DVDVR Message Board

WORLDS END - 12/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Dog said:

Tony talking a lot about how the Continental Classic and sports-based presentation have boosted ratings lately, even against the NFL. Hoping he takes that to heart.

The Continental Classic turned me from a Negative Nancy to a Positive Paul. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

welp, bye Andrade. Have fun in WWE.

There’s plenty to knock Tony for, but he handled this well in public. Didn’t knock him, didn’t humiliate him, didn’t bury him while he was very obviously on the way out. Put him over at the presser without prompt. By promoter standards, fairly classy.

Now onto what he could have had

Spoiler

F5JCPfIXIAA7mYd?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 4

I started in with Team Jericho v Starks/Hobbs reunion which felt a bit flat. And clumsy. I bowed out with pals after a couple minutes of Julia v Abadon. I did catch the extremely weak looking moonsault finish. Both of these two should be working ROH every week. Good solid fun was had with Christian v Copeland. Whole heartedly loved the post match angle and subsequent Christian title return. Eddie Kingston v Moxley was excellent. As one would expect. So happy Eddie didn't find himself injured after that dive. Loved the follow thru from the dive. I also really liked the finish. It came suddenly, and felt like somebody effectively going over. Heartwarming stuff in the post match. I felt the 'Shoot Love'! I found myself distracted during the MJF v Samoa Joe bout, but mostly enjoyed what I saw. This crowd seemed exhausted throughout much of this latter portion of the show. I was shocked by the Kokina Clutch finish, but not unhappy. The Devil reveal was logical and competently presented. All things considered I'm great with that. I'm also overjoyed that we can now kinda-sorta move on. That first portion isn't receiving such strong reviews. I'm happy to have my expectations in check.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

They had hard times after that peak. But now that Joe is champ I’m sure they are again worthy of QUAKE BY THE LAKE

Best part of that show were the little custom graphics on Fite during the ad breaks. Hey it's that rascal Danhausen, what's he doing on a boat, way out on that lake, will he stop, probably not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They should do a bit where a heel tag team (Bear Country) are making fun of a natural disaster, and then the Hurricane comes out to confront them, gets beaten down, and then a bluster of pro wrestling storms come out (Lonce, James, Tim) unsuccessfully leading to Typhoonfred Ottman turning the tide. Then the entire locker room empties and they pay tribute to the original Quake by the Lake and Tony Khan gives John Tenta's family a sweet expensive but thoughtful gift, and then Chris Jericho (NDA investigation pending) leads everyone in a singalong of Earthquake's entrance music and Judas.

• Like 3

Me posting in September: "Somebody hurry up and book Eddie to win another championship so he can kinda sorta have his own version of the Triple Crown."

To whoever from AEW reads the board: thank you for A) doing this, and B) helping me realize that my house is getting pretty dusty. After I read MJF's article on The Player's Tribune this week, I went back and re-read Eddie's. This journey Kingston has been on these past few years might be one of my all-time favorite things in wrestling. Crazy thing is I never followed Eddie on the indies, but he's done a great job at getting me invested after debuting in AEW. Pulling from the article he wrote, it's also crazy that he was down-and-out and so close to quitting the business, but is now where he is. Within a little over the last year's time, he's wrestled Jun Akiyama, Minoru Suzuki, competed in the G1 + wrestled in Korakuen, met Toshiaki Kawada, and now has a Triple Crown. He's living a puroresu dream and I'm happy for his success and glad that we get to see it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Cole was the one reveal I didn't want. Not sure what the point of all this masks, mystery, and hiding stuff was from all the others who had always hated MJF anyways or why any of this makes sense but whatever works. RIP Better Than You Bay Bay, my favorite angle of '23. Cole and MJF not turning on each other when everyone expected them to was the best while it lasted. Feels like when Cole came back the narrative was that he had to be babyface, he was so likeable, coming back from the injury, all access, etc and then it barely even lasted.

Was absolutely shocked that Joe just won the title pretty much clean like that, but great to see it for Joe.  Kingston/Moxley was amazing as expected.

Copeland/Christian was fun, I predicted the ultimate outcome as soon as Killswitch won the battle royal as they kept emphasizing the "anytime, anywhere" MITB aspect.  Surprised to see Sammy pin Starks so clean too. 

Really liked Julia/Abadon, finish wasn't the best but I thought they both did very well for getting a 12 min spot on PPV like that.  Also thought Miro/Andrade was very good, especially being Andrade's farewell seemed to still go all out. 

Toni/Riho was pretty good as well. and then Timeless on the media scrum was absolutely fantastic, hilarious stuff. 

• Like 1

I'm shocked there are people who thought the reveal today should have been literally anybody but Cole. There was nobody else that could possibly actually pay this off in any way that made any god damned sense. The problem with this "Mastermind Reveal" angles that makes them so impossible to use in general is because you can't really use them to elevate someone. If it's just some random midcarder, who cares? It just comes across as a giant letdown and doesn't get over. The payoff could only be 2 things: A legitimately big name that has never worked with the company before (And unless you wanted this to be Dolph Ziggler or Mustafa Ali, that wasn't going to happen) or someone that is already involved in the storyline that would draw heat for the heel turn. It was always going to be Adam Cole, it was always the obvious decision. The bright side is the payoff went down better then the Black Scorpion or Higher Power. 

My big problem remains with this angle still is the massive problem that I don't fucking understand why I'm supposed to be rooting for MJF. The dude has been booked as a straight up menace to the company since word go. His actions never really changed, he still tries to cheat incredibly frequently, and not even really in the fun Eddie Guerrero way to cheat. But he's a face now just because he became friends with another guy whose been a prick of a heel almost his entire tenure with the company? I never gave a fuck about their friendship that spawned in like 3 weeks. Guess I'm just hte old cranky man on this one. Really didn't help that this Devil nonsense basically buried one of my favorite wrestlers title attempt. 

• Like 6

I just figured Cole shouldn't be traveling so they had to pivot.  I have some pretty strong thoughts about what Cole has to do in order to make this work (No storytime, no boom, no baby, no cool heel trappings that he hides behind. The fans love those things; take them away from them. Oh, and no Panama Sunrise, what being the worst, most contrived move in the company, especially if he wants to walk in twenty years given what just happened to his ankle).

As for how we should feel about Max, I tried to tackle that in my write up of the Jay White match:

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2023/11/aew-five-fingers-of-death-and-friends.html?m=1

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

Pretty boring reveal for the devil angle tbh, doesn’t make any sense but at least they’re done with it. Doesn’t look like the strongest group either (1 guy is out indefinitely, 3 guys presented as total losers, and 1 guy who’s there because they don’t know how to book him). Onwards and upwards in 2024!

• Like 2