DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/29 - 12/5/2023 - Continental Breakfast

Dolfan in NYC

TK as The Devil would be the worst possible thing that could happen. Listen Austin vs McMahon was one of the best stories of all time. McMahon is a God tier heel. But the end result of that run is he basically forever made WWE the default heel in all stories moving forward.

The repercussions are still felt today. Turning the owner heel turns the company heel. In a time where there's a little uneasiness about the product & the future that's the worst reveal possible. If TK was as great of a performer as Vince maybe there'd be short term gain. But that man should never be an on air character ever.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I really dug that little bit of world building with the announcers discussing all that. It reminded me of Disney parking lot-era Nitro, and just isn’t something WWE does. More of that please.

Seconded and well said. I'm the kind of person who finds that stuff to be endlessly interesting (even outside of a story perspective) so to have it peppered in here was very cool - like you said, it had a slight '96 flavor, like seeing into 'the truck' for the first time

• Like 2

Swerve doesn't work as The Devil to me because doing something covertly like that just seems out of character for him. He has no problem breaking into peoples' houses and attacking them or ominously threatening their kids, so if he wanted a piece of MJF he'd get directly in his face to do it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Swerve doesn't work as The Devil to me because doing something covertly like that just seems out of character for him. He has no problem breaking into peoples' houses and attacking them or ominously threatening their kids, so if he wanted a piece of MJF he'd get directly in his face to do it.

But Swerve is also a fan of horror and that comes in many forms.

• Like 1

And I have never wanted to strangle Meltzer more than when he went into old man mode and refused to even try to understand what Alvarez was saying about YTTV overruns, which have been a problem for awhile now. And then Meltzer said the exact thing Alvarez was saying should happen by building in a safety buffer/overrun for the YTTV DVR.

So please YTTV, just start recording 10 minutes extra for every episode of Dynamite. I don’t give a shit if it records the first few minutes of Young Sheldon or Modern Family or whatever the fuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Eddie Kingston may have fucked up giving up those titles. Facing Danielson after losing the first match is a tough position to be in.

I'm gonna make another hot take and say King wins that one. Bryan has been coming off like a super heel these days and Eddie is a super duper face all over. He is probably losing the belts but giving him a victory over Danielson will be the consolation prize. Danielson will be fine in losing of course, because unless he injures himself AGAIN, he's probably winning. 

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Dante looked good in his return, the injury shown from a different angle did NOT! Holy fuck!

Forgot about the injury, forgot about Dante actually, and even though Ex warned everyone right before they showed it... fuckin hell. How does a guy who got his foot completely turned around on his leg return not just that fast but at all?! Wrestlers are crazy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just realized the person they should try to bring in for the Sting farewell who isn't dead or really old.

Gary. Michael. Cappetta.

Somehow the algorithm on Facebook got ahold of me liking wrestling so guess who shows up in my Recommended For You posts all the time? So, he's definitely ready and waiting. 

5 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I have to say initially I was skeptical after hearing about another tournament. However, this one has won me over quite a bit because A) there's a bunch of people in it that I'm interested in watching wrestle, B) there's going to be a lot of new and interesting matches in it, C) I love that I get to announce to my household that "EVERYONE is banned from ringside" and D) THANK GOODNESS THE ELITE ISN'T IN IT.

I was super skeptical as well but last night won me over. It's a borrowed concept but it creates a White-Swerve match that otherwise makes little sense. And it's a pure match, no interference. The 3 titles - again borrowed. But it adds a stake. I was initially why another title - but it creates a layer of intrigue.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And I have never wanted to strangle Meltzer more than when he went into old man mode and refused to even try to understand what Alvarez was saying about YTTV overruns, which have been a problem for awhile now. And then Meltzer said the exact thing Alvarez was saying should happen by building in a safety buffer/overrun for the YTTV DVR.

So please YTTV, just start recording 10 minutes extra for every episode of Dynamite. I don’t give a shit if it records the first few minutes of Young Sheldon or Modern Family or whatever the fuck.

It's wild because I have Sling, which costs less than half YTTV's price and can be hot garbage in some regards, yet it always automatically DVRs like 45 extra minutes for every AEW program.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

They might have already did this and I forgot, but we need to have a vignette go to Wardlow's house only to have it be loaded with evidence that he's throwing axes at photos of MJF or something insane like that

Anyways, some people are commenting on the state of Wardlow's hair on a night that the ninjas got some ring action with MJF earlier in the card.

Hey wait a minute... wouldn't Wardlow also have a reason to hate Samoa Joe on-screen too?

Wardlow’s hair did look like the hair of someone who had just been wearing a mask. Also, the attacker with the bat had a similar build. 

I pointed this out to my son as we were watching, but he said, “No. Wardlow’s a tough guy. He would just fight MJF. Just like Samoa Joe.”

The idea of Cole being the devil doesn't appeal to me.  The whole storyline of MJF turning babyface was that he was a piece of shit his whole life as a reaction to how he was treated by others, and how he never had any friends.  Then Cole became his friend and that made him change his ways a bit, accept the fans' love, and become a babyface.  I think that's an awesome story and the guy who did all this turning on him throws all that out.  The natural progression of Cole turning and it all being a ruse would be MJF reverting and would reset his character to a one dimension scummy heel.  I really do like @Craig H's idea of Cole being framed and then MJF fighting both the real devil and fighting to regain Cole's friendship.

• Like 4

Stuff what I thought about last night:

-I enjoyed Lethal/Mox a surprising amount.  Lethal was engaged and wrestled like someone trying not to go down 0-2 and hit most of his stuff crisp and Mox did some fun stagger selling for him.  Turtling up for the Lethal Injection wasn't quite as good a counter as Swerve dropkicking him while upside-down but was still pretty good.

-Rush/Briscoe was similarly good.  Felt like Rush gave a lot more to Briscoe than he does other people.  They hit each other real hard.

-Toni is leaving money on the table showing feet for free.  They really missed the point of the gimmick with the silent movies they did, but I think it's back on track now that she has a weird entourage.

-The six man was fine.  Dante didn't seem to have any hesitation being back, although he also didn't try his big highspots.  Isaiah Kassidy is really growing on me.  His work can be a little iffy but the physical charisma is there.  

-Unsurprisingly, that was my favorite Julia Hart match.  I liked her using the Hartless even though it was no-submission to set up the moonsault.  

-Having Wardlow's first non-squash match back be giving up a bunch of offense to AR Fox is certainly a choice.  Also he needs to ditch the swanton if he's a heel now.

-I was cleaning up from dinner and kind of tuned out of the main event but liked what I saw.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Turtling up for the Lethal Injection wasn't quite as good a counter as Swerve dropkicking him while upside-down but was still pretty good.

Ok, this may be a reach, but I saw the “turtling” as being very Orange Cassidy-esque. It would be funny if Mox started using OC-like techniques in his matches as a show of respect after their feud. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

How does a guy who got his foot completely turned around on his leg return not just that fast but at all?! 

Is it bad that the first thing I thought when they showed it was “Hey! I can do that with my foot too!”

Sorry … bad attempt at amputee humor.

Regardless that absolutely looked brutal on the angle they showed and it gave me flashbacks of the Sid injury. The fact that Dante is back wrestling after what, 8-9 months, is simply amazing. And the match was fine too! Wouldn’t mind at all if we got Top Flight & Andretti going after either the ROH or AEW six-man titles.

Edited by brynn9292
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I fell asleep twice during this episode and didn't see the end of Mox/Lethal.

I came here to read the reactions, and my understanding of turtling is when you're taking a shit and it's head is poking out but it won't fully come out so it goes back up in.

I'm assuming Mox didn't do this to Jay Lethal but I went back and watched to be sure.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, brynn9292 said:

Is it bad that the first thing I thought when they showed it was “Hey! I can do that with my foot too!”?

Sorry … bad attempt at amputee humor.

Don't feel bad at all. If it wasn't for pitch-black humor... you got to laugh, and sometimes at the "wrong" things. The most at the wrong things, when it's personal. 

And speaking of which the Sid injury is something I absolutely can never watch again. Somehow seeing someone with their foot around backwards is just surreal enough to take. But that? No way. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1