DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

So with QT leaving, I just have one question - (again, unfortunately) IS NICKY BOY GOING TO BE OKAY?!

I sure, sure hope so. Irrespective of the QT relationship, you'd have to be an insane person not to look at that guy and go "That is a professional wrestler."

• Like 3

I saw a Reddit headline that said "Reports say QT left because he wants to be a wrestling star" and the first comment was "oh honey."  I LOL'd and LOL'd.

I mean the first time I saw QT was in ROH like 10 years ago.  He was chubby, had a bald spot, and wore a Greg Valentine knockoff robe, looking like your dad working your local weekend indy around 1995.  He's gotten in better shape and gotten hairplugs since then, but there's nothing about him that screams "star."  Dude's ceiling is training people and being a TV JTTS.  Looks like getting cheap heat in Mexico got to his head if that report is true.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

I'll give kudos to QT for being one of the last true heels with no redeeming "cool" quality -  the old school in me loves that. I feel badly saying it, but overall, my feelings on him can best be summed up by a guy sitting behind me at Dynamite two years ago: "Oh my God, Cody is gone! Why are we still doing this?!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, colonial said:

Serena Deeb (@serenadeeb) • Instagram photos and videos

Serena Deeb says she has been cleared to wrestle again after being out more than a year for what she called "three unprovoked seizures" that began last October.

That's really, really scary but i'm so thankful not only that she's okay, but that she'll be back soon! She has been one of my absolute favorites since she came over as NWA champion, and the show's really been missing her presence IMO. Nothing against the other women, of course, but Serena's always been on a different level than anyone. She just has that no bullshit, Bret/Malenko/Danielson thing going on. I've said before, but she's gotta be like at least the #3 or 4 best wrestler of either gender they have under contract. Legit thrilled by this news.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2023 at 1:47 PM, Infinit said:

He's really really green

Nicely summed up there. Is the continued talk of Gravity botching everything just ppl echoing Alvarez's ridiculous WOR sentiments or? I must've missed something, I saw one pretty passable botch and his regular and expected (sometimes patchy) performance. I wonder if Gravity looking so much like his brother in-ring, without the years of polish, leads ppl to believe they're getting a Bandido match, and then find themselves disappointed? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, For Great Justice said:

See my thing with AEW right now is that if the passion is gone from the viewer, it’s because a large chunk of the soul is missing from the show. Yeah this G1 is going to produce a dozen matches that slap, but to me it’s like The Owen. I just really, really have no reason to care and it feels inorganic. I think this is one big one where myself and DVDVR brethren Coach TK disagree as fans - tournaments for the sake of tournaments absolutely sucks as a pro wrestling construct. Tony can’t get enough of it, but I’m out. It just sucks.

To add on to this, the CC will have great matches (I like all 3 tonight with Swerve/White being my favorite), but Ex harping during the night about "creating a modern triple crown" is just the most eye rolling shit ever IMO. Hell every title in the OG triple crown had at least 15 years of history behind it before the unification. This just comes off as they're trying to manufacture history and it comes off as noticeably fake which is bad for wrestling. The ROH title is doing some heavy lifting here. 

And the slight implication that NJPW doesn't have stories always seemed off to me, they have storylines and feuds that are just progressed via stable tag matches and the occasional backstage post match interview. If AEW wants to go more in that direction, it can work! The announcers might have to some more work to tie it together at times, but it can totally work. 

I am also the person that loves silly wrestling stuff so I'm not looking for "serious business" all the time. Give me something to lighten up the mood. 

• Like 1

I think the final straw with some it seems to be Flair cutting his usual 1985 NWA promo tonight on Rampage.  That wouldn't be an issue if it was a 75+ year old man who last on TV looked he has was being held together with embalming fluid talking about only wanting to see 18-28 year olds at the hotel.   He is unfortunately a victim of his history at this point.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Ex harping during the night about "creating a modern triple crown" is just the most eye rolling shit

Word.  Creating a "modern triple crown" when your world champion isn't in the tournament, there's no way that new title will replace the world title, and it's made up of two nigh-worthless afterthought belts and one brand new one, is ridiculous.