DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

The Giants are expecting Darren Waller to retire before training camp. As if they need to lose more talent on offense.  The story behind this is strange as fuck and Daren attempt at singing  really didn't help

As a Giants fan I’ll ask this. What talent? He wasn’t any good last year, he hasn’t been good in multiple seasons, and he seems to have serious brain related issues. I’m also saying that last part as a person that’s had five documented concussions in my own life time (which is nine years longer than his and I’ve never played football whether in elementary or high school). That “song” he released felt like something Antonio Brown would’ve done.

The Chiefs cancelled their OTA today as one of their players experienced a severe medical episode

The player - reported to be BJ Thompson - had a seizure and went into cardiac arrest. He is now in stable condition at a local hospital

• Sad 1

Aaron Rodgers had an inexcused absence from minicamp yesterday.

Robert Saleh said Rodgers "had a event that was very important to him."  

Oh the amount of lifting those two words are doing.... 

My one hope for this year is that Aaron Rodgers plays all year and is just ass awful. Not injured or sick, just plays every game and plays like shit. The Bills can do whatever they decide to do but Aaron Rodgers farting his way through his last year and tanking the Jets in the process would be fun.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

My one hope for this year is that Aaron Rodgers plays all year and is just ass awful. Not injured or sick, just plays every game and plays like shit. The Bills can do whatever they decide to do but Aaron Rodgers farting his way through his last year and tanking the Jets in the process would be fun.

This is the kind of platform I can get behind.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am willing to bet that Rodgers tells people what this "important event' is because he  can't help himself and actually thinks that it is more important than going to training camp.  

Edited by hammerva

24 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am willing to bet that Rodgers tells people what this "important event' is because he  can't help himself and actually thinks that it is more important than going to training camp.  

Took about 2-3 months longer than I expected, but the "NY Sports Media Turn" has begun:

He'd better hope he passes for 5000 yards and 50 TD's (and wins 12+) because otherwise...  oh this is gonna get fun.  

• Haha 4

Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack both had some interesting comments in praising Jim Harbaugh. 

A lot of stuff that reads "we love Harbaugh and the way he does things" with heavily implied "unlike that fucking idiot that was our last coach" just barely left unsaid.

• Like 2

Seattle continues to have the weirdest QB room

They have signed PJ Walker to join Geno Smith and Sam Howell

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2024 at 4:41 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack both had some interesting comments in praising Jim Harbaugh. 

A lot of stuff that reads "we love Harbaugh and the way he does things" with heavily implied "unlike that fucking idiot that was our last coach" just barely left unsaid.

Give it to about week 10 and they will change their tune

Posted (edited)

I saw a suggestion being credited to Joe Burrow about the inevitable 18 game season that's pretty genius. If you add in that extra game you're gonna have to give everyone a second bye week. Why not put the whole league on a bye at the same time around week 10 or 11 and do the Pro Bowl games during that week.

Since it's all skill drills and no actual game now, injury isn't as much of a concern. Everyone that's healthy can participate. It shifts the league year in a way where The Super Bowl would always be the Sunday before president's day. Meaning almost everyone gets the day off the Monday after the super bowl.

Everyone getting a break in the middle of the season makes sense. More people would probably tune into the Pro Bowl with all the big stars there. Seems like all upside with this plan. 18 games, 20 week season. Mid season all star festivities. Day off after The Super Bowl. Win, win, win.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I saw a suggestion being credited to Joe Burrow about the inevitable 18 game season that's pretty genius. If you add in that extra game you're gonna have to give everyone a second bye week. Why not put the whole league on a bye at the same time around week 10 or 11 and do the Pro Bowl games during that week.

Since it's all skill drills and no actual game now, injury isn't as much of a concern. Everyone that's healthy can participate. It shifts the league year in a way where The Super Bowl would always be the Sunday before president's day. Meaning almost everyone gets the day off the Monday after the super bowl.

Everyone getting a break in the middle of the season makes sense. More people would probably tune into the Pro Bowl with all the big stars there. Seems like all upside with this plan. 18 games, 20 week season. Mid season all star festivities. Day off after The Super Bowl. Win, win, win.

I think that's a terrible idea.  Yes, it would draw more eyeballs than the current setup but I can't see the players liking it.

• Like 1

I think they'd be better off going with most of that but scrapping the pro bowl part. Either leave it where it is or just get rid of it completely.

• Like 2

Well they're not going to give everyone a bye week at the same time in the middle of the season with nothing to put on TV for that week. So doing the same league wide bye week is pretty much dependent on slotting the all star festivities in that week. The idea kinda falls apart without it.

The alternative is them still giving out two bye weeks but randomizing the second byes like the first byes. NFLPA isn't going to agree to that extra game without an extra bye week. So that's gonna be a necessary component. Which is going to make scheduling that much more difficult to juggle / more room to complain about teams getting more rest than others / etc. Example: Team A has both byes in the first 13 weeks, Team B gets 2 byes in the last 8 weeks and such.

I thought this was a pretty solid way to shift everything around and tweak things. Especially since the day after The Super Bowl would always be a national holiday.

7 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Well they're not going to give everyone a bye week at the same time in the middle of the season with nothing to put on TV for that week. So doing the same league wide bye week is pretty much dependent on slotting the all star festivities in that week. The idea kinda falls apart without it.

The alternative is them still giving out two bye weeks but randomizing the second byes like the first byes. NFLPA isn't going to agree to that extra game without an extra bye week. So that's gonna be a necessary component. Which is going to make scheduling that much more difficult to juggle / more room to complain about teams getting more rest than others / etc. Example: Team A has both byes in the first 13 weeks, Team B gets 2 byes in the last 8 weeks and such.

I thought this was a pretty solid way to shift everything around and tweak things. Especially since the day after The Super Bowl would always be a national holiday.

Yeah but then you have to ask the best players in the league to spend their second bye week doing pro bowl shit instead of recovering. That feels like a very hard sell.

• Like 3

Joey B isn't too far off, two bye weeks is a must but no one gives a shit about a skills pro bowl, just let the players chill during both of their bye weeks. Rest up, see families. Having all teams off the same work could work if done carefully (TV rights would still get the same number of games but how they do ads may have to be tweaked) as it would give them a chance to "hype up" the "first games" of the second half of the season. But that seems far more extreme or different than what the NFL would do so just having two staggered bye weeks would be fine.

• Like 1