DVDVR Message Board

2024 AWARDS SEASON

RIPPA

okay, Barbie did win an Oscar (for a category where they had 2 of the 5 nominees), and the Ken performance was probably the "we're probably not winning so let's go allout anyways"

It wasn't quite to the point of SCTV winning an Emmy because they had 4 of the 5 nominations

Christopher Nolan won for Best Director even though Justine Triet, Yorgos Lanthimos and Jonathan Glazer are right there. (I haven't seen Killers of the Flower Moon to have an opinion about it)

The Zone of Interest scared the shit outta me and I'm still thinking about the movie even after watching it. Jonathan Glazer should have won. The only thing I remember about Oppenheimer is how confused I was about everything going on and how I wonder how there were two women that looked exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I hate the former winners intros, instead of clips gimmick. . .  

i generally agree, but that best male actor lineup was awesome. i want those dudes to be my crew

Oppenheimer wins Best Picture. All the other movies in the field were robbed. 😉 To borrow a phrase from Steve Earle, I'll stand on Christopher Nolan's coffee table in my cowboy boots to say that The Zone of Interest, Barbie, Anatomy of a Fall, American Fiction, and The Holdovers were better movies.

Edited by Andrew POE!

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

They had it about an hour ago.

Might as well skipped it on TV.  I think I only managed to make out like, 6 people, but we sure saw the ballerinas and the Bocelli's, because the In Memoriam is all about that.

• Like 1

Some of my people online are saying it might be the last time we see Pacino? Not because of his fuckup, but because of his age? He doesn't look that bad in the photos. 

I'd say something about Lily Gladstone but you know, even when you can expect a token win, sometimes they don't even want to do that. So it's business as usual. There's never a point in giving a shit about any of this anyway (again, see other thread for Friedkin quote).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Academy Awards tonight. My predictions.

Best Picture: Oppenheimer.

Best Director: Christopher Nolan. Most invested in this one. If I had my way, this would be Nolan's third for Best Director.

Best Actor: Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer. Nervous that Oppenheimer wins most awards but the face of it doesn't. Can see Paul Giamatti for The Holdovers. Hope not.

Best Actress: Emma Stone, Poor Things. One of my favourite actresses ever. Love Emma Stone. Hope she beats Lily Gladstone for Killers of the Flower Moon.

Best Supporting Actor: Robert Downey Jr, Oppenheimer.

Best Supporting Actress: Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers.

Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse but wouldn't be surprised by The Boy and the Heron.

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Agree with all of the picks above, except Lily Gladstone is probably winning because a) she's fantastic, and b) Emma already has an Oscar. 

If and when you get a chance, your local arthouse theater may be doing a screening of the animated & live action shorts, which has actually given me insight this year:

Live Action Short:

SHOULD WIN -- Red, White, and Blue.  I've never heard a theater gasp the way this one did.  I won't say anything other than it's about a lady in Arkansas contemplating getting an abortion.

WILL WIN -- The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.  Wes Anderson gets his first(!) Oscar because... eh.  It's pretty, it's quirky, it's Wes Anderson.  The only thing I can see working against it is the fact that it was written by Roald Dahl (and fuck that guy). 

Animated Short:

SHOULD WIN -- Letter to a Pig.  Extremely poignant, incredibly timely, and incredibly animated. A story of what happens when vengeance takes over the heart and what it takes to break past a generational trauma.

WILL WIN -- War Is Over!   Look, it's fine.  I get the antiwar sentiment and it's going to win because "John Lennon", but it's got a clumsy story and isn't saying or doing anything new with the subject matter.   Honestly, among the 5 nominees, I had it as 5th... but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's winning.   

Thank you. I went 6/7. With hindsight I should have gone with The Boy and the Heron as Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse has a few things working against it. I almost went with Lily Gladstone for the reasons you gave but Emma Stone got the nod. So happy Christopher Nolan finally won an Academy Award for Best Director, he'd be on three for me. Glad Cillian Murphy didn't miss out. Unfortunately my local arthouse cinema has been closed for months due to concrete issues.

Edited by The Natural

Now that Christopher Nolan has won a Best Director Academy Award, next biggest name of living directors who is yet to win one is Quentin Tarantino. QT has two Best Original Screenplay wins.

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Might as well skipped it on TV.  I think I only managed to make out like, 6 people, but we sure saw the ballerinas and the Bocelli's, because the In Memoriam is all about that.

There’s always the TCM remembered video.

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

The eye chart at the end with the likes of Burt Young, Treat Williams, and Lance Reddick was really weak. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 11:33 AM, The Natural said:

Academy Awards tonight. My predictions.

Best Picture: Oppenheimer.

Best Director: Christopher Nolan. Most invested in this one. If I had my way, this would be Nolan's third for Best Director.

Best Actor: Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer. Nervous that Oppenheimer wins most awards but the face of it doesn't. Can see Paul Giamatti for The Holdovers. Hope not.

Best Actress: Emma Stone, Poor Things. One of my favourite actresses ever. Love Emma Stone. Hope she beats Lily Gladstone for Killers of the Flower Moon.

Best Supporting Actor: Robert Downey Jr, Oppenheimer.

Best Supporting Actress: Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers.

Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse but wouldn't be surprised by The Boy and the Heron.

Damn. Nailed it. If I decide to put money on next year's awards, I'm calling you first!

Pacino released a statement saying the Academy instructed him to not read the nominees out because they were worried about time, and said he understood and apologized. Their thinking was that everyone already knew who was nom'd from the video packages already. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Pacino released a statement saying the Academy instructed him to not read the nominees out because they were worried about time, and said he understood and apologized. Their thinking was that everyone already knew who was nom'd from the video packages already. 

I believe him, they didn’t read off the names of the nominees for Best Song either. I’m also assuming Pacino is at the level where they don’t ask him to come in the day before and rehearse.