DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh, also the NFL did *not* ban the Tush Push.  

I'm sure they will once someone gets injured, but til then... 

well of course not, tush push helps the offense

Also approved - a team now needs to just win one instant replay challenge to get a third one (it used to be you had to win both to earn the third)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Also approved - a team now needs to just win one instant replay challenge to get a third one (it used to be you had to win both to earn the third)

If you're right when you challenge, your challenges should be unlimited. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

cold comfort when the bad officials and even worse rulebook can still bleed you dry of even three successful challenges in one quarter (hell, one drive)

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

If you're right when you challenge, your challenges should be unlimited. 

indeed.  really the whole thing is oriented backwards, teams should get to challenge early and often and should basically never be "out of challenges"

"BUT THAT WOULD TAKE FOREVER!"

Just run more split-screen commercials or do more live ad reads, don't tell me the NFL wouldn't love to have more commercials.

Maybe if they actually streamlined the rulebook instead of letting it be an ever-sprawling byzantine bunch of reactive and contrary counter-clauses hinging on micro-minutae that's beyond the capacity of the human eye to legislate, there wouldn't be 30 calls a game that need challenging.

• Like 4

So the NFL approved the kickoff style that the XFL used last year. Honestly I'm surprised, it feels like the most significant on-field change they've made in quite awhile and will take fans some time to get used to. Its not complicated in the grand scheme of things, just very different. I just hope the commentators understand it, nothing worse then when people explaining the game on the field don't know the rules.

I'm going to bring the Sauce Gardner thing to a different thread, but I just saw this about what the changes to the kickoff rule mean:

"While this rule likely means the death of the onside kick, there is a rule allowing onside kicks to be attempted in the fourth quarter. A team trailing in the fourth quarter is allowed to attempt one, though they have to announce their intentions before the play. The current onside kick rules apply from that point forward."

Actually, that gives me another pause. it will be even more impossible to recover an onside kick if the other team is allowed to put all even players within 10-15 yards of the kicking line. Does that mean you can "SAY" you're going for an onside kick and then kick it deep?

On 3/25/2024 at 11:40 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh, also the NFL did *not* ban the Tush Push.  

I'm sure they will once someone gets injured, but til then... 

Well, the other problem is without Kelce playing Center, the play's not going to work near as well as it did.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

Somewhere Adam Silver is wondering what the fuck did they do to piss off Roger Goddell .  The Christmas day was really their own spotlight day except for playoffs.  

And it doesn't seem like anybody wants an NFL game that day except the NFL.

• Like 1

Regarding the Christmas Games

Since Christmas is Wednesday - Goodell said that teams playing in the Christmas games will all play the Saturday before thus, in the NFL's mind, is the same preparation as playing Sunday then Thursday

The other schedule thing announced is that the Eagles game in Brazil will be on the Friday of Week 1 and will air exclusively on Peacock so plenty of time to recycle all the bitching from this previous year's playoff game

Other rule changes not mentioned already

• Trade deadline has been moved back a week. Will now take place after Week 9.
  • Replay can now be used to overturn a ruling that a quarterback was down or out of bounds before throwing a pass.
  • Replay can now be used to determine whether the game clock expired before the ball was snapped.
  • And the "fun" replay one - The replay assistant will now be allowed to correct "objectively" incorrect calls for intentional grounding and roughing the passer.
  • Teams now have an unlimited number of designated for return transactions in the postseason. (Bold is for emphasis)
  • Emergency third quarterbacks, who are available to play in case the starter and the backup are ejected or injured, can now be elevated from both the 53-man roster and the practice squad. (Last season, they had to be on the the 53-man roster)
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

• And the "fun" replay one - The replay assistant will now be allowed to correct "objectively" incorrect calls for intentional grounding and roughing the passer.

Invest in tinfoil futures as thousands of fans reinforce their hats for this one

• Haha 1

Vontae Davis has passed away at the age of 35

He was found unresponsive at a home belonging to his Grandmother

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Vontae Davis has passed away at the age of 35

He was found unresponsive at a home belonging to his Grandmother

If this plays out the way I think it will...  

I'll just say, him retiring in the middle of a game will suddenly seem a LOT less funny.  😕 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1