DVDVR Message Board

2024 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

It was one of those rare moments where I nearly hated the movie and thought it was the most base horseshit, but also thought Phoenix’s performance was really good.

I highly doubt I’ll give the sequel the time of day.

Oh I'm way the fuck more interested in the sequel. Jukebox musical sequel to a serious drama that wasn't a musical, with Lady Gaga the second lead? This has high trainwreck potential, but it also could end up being something special. Basically I can see it being a 1/5 or a 4.5/5 but I can't imagine it's gonna be a 2.5-3/5 like the first one was.

• Like 2

It’s Phillips and Phoenix trying to entertain themselves while taking career-best salaries they couldn’t turn down. I think they figured worst case scenario is it bombs and no one bothers them about doing another sequel. 

• Like 1

Per Deadline - Quentin Tarantino has dropped The Movie Critic as being his last film

As for The Movie Critic, originally planned to be his 10th and final film, Tarantino has simply had a change of heart and Deadline hears he will not be moving forward with the project. Sources close to the director said he changed his mind and is going back to the drawing board to figure out what that final movie will be.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/quentin-tarantino-final-film-wont-be-the-movie-critic-scrapped-1235888577/

Transformers One

TRANSFORMERS ONE is the untold origin story of Optimus Prime and Megatron, better known as sworn enemies, but once were friends bonded like brothers who changed the fate of Cybertron forever. In the first-ever fully CG-animated Transformers movie, TRANSFORMERS ONE features a star-studded voice cast, including Chris Hemsworth, Brian Tyree Henry, Scarlett Johansson, Keegan-Michael Key, Steve Buscemi with Laurence Fishburne and Jon Hamm.

• Like 2

So, before one becomes (depending on continuity) The most badass and selfless biggest damn hero in the universe/second most ineffectual floundering leader whose hubris destroys several planets and the other becomes (depending on continuity) the most tunnel visioned guy who enables the universe's greatest monsters, and may be one himself, to do their worst/a misunderstood and misintnetioned guy that'll realize the folly of his ways and turn good and possibly heroically sacrifice himself a million years later, they'll both be best buddies in an action comedy that shows the true meaning of friendship, before a disagreement on how to run the planet they just saved turns it into a wastland after a civil war that lasts millions of years and costs billions of lives.

I'm thinking the tone is off, but hey, it's animated Transformers so FUCK YEAH!

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Transformers One

Trailer felt like Taika Waikititi doing a Transformers movie. I mean that's slightly better than Michael Bay doing Transformers. The jokes in the trailer felt like jokes I've seen before.

We just need Christopher Nolan to make a Transformers movie now. Or Wes Anderson.

• Like 1

Another trailer for Hit Man which as a reminder is the next Richard Linklater

Just a FYI, this trailer shows A LOT of the movie

I am gonna put this here thought technically maybe belongs in Horror

Trap

Written and Directed by M. Night Shayamalan

Josh Hartnett, Ariel Donoghue, Saleka Shyamalan, Hayley Mills and Allison Pill.

Couple of things

1) Trailer seems to give away a lot... or at least wants you to think that it gives away a lot

2) Really comes across as M. Night just doing a movie to boost his daughter's singing career

On 4/14/2024 at 4:48 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Oh I'm way the fuck more interested in the sequel. Jukebox musical sequel to a serious drama that wasn't a musical, with Lady Gaga the second lead? This has high trainwreck potential, but it also could end up being something special. Basically I can see it being a 1/5 or a 4.5/5 but I can't imagine it's gonna be a 2.5-3/5 like the first one was.

I'll be seeing it cause I love Gaga, but had been wondering if I should make a point to see all of the first one first. 

"We're sorry, but we can't show you (insert Michael Bay movie or rom com)"

moments later

"PLEASE ENGAGE EMERGENCY PROCEDURES THIS BOEING IS MALFUNCTIONING"

Or, maybe, just maybe, Keanu gets to fight with Snakes on a Plane

That movie is funny as I haven't been on a flight with a working entertainment system in years.  I just always watch stuff I download on my tablet.

Atlas

Director: Brad Peyton (Rampage, San Andreas)

Jennifer Lopez

Simu Liu, Sterling K Brown and Mark Strong are all clearly just get cameos because they are not mentioned by name in the trailer or the official writeups

Blink Twice

Directed by Zoe Kravitz

It is billed as starring Naomi Ackie and Channing Tatum but as you can see, a lot more names in it than that

FKA Pussy Island

On 4/22/2024 at 1:59 PM, Raziel said:

That movie is funny as I haven't been on a flight with a working entertainment system in years.  I just always watch stuff I download on my tablet.

What the hell airlines are you flying on?

In "God, please let this never be recorded on a frame of film" news:

Aaron Sorkin is writing a movie about January 6th.  It's being described as a pseudo-sequel to The Social Network.  

• Sad 1

Look, I know this comment is utterly ridiculous coming from seeing that trailer... but it looks Too CGI.  

Like, everything is off by a shade of lighting or uncanniness.  Nothing blends the way it would in real life.  

And it will obviously make a billion dollars.  😕 

• Like 1