DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/1 - 1/7/2024 - The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives

It looks like the Rock's muscles are stiff, tired, and barely attached to the rest of his body, I'm not sure he can take on the kind of epic Mania main event that I think the Roman angle is leading to. Maybe you could hide him in a triple threat if Roman wins again but if he's going to lose I think they have to do it one on one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The other part is that I believe the UFL starts a week or two after WM.   At this point that is way more important to him then a WM match.   I know that he is the ultimate hard worker and can probably think he can do both but yeah I don't see it

8 minutes ago, Kang said:

Wouldn't be surprised Rock Vs Roman becomes a triple threat.  With Cody in it.

To put this gently, literally no one outside of the wrestling bubble knows who Cody Rhodes is.   

Roman has at least had some mainstream exposure being in one of the F&F movies and been on more than a few talk shows.  

You don't run Rock vs. Roman with any other filler.    Cody can wait. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Rocky might.   He's still got movies to sell. 

I could see him taking a giant payoff and then giving part of it to charity for the PR.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Do you need to Rock v Roman in front of the crowd or could you get away with doing a pre-taped Cinematic Match? 

If people pay for tickets for an event with it advertised - no chance. Imagine the reaction.

Rock was bad in those Cena matches a decade ago. I dread how bad a match with Roman at this point would be unless they go Lesnar vs Goldberg bang and smash finisher-fest for 6 minutes. Personally I hope they stay the path with Cody but there's no accounting for taste in board rooms.

4 hours ago, Steventon said:

Could they do Cody vs Roman Night 1 and Rock vs Roman non-title Night 2? Seems unlikely. Cody getting cucked and going back to AEW would be a hell of a thing.

Could you imagine Punk’s reaction if after all this, he still didn’t get to main event Mania because of Rock?

• Haha 3

My issue with them running Rock/Roman at Mania is it's in Philly.  You know Rock can't work a Main match right now (shit, he was blown up after just last night).  He ain't getting that cardio up.  I know we generally don't care about crowds shitting on matches live because the tickets sold, but the crowd turned on Rock/Cena in Jersey, I don't think they're hanging for Rock/Roman in Philly.

• Thanks 1

I was kind of surprised at how blown up he appeared to be from a promo segment. It doesn't give a warm fuzzy feeling about a full match. I'd hope the company is smart enough to see this in advance and plan accordingly. Do you think the crowd will be okay with a Goldberg/Brock style match? I'd guess that will depend a lot on the rest of the card.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Do you think Phil would want to main event if he knew he was not winning the belt or would he prefer going over but being the semi main either nigh?

Just main eventing was always his thing before, he said he tried pitching WM 29 to be a three way dance with Cena and Rock even if he got eliminated 5 minutes in just to have that main event.  Though in more recent years he's said he felt him and Taker was the real main event that night.  My guess is Punk/Rollins headlines night 1 either way.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I could see them appearing live in front of the crowd earlier in the card or on Night 1 and when it comes time for the actual match, they go the cinematic route. 

As long as when we get to the cinematic part Rock is in full Black Adam mode and Roman is in full Aquaman getup.

Watching Cody fans freak out elsewhere on the net has been amusing though. Time for Death of Superman part two.  

I think Punk is the one exception where I could buy the concept of him winning the Rumble and choosing to face Seth instead of Roman because I mean, it's CM Punk, he's not facing the less prestigious champion due to being an idiot or secret coward, it's just that he makes decisions in his own way

Which means the whole task of who faces Roman at WM is determined in Australia or whenever.

Of course the thing I'll mention is that Roman's reign probably gets ended by someone who is comparatively brief. Fat pope, thin pope.

I'm not sure if there's a logical way to split the WWE and Universal titles so that doesn't make someone look like an idiot for not going for both belts. The same people control both belts so there's not really a logical way to split them so that Cody ends the 2 year reign and Roman keeps the Universal title until he passes Hogan.

Unless we do a "contract loophole" screwjob where we find out post-switch that Cody only won the WWE title and the Universal title wasn't on the line.

Yeah, Priest is good but with so many high profile returns lately he feels a little less than right now. Maybe cash in on Punk after he wins the title? I could see Punk vs Judgement Day being fun

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To put this gently, literally no one outside of the wrestling bubble knows who Cody Rhodes is.   

Roman has at least had some mainstream exposure being in one of the F&F movies and been on more than a few talk shows.  

You don't run Rock vs. Roman with any other filler.    Cody can wait. 

GO BIG Show fans, weep. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm still surprised people keep assuming Priest actually cashes in. I like him, but he and Finn are the least over members of Judgement Day. Its always felt like Priest won the briefcase to give the group a little extra ammo but would ultimately drop it to Cody or someone else. I'd be happy for Priest if he actually cashed in and won, but it would make little sense with so many other guys who are more over and feel like bigger stars on Raw.

"Heyman can spend a couple of weeks cutting promos against Aldi's," This is an amazing autocorrect. Now I want Heyman standing by the carts cutting a promo and someone interrupts him asking if they can have a quarter for the carts.

As far as Rock/Roman, like others have said, Rock wasn't great 10+ years ago and time won't make it better. And him huffing and puffing after that spinebuster/people's elbow is not a good sign either. I don't even think he can go for a "throw bombs" match since his moveset isn't that compared to Goldberg.

The rumors say that the Australian tourism board which paid for the show wanted Rock and WWE let them know it would cost extra so maybe they coughed up the cash. I don't think you can run Rock at Mania and not have it be a mess. Guess we'll see what happens.

Having caught Raw this morning since I was busy last night, the show was good and hopefully Giovani is feeling better.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2