DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023/24 - WEEK SEVENTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

Well god damn....  It's a battle for the AFC #1 seed as Baltimore hosts.... 

Okay look, honest injun... I am so fucking nervous about this game you would not believe it.  Miami's got a shot at the #1 seed.  But hey, here we are ...  Take a moment and smell the roses, Dolfan.  

LFG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Packers are suspending Jaire Alexander for 1 game for his little stunt last weekend where he went out with the team captains for the coin toss. 

That's just one part of the problem.

Here is the greatest explanation ever:

Ahead of last Sunday's coin toss, Alexander joined the Packers' three game captains — Aaron Jones, Quay Walker and Eric Wilson — at midfield and called tails, winning the toss. The cornerback then told referee Alex Kemp that he wanted to be on defense. Kemp clarified by asking if he meant defer, to which Alexander said yes.

"I said, 'I want our defense to be out there,' and they all looked at me like I was crazy," Alexander said afterward. "I'm like, I mean, it's pretty simple what I said, like I want the defense to be out there. They like, 'You mean defer?' and I'm like, 'Yeah, I guess.'"

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

Russ getting flowers for continuing to do the job the Broncos are currently paying him to do is a strange take. I had no idea I only have to work hard at my job today if my bosses promise to keep paying me a few years from now.

20 years ago, he would have been a professional.  Now he’s a unicorn.  Not a change for the better.

• Like 3

If I had to pick, I'm on Team Russ in this situation. What you two are describing are slightly different situations. Sure my job can fire me whenever they want. But I think a good percentage of people if their boss came up to them and said "hey, no matter how good of a job you do, we are firing you in three months" may not work quite as hard. Its just demoralizing and discouraging for the worker. In IT I work with a lot of contactors with set end dates and they generally don't care as much or go as hard as the FTEs do, its just human nature.

That being said, of course Russ continuing to play and be motivated should be the expectation. But it couldn't have been easy working under a coach that clearly doesn't want you, and already told you that you are losing your job as soon as realistic. NFL players have been whiny divas since at least the 1980s so that wouldn't have gone over well in any modern era.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing that the wording of the "cut me so I don't get paid for failing a physical" clause is worded in a way that prevents Russ from hitting himself in the tibia with a hammer until he can't pass a physical

I believe it has to be a football related injury that occurs either at the team facility or during practice or a game.

Insane, yet somehow plausible scenario...

Cleveland beats Cincinnati next week.  

Baltimore loses to both Miami and Pittsburgh.

Miami loses to Buffalo....

Guess who gets the #1 seed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

As we start here, I'll note that Woody Johnson has said that both Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas's jobs are safe and will return in 2024. 

Robert Saleh has job security roughly similar to that of a guild leader in an Elder Scrolls game.