DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/1 - 11/7/2023 - To Beat The Devil

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, elizium said:

Love whenever Dalton Castle shows up, but wish that he had just come out to challenge the Acclaimed to set up a program, rather than just jumping straight to the match. Even with the trios titles, the Acclaimed have been treading water since losing the tag team belts, a month or two long feud with Dalton and the Boys could have been a lot of fun. Dalton is one of those wrestlers that I don't think Tony really sees what he has. He manages to get over every time he comes out and has such a great entrance for TV. That post-match backstage interview with Lexy should have absolutely been on TV.

So its not on youtube and I had to dig through X to find what you where talking about, hopefully it airs next week and we get a rematch down the road

38 minutes ago, zendragon said:

So its not on youtube and I had to dig through X to find what you where talking about, hopefully it airs next week and we get a rematch down the road

I should have posted it, but was lazy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Rough episode of Collision. Probably won't set a reminder next week

Fox/Swerve was fine, those guys work well together. AR got to show some stuff before losing decisively, essentially the same match they had at the beginning of the year which shows that there hasn't been a lot of advancement for either guy since despite attempting to murder Nick Wayne together

It's all in the execution but imo giving Garcia a title shot now devalues the belt and MJF

The Kingdom got a win! With a spike piledriver! This is literally the first time I've been interested in the Kingdom

Allin/Archer was a new match but felt like another retread. I know it's Darby's thing to take totally unnecessary bumps, I'm way past thinking their cool still and at this point nothing was going to convince me Archer is worth investing in again. Seeing the Righteous with Jake Roberts gave me an audible 'blech' reaction

The Acclaimed segment and match kept things going

6-man tag was a good showcase for a returning Mark Briscoe, too bad he'll be fed to Jay White on Wednesday

Willow/Emi was okay, they didn't really gel well and ran through the motions

Keith Lee/Samoa Joe would be great with any legit build behind it

Main event was a real mixed bag. I think LFI are genuinely bad, I know people like Rush but I've never seen anything from him worth watching right back to when he couldn't get his own jacket off in his AEW debut. Ricky Starks is the star in all of this and he was totally lost in the shuffle. Tag rules didn't apply at certain points in the match, just messy shit

FTR/HoB/BCC could be fun though!

I don’t get why Kip needed the Workhorsemen when he’s already in an established trio with Butcher and Blade. Also, running a “hey babyface, find two partners!” angle literally three days after their top babyface had to do it is just lazy writing. 

I don’t think the live crowd could have cared less about Preston Vance if they actively tried to. 

Edited by YouHaveUntil5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, YouHaveUntil5 said:

I don’t get why Kip needed the Workhorsemen when he’s already in an established trio with Butcher and Blade. Also, running a “hey babyface, find two partners!” angle literally three days after their top babyface had to do it is just lazy writing. 

I don’t think the live crowd could have cared less about Preston Vance if they actively tried to. 

Don't quote me on this but I seem to recall reading Butch is dealing with an injury (though I wholly agree with you - if they're disbanding the team, that's one thing, but there's been no indication that's the case). For continuity's sake, I think Kip/Blade/Bunny/Penelope recruiting a temporary third man would've made way more sense here, and as you said, avoided the unnecessary and repetitious 'find two teammates' angle with Kip.

Also, I forgot this until I finished typing the above, but I think Butcher is also working on a new record with his new post-ETID band.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

For continuity's sake, I think Kip/Blade/Bunny/Penelope recruiting a temporary third man would've made way more sense here, and as you said, avoided the unnecessary and repetitious 'find two teammates' angle with Kip.

I think I botched the post and didn’t make it clear - I meant they ran it back with Mark Briscoe, not Kip. Either way, the whole thing was unnecessary. And if their justification for it was to have Keith Lee there to hear what Joe said and make the match for Wednesday, I counter that thought with “it’s Joe vs Keith Lee, it needs no justification”. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YouHaveUntil5 said:

I think I botched the post and didn’t make it clear - I meant they ran it back with Mark Briscoe, not Kip. Either way, the whole thing was unnecessary. And if their justification for it was to have Keith Lee there to hear what Joe said and make the match for Wednesday, I counter that thought with “it’s Joe vs Keith Lee, it needs no justification”. 

Ahhh, that makes more sense - I thought maybe I missed something during Kip's quick pre-match Lexi promo backstage (and I still agree w your overall point on that regardless of players involved).

I have no idea what TK sees in the Righteous. Here's a spoiler: Old Jake ain't gonna get 'em over. I don't think they even to deserve to be a warm-up match for the Darby/Sting/Copeland trio.

I do like the general chaos of the tag division. I hope it gets to simmer for a while, with all the factions getting turns at each other.

This was a show that was trying to fill a lot of time, and would be Exhibit A for "Put another women's match on the show." You could let Dalton/Acclaimed build for a week or two by ending it after the trophy break and fill the time with something more productive. Build the Stat/Skye tension by having them vs. The Renegade Twins, Athena/Billie, or even Ruby/Saraya if you really wanna pack in the angles.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

have no idea what TK sees in the Righteous. Here's a spoiler: Old Jake ain't gonna get 'em over. I don't think they even to deserve to be a warm-up match for the Darby/Sting/Copeland trio.

I agree with your whole post, but have to definitely agree here. I kinda figured getting beat 1 v 2 by MJF was gonna be the end of them being featured outside ROH that often. I tried to give them a shot, but idk. Dreads guy's promo delivery is too 'Homeless Vietnam vet on Law and Order who needs to be assured he's not in any trouble, and the cops just have some questions, mannnnn.' Big Bubba Rogers II definitely rules, and probably should either be repackaged along those lines for a singles run, or should replace the guy they stuck with Bear Country who keeps talking about eating butts.

Also, I hesitate to share that I've had this thought because its pretty shitty and I'm not that guy, but it's been months at this point and I gotta get it off my chest no matter how cynical it is: it's mighty fucking curious to me these guys started showing up on the main shows barely before they even put Bray Wyatt in the ground. There, I said it.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Also, I hesitate to share that I've had this thought because its pretty shitty and I'm not that guy, but it's been months at this point and I gotta get it off my chest no matter how cynical it is: it's mighty fucking curious to me these guys started showing up on the main shows barely before they even put Bray Wyatt in the ground. There, I said it.

Nah I think you're right, and that's partly why they haven't got over with some viewers, he's still present in our minds and this guy is the Wish.com Temu version of him. Doesn't mean he isn't talented, just probably wasn't the right time for him to be featured prominently yet.

• Thanks 1

You all need to watch some Team Tremendous matches. Dan Barry and Bill Carr (before he became Dutch of The Righteous) as a comedy TV Detectives gimmick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

You all need to watch some Team Tremendous matches. Dan Barry and Bill Carr (before he became Dutch of The Righteous) as a comedy TV Detectives gimmick.

Definitely going to track that down! I can totally see Dutch as a cop with the shades and all, now that youve mentioned it - and though I've never seen Barry wrestle, I've seen a bunch of his 'The Officer and the Gentleman' interview series with Chuck Taylor, and he comes across as a pretty thoughtful, funny guy. Appreciate the rec

Skye-Shafir reminded me that AEW needs to have a mixed tag tournament consisting of specifically roster members who are together.  I got:
Skye/Dante
Shafir/Roddy
Britt/Cole
Julia Hart/Lee Johnson
Anna/Perry
Johnny TV/Taya
Penelope/Kip
Storm/Juice
Bunny/Blade
Tay/Sammy

I wish TK would pay for Swerve's old song just once so I could see what moves Nana would pull out to some Chaka Khan.

I hope Jake calls his stable The Union of the Snake.  That's my second and last 80s music reference, I swear.

Dug Mark's new tattoos, including Jay's face and one that resembled Jay's grenade tattoo.

I'm tired of the Acclaimed.  

Willow/Emi was awesome.  Not as great as Hayter/Emi, but what is?

Keith Lee will make me want to watch a Samoa Joe match.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Skye-Shafir reminded me that AEW needs to have a mixed tag tournament consisting of specifically roster members who are together.  I got:
Skye/Dante

Skye has been with Kyle Fletcher for a few months now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Skye/Dante
Shafir/Roddy
Britt/Cole
Julia Hart/Lee Johnson
Anna/Perry
Johnny TV/Taya
Penelope/Kip
Storm/Juice
Bunny/Blade
Tay/Sammy

Miro and Lana could be in there, too.

• Like 1