DVDVR Message Board
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

FYI --

On 2/22/2024 at 1:55 PM, Phil Schneider said:

Folks have asked me how they can help with the show, we are looking for people to sponsor matches! So if you have something you want to promote reach out to Matt at [email protected]. Just let him know what you want to promote!!

I was also thinking that we could have the board as a whole sponsor a match, if folks have some cash to spare we could all pool it and have a match be a "brought to you by the DVDVR board." One of the things I am excited about for this show is that we are bringing in folks who aren't the typical "Mania weekend guys working 10 shows" Demus and Slim J aren't working anywhere else Mania weekend, Thatcher is only working us and Bloodsport, and we have one more wild name like that we are working on, but could use some help with the plane tickets and hotel room. 

If you want to contribute to the group sponsorship, you can PayPal Matt at [email protected] or use Venmo or Cashapp, just put DVDVR Board DEAN~! sponsorship in the tag line. If we could raise a couple hundred bucks it would make it a lot easier to pull the trigger on this name we are working on 🙂

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

37 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

One of my biggest complaints about modern day wrestling is the overly choreographed aspect of it, where guys are clearly moving into position or standing around waiting with their back turned long enough to take me out.  This match, on the other hand, went 100 mph and was hard hitting, just a great, fun match. 

This was how I felt about everything on the show. Even the tags that veered into being spotfests were full of slapdash intensity instead of dance routines to set the moves ups. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

I don't think Suge D's DVDVR Board name was Suge D, he only started using that as his wrestling name 5 years ago. He was Sugar Dunkerton for years and years before shortening it.

He started his wrestling career using the ring names Carl Wilson and Lamar Phillips (which I think is his shoot name). And Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Oh, was he the dude who in some indie once dunked a basketball and then hung on the rim before using that to perform a Hurucanrana on someone?

Yeah, he wasn't really a Basketballer. It's just, when he was training to wrestle, he was short on finance and couldn't afford to go to the barbershop, so his afro grew out really big. So they gave him an ABA gimmick because he looked the part.

• Like 4

I unfortunately missed that first hour, but jumped in right at 9 (10 Eastern) as Gringo was entering the ring. Will watch the rest and comment later on today, for now here's what my viewing brought.

Spoiler

Loco/Cerebro: The Doctor is tiny. I've not seen the clasicos these guys were supposed to have had but I'll trust it. They worked extremely well together and had a... let's say, a paced match, a little slower and methodical but still good. Soon as Cerebro did that spinning float on Gringo's back I was sold on him. Gringo has been a harder sell for me, my introduction to him was a stinker on an MLW show where he just looked like a fat gassed dude in a mask, so this was a proper reintroduction. Maybe too much talk in the ring but it all worked. Gonna go back and watch this one cuz I missed some stuff. The money tossed in the ring was deserved.

Krule/Warhorse: Parnell has ditched the metalhead gimmick which I am 100% in support of. I think it was him having a Def Leppard patch on his vest. I am a dick like that. Anyway, he looks super focused and intense the whole time, and that's very necessary going up against the beast that is KRULE. In contrast to Gringo I'm high on Krule from his MLW work, dug him before the mask, dig him probably even more after because that is one imposing motherfucker. Masks usually obscure eyes on wrestlers and that is not the case here and it makes for a lot of expressiveness and danger. He just looks like he is gonna wreck you, and he does. Match is surprisingly even, Warhorse has some really good offense (loved his flying elbow drops), there is some ga-ga with a manager and refs losing their shoes from bumps and such but it only slightly marrs the match. This is the belt defense I thought wasn't gonna end in a title change and it doesn't. 

Arez/Makowski: WHAT THE FUCK DID WE JUST WATCH. Baffling and esoteric work from these two... wizards? Would that be the proper terminology? I did not have a lucha-shootstyle hybrid match on my bingo card for tonight, that's for sure. Ares does shit that just makes you go "how". Makowski responds by twisting him into a pretzel. So wild it's hard to even describe, and a big highlight in a card that was turning out to be just one big highlight. 

Slim J/Priest: This was like two Dynamite Kids running into each other head-on like bulls the whole time. Just a ridiculous amount of athleticism from both guys, explosiveness indeed, and a match like chocolate and peanut butter. No money for Slim but he and Adam fucking deserved some! Bonus points to Mr. Priest for coming out to "Into the Void" by Sabbath, that's a killer choice for a wrestling entrance theme. Slim nails the white-trash hip hop thing to a tee, too. I bet all that bling is made of straight plastic. 

I powdered during the tag match to take a shower and scrape off the workday; came back to see a mat so filthy I felt like jumping back in. DEMUS is on my fucking screen and I had forgot he was the one in the dog collar match with Mad Dog Connelly! This is so far up my alley you haven't the slightest; I was chanting "DEMUS" immediately. Every edge-of-chair/edge of-rubber-trashcan shot, all the rolling in the muck, the bloodletting, just a perfect brawl. Demus is the king, asking for a mic just to say (in Spanish) "FUCK YOUR MOTHERS!" followed by (in English) "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!" What little English he did speak was perfect, btw. Him flying out to Arizona to wrestle a mini show tonight on the way back and nothing else is awesome, too. They could have used the brooms for the money this time, think next time ring crew.

Thatcher/Makabe: I mean what do you say to this? Makabe comes out dressed up like Ikeda Daisuke. Thatcher is a fucking lunatic. Put those two things together and end the match with a punch to the face, you need nothing more. Daniel had a touching word for us after and I hope he enjoys his final matches and has a good life after, he's a good man and a great wrestler. 

Best show ever. Pro Wrestling Rules The Motherfucking World, Motherfuckers. DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN!!!

• Like 7

My brother was confused about why The Suplex Assassin Alex Kane from Suplex Island only threw like two suplexes, but Colby’s back seemed absolutely fucked from the second he got in the ring. It was a really good match anyway, but it was the right call to build it around the headlock bit. 

• Like 2

Adam Priest is built like a brick shithouse. I totally see the Noble/Dynamite Kid comparisons, but he also had an old school southern heel FTR thing going on. 

Thatcher was also in incredible shape. To quote 30 Rock, his back is like a barrel of snakes. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Adam Priest is built like a brick shithouse. I totally see the Noble/Dynamite Kid comparisons, but he also had an old school southern heel FTR thing going on. 

I know you know this because you were there, but in case it didn't come through on the stream - Priest was taking verbal shots at Slim J through the whole match. That's a big part of the reason why it was my MOTN. I was invested in supporting Slim, a lot of the crowd was, and Priest used that to his advantage. "You people didn't care about him until now," "Maybe Tony was right to fire you," "I'm better than you because I didn't lose my job," etc.

So Priest had me actually mad about what he was saying. (Then he started wrestling and all I can do is think "fuck, he's so good".)

edit to add: Slim J, for his part, came off as extremely motivated and obviously great too. I know it's happened so many other times with so many other people for whatever reason, but it's crazy that someone as good as he is right now doesn't at LEAST have a secure spot in a major company.

Edited by S.K.o.S.
  • Like 7

The show was incredible. It was so great to hang with Pete and Ray again after all these years, and to get to meet in person so many cool folks from the board/ internet. Makabe was a guest on one of my podcasts a few years ago, and getting to talk and hang with him a bit was a blast.  The entire night was amazing. 

• Like 7

I know a lot of work went into DEAN! And it was meant as a one off but the show was a ton of fun is there any chance of another DVDVR show down the line?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I know you know this because you were there, but in case it didn't come through on the stream - Priest was taking verbal shots at Slim J through the whole match. That's a big part of the reason why it was my MOTN. I was invested in supporting Slim, a lot of the crowd was, and Priest used that to his advantage. "You people didn't care about him until now," "Maybe Tony was right to fire you," "I'm better than you because I didn't lose my job," etc.

So Priest had me actually mad about what he was saying. (Then he started wrestling and all I can do is think "fuck, he's so good".)

edit to add: Slim J, for his part, came off as extremely motivated and obviously great too. I know it's happened so many other times with so many other people for whatever reason, but it's crazy that someone as good as he is right now doesn't at LEAST have a secure spot in a major company.

I was super into Priest heeling it up as well, just classic total dickhead stuff, wasn’t trying to be cool or hip.

And like Gregg mentioned with Thatcher, he was never truly cheating but he added a taste of dickishness to everything he did. 

• Like 3

I watched the second half of the show this morning. Arez has been a favorite of mine to watch for a while now on account of the unorthodox stuff he comes up with (even by lucha standards) and there was an interesting contrast with Makowski's more shooty/mma based offense. I wonder if Makowski was just worn out from competing in Bloodsport then high-tailing it over there but the match was shaping up to be one of the best on the card and seemed to end kind of abruptly.

There were a number of guys on the card I wasn't familiar with, including Demus and Connelly but this match had an extra edge of viciousness to it. I don't know if there was any kind of feud leading up to it, but there was just this sense of urgency both guys were coming out with to try and put the other away. Nothing fancy or creative spots, just old fashioned pain on both ends.

Slim J has always been a generic early 00s indy guy but you know how you can be completely indifferent to someone then out of nowhere they pull off a great match and you wonder where that's been? Priest has impressed me for a while, though most of the stuff I've seen of his has been more hardcore stuff in ICW-NHB and it was cool to see him showcase a fuller display of his skills here.

The main event was fantastic. Just a lot of really painful looking grappling.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I unfortunately missed that first hour, but jumped in right at 9 (10 Eastern) as Gringo was entering the ring. Will watch the rest and comment later on today, for now here's what my viewing brought.

Hide contents

Loco/Cerebro: The Doctor is tiny. I've not seen the clasicos these guys were supposed to have had but I'll trust it. They worked extremely well together and had a... let's say, a paced match, a little slower and methodical but still good. Soon as Cerebro did that spinning float on Gringo's back I was sold on him. Gringo has been a harder sell for me, my introduction to him was a stinker on an MLW show where he just looked like a fat gassed dude in a mask, so this was a proper reintroduction. Maybe too much talk in the ring but it all worked. Gonna go back and watch this one cuz I missed some stuff. The money tossed in the ring was deserved.

Krule/Warhorse: Parnell has ditched the metalhead gimmick which I am 100% in support of. I think it was him having a Def Leppard patch on his vest. I am a dick like that. Anyway, he looks super focused and intense the whole time, and that's very necessary going up against the beast that is KRULE. In contrast to Gringo I'm high on Krule from his MLW work, dug him before the mask, dig him probably even more after because that is one imposing motherfucker. Masks usually obscure eyes on wrestlers and that is not the case here and it makes for a lot of expressiveness and danger. He just looks like he is gonna wreck you, and he does. Match is surprisingly even, Warhorse has some really good offense (loved his flying elbow drops), there is some ga-ga with a manager and refs losing their shoes from bumps and such but it only slightly marrs the match. This is the belt defense I thought wasn't gonna end in a title change and it doesn't. 

Arez/Makowski: WHAT THE FUCK DID WE JUST WATCH. Baffling and esoteric work from these two... wizards? Would that be the proper terminology? I did not have a lucha-shootstyle hybrid match on my bingo card for tonight, that's for sure. Ares does shit that just makes you go "how". Makowski responds by twisting him into a pretzel. So wild it's hard to even describe, and a big highlight in a card that was turning out to be just one big highlight. 

Slim J/Priest: This was like two Dynamite Kids running into each other head-on like bulls the whole time. Just a ridiculous amount of athleticism from both guys, explosiveness indeed, and a match like chocolate and peanut butter. No money for Slim but he and Adam fucking deserved some! Bonus points to Mr. Priest for coming out to "Into the Void" by Sabbath, that's a killer choice for a wrestling entrance theme. Slim nails the white-trash hip hop thing to a tee, too. I bet all that bling is made of straight plastic. 

I powdered during the tag match to take a shower and scrape off the workday; came back to see a mat so filthy I felt like jumping back in. DEMUS is on my fucking screen and I had forgot he was the one in the dog collar match with Mad Dog Connelly! This is so far up my alley you haven't the slightest; I was chanting "DEMUS" immediately. Every edge-of-chair/edge of-rubber-trashcan shot, all the rolling in the muck, the bloodletting, just a perfect brawl. Demus is the king, asking for a mic just to say (in Spanish) "FUCK YOUR MOTHERS!" followed by (in English) "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!" What little English he did speak was perfect, btw. Him flying out to Arizona to wrestle a mini show tonight on the way back and nothing else is awesome, too. They could have used the brooms for the money this time, think next time ring crew.

Thatcher/Makabe: I mean what do you say to this? Makabe comes out dressed up like Ikeda Daisuke. Thatcher is a fucking lunatic. Put those two things together and end the match with a punch to the face, you need nothing more. Daniel had a touching word for us after and I hope he enjoys his final matches and has a good life after, he's a good man and a great wrestler. 

Best show ever. Pro Wrestling Rules The Motherfucking World, Motherfuckers. DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN!!!

Be sure to check out that Mathers/Luke v Williams/Icarus tag match. Thrilling stuff.

Very much with you. Krule v Warhorse was a real surprise. Both guys looked impressive. The angle stuff less so, and too bad the fireball kinda missed - the camera work as a whole was very good on this show. The Dog Collar match featured incredbile intensity. I suspect guys like Connelly will have made bigger names for themselves.

The interlacing styles of Arez v Makowski was amongst the top curatorial/booking efforts of the evening. The lay out or flow of matches was maybe the best play of all.

I was hoping TK might see Priest v Slim J, and run it back on the ROH PPV. Here's to regular Schneider curated Supercard Independent shows? We could badly use one in Toronto. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I watched the second half of the show this morning. Arez has been a favorite of mine to watch for a while now on account of the unorthodox stuff he comes up with (even by lucha standards) and there was an interesting contrast with Makowski's more shooty/mma based offense. I wonder if Makowski was just worn out from competing in Bloodsport then high-tailing it over there but the match was shaping up to be one of the best on the card and seemed to end kind of abruptly.

That was Makowski's third match of the day. He was on SHPxLOL Presents Euphoria in the morning, then had to drive across town for Bloodsport, then drive out of state for DEAN~!!. 

Daniel Makabe was also on Euphoria, he wrestled Edith Surreal. It was really good, but one of those matches where you could tell the rematch would have been better. Only there probably won't be one, because he's retiring soon.

Speaking of hoping Tony Khan watches the show, there was a bit of a twitter campaign to get Makabe vs Danielson on Collision in Vancouver next month. If that's in any way under consideration, watching Makabe vs Thatcher would hopefully tip the scales.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

There were a number of guys on the card I wasn't familiar with, including Demus and Connelly but this match had an extra edge of viciousness to it. I don't know if there was any kind of feud leading up to it, but there was just this sense of urgency both guys were coming out with to try and put the other away. Nothing fancy or creative spots, just old fashioned pain on both ends.

I don’t know if it was visible on the stream, but before the bell Connelly tugged on the chain and it stiffed Demus in the nose. After that it felt like Demus knew what was up and he was ready to go to hell with Mad Dog. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

Adam Priest is built like a brick shithouse. I totally see the Noble/Dynamite Kid comparisons

Mike Modest also came to mind. And that guy that killed his family, of course. 

Funny, I stepped out for some reason (take a piss?) and came back in right as they were yelling about the fireball and was like "aw man I missed it" but apparently they did too? 😄

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Funny, I stepped out for some reason (take a piss?) and came back in right as they were yelling about the fireball and was like "aw man I missed it" but apparently they did too? 😄

This is a better angle of the Fireball than the broadcast version:

https://twitter.com/WrestleACTION1/status/1776069187678380257

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The PWI photographer, who was a larger gentleman, blocked my view of the fireball.