DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/23 - 11/28/2023

Dolfan in NYC

friendly reminder that on YouTube and Twitter today (sorry that it’s not on TV before Dynamite) they’re announcing the rest of the field for the Continental Classic and announcing the block brackets.

• Like 1

Late to the party with some thoughts on the Lost Weekend edition of Collision...

I treasure each and every Christian talk segment we get. Starks/Bill promo was good, but death to ladder matches. Miro v Garcia was really solid. Garcia’s act could really use some wins. Miro is great at working believable matches with smaller opponents. Andrade/CJ Promo was awkward fun. I ffwd Boys v Black/King. The House could use a few competitive matches to showcase their skillsets and make them a bit more credible as tag contenders. Trent v Penta v Kommander v Cage was fun. Always happy to see Trent find victory. Ffwd passed Wardlow squash. Feels a bit sad watching ‘I’m Angry’ Wardy deflating. Dax v Rush was incredible! One of the better matches from this weekend. Screwy finish was a bit disappointing, but understood. Wheeler v Buddy was as terrific as one would expect from this pairing. And a set up to Claudio-Buddy is a nice bonus. I skimmed Ruby/Saraya v Stat/Shida. I’m here for the Angelo-Ruby budding romance. Let’s not forget to include Saraya/Daddy Magic. MJF sitdown was solid. Trent v Christian felt like a gift. I love AEW's fantastic roster of 'good hands'/'Mechanics'. Toni Storm v Emi was solid if a bit less than my expectations. Toni’s still finding balance with this hammy character. Emi never fails to impress. Eddie Kingston/Jay Lethal/Co promo was terrific. I like Ortiz as kind of a Guardian Angel of sorts for Eddie. Roddy Strong v Andretti was so scary. These guys didn’t gel. I wonder what was up with Action. Glad Roddy wasn’t seriously injured, and hoping this doesn’t keep him out. The ‘Adam’ gimmick is over, but that Ring Entrance is just starting to take flight. You can feel the buzz as he lifts his legs out of the chair and up the steps. It warms me to see an incredible talent like Strong finally find that missing character. All that said, I find this neck scare while lampooning a neck injury as a bad omen of sorts. Jay White sitdown and shenanigans made for a good segment. This was a fun go home show. I wonder how the overload of 3 hours of wrestling the night before a PPV will effect the buys, enthusiasm, etc. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Things I remember from this episode of AEW Dynamite:

Swerve/Lethal was a pretty solid start to the C2 even if nobody in their right mind thought Lethal was winning that match.

MJF has a walking stick. Samoa Joe wants a match. MJF gets muted multiple times. MJF didn't bring his A+ micwork. After consulation, MJF will take on Samoa Joe at Nassaumania (World's End) in December. The Black Scorpion also showed up and laughed.

Danhausen is back finally. The faces win with stereo choke sleepers.

Luchasaurus is now Killswitch. Nick Wayne is now the Prodigy Nick Wayne. Killswitch knocked down Nick Wayne's mom (probably intentionally since Killswitch is jealous that he doesn't have parents) and then Killswitch refused to listen to direction. Eventually Adam Copeland's old ass got out there for a save and then he hit Nick Wayne with a chair in front of Nick Wayne's Mom. I suspect if anything caused AEW's show timing problem tonight, it was Killswitch refusing to listen to his dad Christian Cage. He should be thankful his new name isn't Unprettier.

Christian's group is actually one of the better wrestling cult groups since it doesn't lean as hard on "the spooky leaderman does spooky stuff". Excited for the arranged marriage of Nick Wayne's mom and Killswitch to continue the transition to NXIVMtian Cage. Killswitch is a better name than Luchasaurus.

Rush and Jay White hit each other hard for awhile. Jay White hit Rush in the balls behind the ref's back to get the win. How is it that everybody using a variant of the Last Rites can't do it as well as Daniels did it in 1999? Gotta love the checkerboard to remind us of the C2 scores.

Toni Storm gets an acceptance speech.

The women's match goes on at the same time most AEW women's matches go on at. Then it went on for a little bit and Skye Blue won in the background of the Ruby/Angelo thing.

Tony got permission to keep Dynamite on the air because they got to their 20 minute time limit main event with 7 minutes left until the top of the hour. Also there's a commercial break at 57 after the hour because they probably knew that they were going over once someone noticed a clock. Mark Briscoe bleeds before Moxley in the upset of the night.  Moxley wins at 9:05, so we're on Turner Time tonight folks.

Next up, the Collision League matches on Saturday Night.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

How the heck can they rename Luchasaurus? Luchasaurus is a God-damn dinosaur who knows lucha libre! What exactly is "Killswitch"?

he's Christian's finisher, of course

(trying to imagine how badly Killswitch would fuck up if he tried to do the Unprettier/Killswitch)

I'm a little upset that there was no Night One Upset. 

Maybe we'll get a Week One Upset. They were leaning pretty heavy into Garcia being a Dark Horse Underdog etc etc. I love Claudio, but I would pop pretty damned hard if he did the honours during the three-hour RampLision.

Most boring and disappointing possible way to book the tournament, by a mile, would be to go chalk the whole way. Upper card guys and "big names" beating guys lower on the card, and fighting to a draw when they face one another.

Please. No.

That being said, I enjoyed every match on the show. Orange and Hook and Shibata is SUCH a nifty trios team!

The Ruby Romance storyline is (surprisingly?) entertaining.

Danhausen having THE HAT popped me. Everyone knows I love traditional hat-based psychology. "Where's your hat?" chant popped me... and paid off!

Swerve's long-term selling was a highlight.

For a second, I thought Tyrannosaurus Flex's new name was going to be "Unprettier"

is Nick Wayne going to start fires now?

While I really want a G1 type surprise upset, I am mostly just happy we are finally getting the E1/Super E Cup. 

I figure either Eddie or Bryan vs Jay or Swerve or Mox is the most likely final. Hard to be unhappy with any of those possible match-ups or possible AEW/NJPW Tertiary Triple Crown champions.

I guess Lethal vs Garcia is the least likely finals match-up, and it's not like that would stink.

(Insert graphics here later)

RJ38KqZ.jpg

TmydDLc.jpg

fXG8Koa.jpg

I am thinking of printing those out and filling them in just for the nostalgia.

Also: three people in a row quoting me without giving me a like has to be some kind of record 😀

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7

would chalk put Jay White above or below Moxley in the pecking order?

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I guess Lethal vs Garcia is the least likely finals match-up

Is Andrade getting enough of a push on the weekends to avoid a last place finish? I know i've read people thinking that they think Andrade is leaving as soon as he can get out so that's why he's basically in the Miro-zone of AEW.

Would it be too harsh for them to do a World's End matchup between the last place finishers in both group to fight to avoid finishing in last place?

• Like 2

Don Callis, for all the ups and downs of his group, doesn't have the best culty group headed by a Canadian heel in this promotion.

Next week in the saga of Christian's Patriarchy: Killswitch is forced to write an apology letter to Nick Wayne's mom for shoving her down. Christian will get Killswitch in a good purification rundown pronto.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I'm a little upset that there was no Night One Upset. 

Maybe we'll get a Week One Upset. They were leaning pretty heavy into Garcia being a Dark Horse Underdog etc etc. I love Claudio, but I would pop pretty damned hard if he did the honours during the three-hour RampLision.

Most boring and disappointing possible way to book the tournament, by a mile, would be to go chalk the whole way. Upper card guys and "big names" beating guys lower on the card, and fighting to a draw when they face one another.

Please. No.

Fully agree with all this.

Saw a take (I think it was on Twitter, hopefully it wasn't on here) that you couldn't do an upset tonight, because Mox and White needed wins to rebound from their ppv losses, and you couldn't have Swerve lose because he's hot right now and you don't want to cool him off. But the guy who said that didn't understand... at least in the G1... a round robin tournament is sort of self-contained, and losses in that tournament obviously count in terms of missing out on points in the tournament but kind of don't count in the bigger picture. It's a little tough to put into words, but I'm hoping some of you know what I'm talking about.

Like a few years back, Chase Owens beat Tanahashi in the G1, and a bunch of people who probably don't watch New Japan got upset about it. I was like, it's fine! It's the G1! The G1 has upsets!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I missed Swerve vs. Lethal, but saw the rest of the show and thought it was pretty good. Christian Cage is on a whole other level as a heel. I think he legit had that crowd wanting to see Luchasaraus...now Kill Switch (which is a much cooler name) turn and beat the shit out of him. I like how Nick Wayne is the favorite son so he gets special treatment from his new father while  Killswitch is the lowly peasant in the family.

Jay White vs. RUSH was good. I was wondering how this one would go and it ended up going how I figured it would. 

Mark Briscoe vs. Moxley was fun. There was blood and it wasn't Jon's. I want to see Mark go far in this tourney and it looked like he almost could win this match at times.

Overall a fun good show tonight. 

• Like 1