DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

Batista’s last name causing some fans to think he was Hispanic when he’s actually Filipino (same colonizer, different part of the world) was a fun little “fans misinterpreting things” moment.

Theres a swath of the world where you can pretty much mix up one ethnicity for another.

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Batista’s last name causing some fans to think he was Hispanic when he’s actually Filipino (same colonizer, different part of the world) was a fun little “fans misinterpreting things” moment.

Theres a swath of the world where you can pretty much mix up one ethnicity for another.

He's so lucky that Vince didn't find out about his lunchbox collection, we missed out on Lunch Pail Pete or something similar. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It always kills me I go back and listen to Alvarez talk about how some of these guys who got their gimmicks have no connection to those gimmicks and his one example is Skinner, which is probably the worst example cause Keirn did skin gators for fun as his hobby. Skinner was Keirn's idea. With Tony Anthony, according to him, his dad was actually like a great plumber. The other folks it's like Vince's impromptu questionnaire of your fears, dislikes, and what you like to do.  That and Vince already had a pre-existing character he had in mind he was planning to give you anyway.

The issue is not being able to fit those characters in an environment that's based on being flexible and/or pop culture friendly. Nine out of ten times, they were not.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It always kills me I go back and listen to Alvarez talk about how some of these guys who got their gimmicks have no connection to those gimmicks and his one example is Skinner, which is probably the worst example cause Keirn did skin gators for fun as his hobby. Skinner was Keirn's idea. With Tony Anthony, according to him, his dad was actually like a great plumber. The other folks it's like Vince's impromptu questionnaire of your fears, dislikes, and what you like to do.  That and Vince already had a pre-existing character he had in mind he was planning to give you anyway.

I bet Vince still kicks himself for using the name Virgil for a black bodyguard and not a wrestling plumber. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mister TV said:

I bet Vince still kicks himself for using the name Virgil for a black bodyguard and not a wrestling plumber. 

Yeah, I was going to bring that up. I guess Goldust being around was already enough of a rib.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Reminds me of when at the old house I was renting, a friend of mine looked at a bookcase I had and said "I can't believe you have Bret Hart right next to Nietzsche". 

One is a genius revolutionary who preached mastery through self-realization; the other is Nietzsche

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The other folks it's like Vince's impromptu questionnaire of your fears, dislikes, and what you like to do.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't actually hand those out to new hires prior to their debut, like a dating quiz or work application or something. Likes/dislikes, former occupations, etc. "Choose the profession that most describes your personality. Is it: A. Clown B. Law Officer C. Repossession Expert D. Mortuary Technician E. Other"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sid quoting Nietzsche on the way to Royal Rumble 1997 is pro wrestling's high water mark. You won't be able to top that.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't actually hand those out to new hires prior to their debut, like a dating quiz or work application or something. Likes/dislikes, former occupations, etc. "Choose the profession that most describes your personality. Is it: A. Clown B. Law Officer C. Repossession Expert D. Mortuary Technician E. Other"

JR had an episode on Kane for Grilling JR recently. Glen Jacobs basically tried to do a jedi mind trick by saying no when Vince asked him if he didn't like going to dentist, and Vince still gave him the dentist gimmick anyway. So there is no way around it.

Repo Man was Darsow's idea, which is another one for the ages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He had a very difficult time pivoting away from Hollywood Hogan Plays the Hits as time progressed.

Oh, I meant all of them trying to be street. K-Dawg was the worst, but it was all cringe.

Just now, JLowe said:

Oh, I meant all of them trying to be street. K-Dawg was the worst, but it was all cringe.

The call and response thing was clearly over though. Over time, it's going to wear on you cause Konnan didn't do much improvising. Road Dogg to his credit, even when he would fuck up or didn't get the response he wanted, knew how to change it up or cover it up. Konnan knew had something and wasn't deviating. The problem was once you had six or seven guys doing it on the same show, it's groundhog day.

• Like 5

On 11/13/2023 at 11:28 AM, FourPostMassacre said:

All this Hansen bathroom talk had me trying to find his scene from No Holds Barred where he inspects the two corporate guys “Teeny Weenys” in the bathroom but no luck and besides who could forget that?! 

One of whom is future Oscar nominee David Paymer...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

The Best Live Experiences thread reminded me of maybe the most baffling wrestling related experience of my life, which doesn't quite fit in there.

I'd gone to New Orleans for Wrestlemania 34 in 2018, not a good Wrestlemania, but the one that I get to say I have physically attended. When I was emptying my pockets for the security pat down/scan, I take out my Kindle to put in the little tray. The security guard looks at it with total astonishment and says, 'Y'all READ?!'

At the time and for years afterwards, I assumed she was just confused and disgusted that anybody might read for pleasure, and maybe that seeing this Kindle had affirmed everything she had ever believed about the effete, intellectual degenerates that they produce over in England.

On more recent reflection though, I've begun to wonder whether I was being uncharitable to Americans, and the thing that really blew a fuse in her brain was the very idea of a non-illiterate fan of professional wrestling.

Nah it's the deep south. I have had a few times in a Waffle House late at night people looking at me cause I am reading a book. Feels like living a Bill Hicks bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, caley said:

I often wonder how quickly Mick Foley s WWE career would have flamed out if they had stuck with his original WWE moniker/gimmick of Mason the Mutilator

Would it have been that big of a deal?

1. Foley was talented and unique to the point where he would gotten at least a portion of it over.

2. They would always be able to pivot away from the name like they've done with countless others. Thus, it would probably be a Kane the Undertaker thing where he's only Mason the Mutilator working a dark match versus Spark Plugg Bob Holly or Aldo Montoya and the name never makes TV. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Unfortunately for Terry Taylor, he didn’t get the gimmick of Terry Tailor.

Ironically, "The Tailor Made Man" was a gimmick he got in WCW. The fact no one thought of that for him in WWF is kind of a huge "how did they not get that?"

James

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I don't remember Hogan being in the Wolfpack as I believe Nash, Hall, and Syxx (before he was gone from WCW) were considered the Wolfpack before the actual Wolfpack. Hogan did the brothers and sisters on the street thing once or twice in late 1997 or early 1998 to kinda humor himself cause I think Nash was ribbing him for not being cool cause he didn't listen to Tupac (lol). Once Nash, Savage, and Konnan break away to form the Wolfpack, he starts doing it a lot more and by late 1998 it's damn near every episode. I think he's doing it to pop himself cause I am not sure the crowd knew what to make of "Wood" and "Woody". For a very juvenile crowd, he's lobbing softballs.

Post finger poke of Doom , when he joined NWO Wolfpac and NWO black and white was composed of job guys fighting amoung themselves he was really laying on the "talk like the kids" and wearing JINCOs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Would it have been that big of a deal?

1. Foley was talented and unique to the point where he would gotten at least a portion of it over.

2. They would always be able to pivot away from the name like they've done with countless others. Thus, it would probably be a Kane the Undertaker thing where he's only Mason the Mutilator working a dark match versus Spark Plugg Bob Holly or Aldo Montoya and the name never makes TV. 

3. Mankind was sort of a dumb, confusing name anyway.

• Like 2

One of the biggest WTF moments I ever had was finding out that William Moody was a real life mortician. I mean it's not that they had Paul Bearer and were looking for a guy to manage, no, it was the other way around (if I am not completely wrong), and lo, there was a wrestling manager who just happened to be a mortician.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Foley explained the name but I am totally blanking on the reasoning behind it.

Whatever the reason is would be totally better than whatever creative services could come up with.

From Have a Nice Day:

"Well," I asked, "what if you were to call me Mankind the Mutilator"?

Vince seemed perplexed. "I'm not sure I understand," is all he said. I had his interest, but it was important to try and nail to now. If I couldn't sell him on Mankind now, I knew I never would. "You see, Vince, the name would have a double meaning. I could talk about 'the future of mankind' or 'the destruction of mankind' and it would carry two different meanings. I could also blame mankind as a people for creating Mankind as a person. Then, when I talk about Mankind the Mutilator, I could either be talking about myself or making an indictment of the whole human race."

Vince seemed genuinely impressed. "I like that." He nodded. "Let's go with it."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1