DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

I don't care what anyone says, but by the metric of common sense, Wolf Blitzer is and forever will have the worst Jeopardy! performance of all-time, and they still let dopes who work at CNN on the celebrity specials.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pairings that I didn't think about that turned out to produce a good match: Ricky Steamboat and the Nasty Boys

(the longer stream of consciousness summation of Sting/Steamboat vs the Nasty Boys from 1993 WCW is on the WWE Network thread. I'm not surprised that Steamboat knew exactly what he had to do in that match but I just never really thought "what if the Nasty Boys had worked more matches with Ricky Steamboat")

4 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

I don't care what anyone says, but by the metric of common sense, Wolf Blitzer is and forever will have the worst Jeopardy! performance of all-time, and they still let dopes who work at CNN on the celebrity specials.

One of the benefits of straight not being able to manage the buzzer is at least she won’t have a photo like Wolf standing next to Andy Richter being passed around forever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i know this is probably a longshot, but if anyone could help me track down a copy of an indy show from 2005 i would appreciate it (or even any leads). 

11/19/2005 CCW (Carolina Championship Wrestling) - A Tribute to Starrcade 

sometimes just called "Tribute". this used to be up on highspots or one of the streaming services but is no longer available. 

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i know this is probably a longshot, but if anyone could help me track down a copy of an indy show from 2005 i would appreciate it (or even any leads). 

11/19/2005 CCW (Carolina Championship Wrestling) - A Tribute to Starrcade 

sometimes just called "Tribute". this used to be up on highspots or one of the streaming services but is no longer available. 

I found a hard copy available on the British version of Highspots if that's at all helpful - seems to be a set of some kind, but description includes that show:

https://highspots.co.uk/products/ccw_5_disc_set

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I found a hard copy available on the British version of Highspots if that's at all helpful - seems to be a set of some kind, but description includes that show:

https://highspots.co.uk/products/ccw_5_disc_set

good looking out! that would work, except they don't ship to the US. 😭

unless there's some European board member who wanted to act as a go-between......? my DMs are open.
edit: was able to source it from a different UK source. Thanks Zakk for putting me on the right path!

Edited by twiztor
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2023 at 10:05 PM, Cobra Commander said:

just thought of a potentially logically dumb wrestling move: the jumping clawhold. Meaning you jump off of something towards your opponent and put them in the claw on the way down. My original idea would have had the opponent on the mat and the attacker jumping onto them and putting the law on that way.

Hey, if Iron Claw actually makes some money, somebody's gotta try using that hold again.

There's a guy down here in the deep south uses a claw variant as a finisher.

Nightmare Jeremiah ,so far has done a mandible claw into a chokeslam ,and also  a normal head claw into a chokeslam. We jocked that with the mandible claw vaariant he should pull a jockstrap out of his gear ,AKA MR JOCKO,and put htat on his hand before applying the claw.

an extra 1993 WCW thing that I find interesting (even if it possibly isn't) is Missy Hyatt pretty much deciding to copy Madonna's pixie haircut while managing the Nasty Boys. Then many years later, Miley Cyrus accidentally copies Missy's Nasty Boys era style while trying to copy Madonna's look for the Bangerz tour.
Photos are attached if you think this whole thing sounds crazy

Spoiler

sUpY66n.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In re: Celebrity Jeopardy. I unfortunately have to agree that it wasn't a great performance, but I think the buzzer really did play a significant role. You could see Becky hitting the buzzer numerous times yet not get called for the answer because her timing was off. When she did get in, it was like she wasn't expecting the buzzer to work and then panicked.

The buzzer game really is a thing. Don't forget, we live in a universe where Aaron Rodgers defeated person who is a former astronaut and current US Senator in a game of Jeopardy! I know the jokes about the US legislature write themselves, but that's not a thing that should happen if Jeopardy was a straight knowledge test.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

an extra 1993 WCW thing that I find interesting (even if it possibly isn't) is Missy Hyatt pretty much deciding to copy Madonna's pixie haircut while managing the Nasty Boys. Then many years later, Miley Cyrus accidentally copies Missy's Nasty Boys era style while trying to copy Madonna's look for the Bangerz tour.
Photos are attached if you think this whole thing sounds crazy

Hide contents

sUpY66n.png

Gosh Missy was soooooo 🔥🔥🔥 during her Nasty Boys run.

Pardon me while I go settle down lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

it felt like the story of Missy's JCP/WCW time was that she was there, on and off at times, for 6 years, and they didn't really have an idea of how to use her on-screen. I guess being married to Eddie Gilbert didn't help in that regard. From watching 80s stuff, I get the impression a certain amount of Eddie's good reputation has been aided by him being friends with the opinion-shapers who were doing newsletters and the such in the 80s.

there might be some parallels between Missy and Sunny in regards to how they obviously could be heel managers, but their companies just decided "go be pretty on screen instead"

• Like 1

Mr. Adam Hamilton, I'm not sure if there's a finish that could make a 30 minute long Sting/Road Warrior Hawk vs Nasty Boys match better.

of course that's not even the most absurdly long match involving Sting and Hawk since Sting/Booker vs the Road Warriors also went 29 minutes in a street fight in 1996.

Also... took me a moment or two to figure out the ex-Twitter video player so that I could see one of the two videos in more than split screen.

Missy hair-wise, it looks like she didn't want to stick with a "Who's That Girl" hair length for too long but she didn't stick around WCW for long enough for us to find out if she would copy Bedtime Stories era Madonna in 1994.

Edited by Cobra Commander

On 11/14/2023 at 11:50 PM, Ramo2653 said:

I have a friend that's from Puerto Rico and she loves Batista and used to think he was from the island until Guardians of the Galaxy came out. 

Mid 90s Flair vs. Low Ki on WCWSN or Worldwide would have been amazing. There also would have been one spot that went comically wrong too. Imagine Flair locking in the figure 4 and getting leverage from Woman or Elizabeth on the outside. Or Woman hitting Ki with her heel to give Ric an advantage.

My obligatory reminder that we were once literally *this*close* to Kevin Nash vs Low Ki for the X Division title.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

If there was indy wrestling in Wyoming, this is exactly the setting I’d expect it to occur in:

Forgot the company (and I should know this), but they did a similar thing in the middle of Time Square. The set up looked mad expensive, which is obviously the opposite of this.

Amateur wrestling embracing a more Street Fighter atmosphere over the last few years is not what I could have predicted, but then again, a bunch of DI programs were cut all over the place some years back. It's probably needed to build interest.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

If there was indy wrestling in Wyoming, this is exactly the setting I’d expect it to occur in:

GCW held a show in Wyoming in 2021 at a barn type structure at a fairgrounds. It featured Manders riding a horse to the ring only for the horse to refuse to walk out, Mance Warner doing a "pocket sand" spot, and someone in the audience calling the police because they thought the main event brawl was a shoot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

And it was in Laramie, Wyoming, site of a horrific homophobic murder in the 90s. So Effy and Allie Katch getting babyface reactions was a positive surprise.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 8

was there much of a "fans who are probably attending the University of Wyoming" crowd at that show? because on some topics, a major university can help speed up the process of people not being awful in public (not to mention the overall community impact of the murder)

I'm guessing the main reason why there wasn't much territory wrestling (that we know of) in Wyoming is obvious.. it's a state without a lot of people where the major population centers probably don't have enough interest to keep the operation in business. Not to mention that parts of Wyoming get their TV from Denver, which also didn't really have much local wrestling back in the day. There's a bit of a gap between the midwest and the west coast for territory wrestling that wasn't AWA guys flying into town.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Forgot the company (and I should know this), but they did a similar thing in the middle of Time Square. The set up looked mad expensive, which is obviously the opposite of this.

Amateur wrestling embracing a more Street Fighter atmosphere over the last few years is not what I could have predicted, but then again, a bunch of DI programs were cut all over the place some years back. It's probably needed to build interest.

I wrongly assumed the mainstream rise of UFC would of really helped amateur wrestling but instead we have BJJ schools on every corner