DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

I got bored with MK1 relatively fast compared to 11. If you're not a lab monkey there's just nothing to do in single player by comparison. Online died down to the same 3000 people that ruin every fighting game within the first month.

A studio of that size launching a multiplayer title with no cross platform in 2023 is just insane.

Pentiment rules. Obsidian games are at their best when they are very talky. This game is very, very talky. It's also gorgeous. 10/10. 

• Like 2

So yeah, Helldivers 2. The jump in how missions feel when the difficulty goes from Medium to Challenging moves the game from "this is okay I guess" into "holy fuck this rules". That concludes my day 1 experience. I'm level 5, I stink, but this game is fun. Playing solo sucks but luckily I haven't hit any toxic idiots in random matchmaking yet.

• Like 1

Do we want a thread for Steam code giveaways for Humble Bundle and other similar things? Would anyone post there? Is there a better way to do it? I have a few I'd like to toss out there for shit I already own, and it probably shouldn't go in this thread.

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’ve had that downloaded forever but never started it. Maybe after if I finish the midnight suns dlc.

If you're a history, literature, or art nerd, definitely play it. It's still a compelling game even if you're not because of the central story hook, but being into one, two, or all three of those things like I am elevates it to "must-play," IMO. 

Return to Grace is a nice little walking simulator/“puzzle”/narrative game that explores the morality of AI and the good versus bad it could cause. Really enjoyable, little 2-3 hour game.

On 2/24/2024 at 11:32 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Do we want a thread for Steam code giveaways for Humble Bundle and other similar things? Would anyone post there? Is there a better way to do it? I have a few I'd like to toss out there for shit I already own, and it probably shouldn't go in this thread.

There already is a thread for you to put that stuff

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am sure this is sustainable

This is at the point of satire. They are already saying nothing's coming out for a while, THEN they shutter and slash the very Game Dev Studios they need to make anything. What the fuck?

Well, it's end of Quarter, need the P&L reduction to bump that price up for the results.

Continued growth is unsustainable but Executives don't give a shit because they want another couple hundred thousand a quarter.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and in a follow up tweet - Schreier said that Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Guerrilla are all being hit

Has Naughty Dog considered making popular games? /s

Sony layoffs are no surprise if you paid attention to the last earning call.  Sony’s gaming division has 123 million people logging into PlayStation Network and is reporting record revenue, but probability is as low as it’s been in at least a decade.  Sony’s operating profit - basically, the amount of profit earned before taxes & interest - was 6 percent.  Sony Interactive Entertainment/PlayStation Studios usually has an op around 12 percent.  Several analysts thought Sony.’s operating profit would be closer to 20%.  Nope.  It’s getting damn expensive to make AA & AAA games and the longer your game is in development, the longer you have to wait to start making your investment back,

Additionally, the incoming president/ceo of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Hiroki Totoki, has made several subtle comments about SIE needing to streamline and become more efficient. I read his statement about the last earnings report and thought he was subtly hinting Jim Ryan wasn’t being frugal enough.

No business grows forever.  Growth and shrinkage are generally cyclical.  Personally, I feel like the industry peaked creatively 10 years ago or more and we’re just now seeing the fallout from that.  Games are getting prettier and more complex, not necessarily better.  It seems fairly obvious that development costs and the time it takes to developed a finished product are getting out of hand.  My professional self is also kinda put off by the idea that want bankrolled for five years or more without minimal oversight, then don’t expect to shoulder the blame if the finished product is a bad game that doesn’t sell.  A lot can happen in the 5+ years you’re working on a game.  The Rocksteady Studios that finished Suicide Squad wasn’t the same studio that made the Arkham Games, or even the same studio that started work on Suicide Squad.  When the going got tough, the studio’s founders left the company.  A lot of the key staff followed them when their contracts expired.  lol, that’s another argument against very long development cycles.

Also doesn’t help that development costs are 10-30 times (or more) what they were years ago, but the price of a game hasn’t rises in 40 years or whatever.  We should probably be paying $100 for Triple A titles by now.  But, yeah, studios are gouging us when they ask for a $5 price increase.

8 minutes ago, Villanova Grad said:

Sony layoffs are no surprise if you paid attention to the last earning call.  Sony’s gaming division has 123 million people logging into PlayStation Network and is reporting record revenue, but probability is as low as it’s been in at least a decade.  Sony’s operating profit - basically, the amount of profit earned before taxes & interest - was 6 percent.  Sony Interactive Entertainment/PlayStation Studios usually has an op around 12 percent.  Several analysts thought Sony.’s operating profit would be closer to 20%.  Nope.  It’s getting damn expensive to make AA & AAA games and the longer your game is in development, the longer you have to wait to start making your investment back,

Additionally, the incoming president/ceo of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Hiroki Totoki, has made several subtle comments about SIE needing to streamline and become more efficient. I read his statement about the last earnings report and thought he was subtly hinting Jim Ryan wasn’t being frugal enough.

No business grows forever.  Growth and shrinkage are generally cyclical.  Personally, I feel like the industry peaked creatively 10 years ago or more and we’re just now seeing the fallout from that.  Games are getting prettier and more complex, not necessarily better.  It seems fairly obvious that development costs and the time it takes to developed a finished product are getting out of hand.  My professional self is also kinda put off by the idea that want bankrolled for five years or more without minimal oversight, then don’t expect to shoulder the blame if the finished product is a bad game that doesn’t sell.  A lot can happen in the 5+ years you’re working on a game.  The Rocksteady Studios that finished Suicide Squad wasn’t the same studio that made the Arkham Games, or even the same studio that started work on Suicide Squad.  When the going got tough, the studio’s founders left the company.  A lot of the key staff followed them when their contracts expired.  lol, that’s another argument against very long development cycles.

Also doesn’t help that development costs are 10-30 times (or more) what they were years ago, but the price of a game hasn’t rises in 40 years or whatever.  We should probably be paying $100 for Triple A titles by now.  But, yeah, studios are gouging us when they ask for a $5 price increase.

Yeah, we're going to have a scenario where we are paying $100+ for a single title AND there won't be physical copies. Based on the staff cuts and low operating profit, I think we're going to see Microsoft buying PlayStation + all their studios in the next few years. PlayStation will still make PlayStations, but it'll be under Microsoft's direction. PSN and Xbox Marketplace will still be there....but going into the same bucket at Microsoft. I've been saying that for awhile but it's hard not to read the tea leaves and seeing it happen.

The Last of Us Part III will be the last PlayStation Studios published game.

Edited by Andrew POE!

My friend is a design manager at Insomniac and was the design manager on Spider-Man 2 and is having a real hard time seeing a lot of very talented people that worked on his team that made that game now be gone. No, hey, your last day is 30 or 60 days from now or anything like that. Just, all of you, the door is to your right, leave your badge on your way out. I wanted to ask him what their path forward is at this point, but I figure I'll wait a little bit.

• Sad 3

Not sure if anyone played Mario Maker 1 on WiiU or 3DS but they announced awhile back that the servers were shutting down April 8th This led to a team ( originally pretty small but the discord has blown up to 8.5k members lately) trying to beat every level that was uncleared in the game. It's been an awesome journey to watch and we're down to roughly 430 levels left with a little more than a moth to beat them all. 

Here's a video that blew up pretty big from one of the members when the mm1 grind just restarted. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GydctP3DfW0

Edit : Him saying there are still easy levels is no longer true. Everything left now is really difficult and only for experienced mm players. 

Edited by Setsuna
typo