? Damian Priest will look a right idiot if he doesn't cash the Money in the Bank on an injured Seth Rollins.

As for the WWE Championship/WWE Universal Championship, is it Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes II, Roman Reigns vs. The Rock or Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes vs. The Rock? I'd rather see Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes II. To me, the story dating back to Cody's return is holding the WWE Championship, the belt Dusty Rhodes never held.

Edited by The Natural

It's probably good that I'm not on creative because Pretty Deadly would be all over television. I can't explain exactly why but I love those guys.

Bailey talking about Ripley has me hoping it's just misdirection. To me the obvious story is her getting kicked out of Damage Control and going after Io. 

• Like 2

Opening segment was longer than I would have liked but did a good job having things come to a boil between Knight and Styles while giving Aldis & Orton moments to shine with Heyman.

LWO vs. Legado del Fantasma was good. Glad Santos snuck away with the victory.

Dunne/Bate vs. Pretty Deadly was another good match between the teams and nice showcase for Bate and Dunne. Its good to see Dunne back as the bruiserweight. He did the Butch role well, but it always felt out of place. 

The Lashley/Profits and FInal testament promos setting up their faceoff for next week were solid.

The KO/Paul segment was pretty good and gave a nice bit of extra importance to their match with Logan seeing it as a way to gain a long wanted vengeance. As much as he may suck as person Paul continues to be pretty good at this in and out of the ring.

KC Squared vs. Unholy Union was pretty nice while it lasted but also pretty short. They deserved more time. Still both teams looked impressive, and it did set up the KCs defending against Kabuki Warriors next week. Would have preferred Damage Ctrl. garner some heat by attacking Fyre & Dawn at the very least. Felt weird for them to not try to gain some measure of vengeance for the Holiday Havoc match. Bayley even brought up the attack on commentary. Stuff like this is why the division has had trouble building and keeping momentum. For whatever reason HHH just doesn't give the same level of attention and care he gave it in NXT.

Was nice to see Theory ok and them set up a rematch between him and Melo. Hopefully it goes better than last week.

Styles/Knight bleed into Orton/Solo. Both matches were fun while they lasted but felt more like angles than actual matches. It all worked well in setting up Roman to finally sign the contract and giving Orton his badass hero moment, but you can't help but feel a little cheated match wise. 

The first two matches of tonight were good but nothing amazing. The rest even being done well served more build to other matches and angles. Solid tv from a story standpoint but disappointing from an actual wrestling standpoint. Builds like tonight even when done well should be avoided on a show like Smackdown that has few enough matches as things already stand. Was an arguably solid show but also disappointing at the same time.

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

It's probably good that I'm not on creative because Pretty Deadly would be all over television. I can't explain exactly why but I love those guys.

Bailey talking about Ripley has me hoping it's just misdirection. To me the obvious story is her getting kicked out of Damage Control and going after Io. 

Pretty Deadly are great at they do and fun to watch.

They just had Rhea and Becky have a direct confrontation on Raw to tease the match they have been saving for Wrestlemania the past year. It got one of the biggest reactions that night. Bayley's comments are absolutely a misdirection and have been talked about as Damage Ctrl.'s plan for around a month or more now. They seemingly just decided to delay Bayley getting kicked out of Damage Ctrl post War Games because it was too obvious to do it then.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Pretty Deadly rules because they're one of the only silly gimmicks there right now, while also being solid workers and a good team.  

• Like 4