DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Headstrong? Weren't they also using t.A.T.u for Victoria's theme as well? So was their plan to just grab all the radio top ten songs and basically be pro wrestling TRL/MuchMusic Countdown? I mean folks can make fun the Young Buck/Elite connection with like Hot Topic, but goddamn the target demo for all the songs being brought up is SPECIFCALLY that demo.

I'm just picturing Victoria setting aside like half her day to film her new entrance.  She meets the director and he says "Okay act mean for a minute",  "Okay, growl at me once while raising your hand", "Okay pretend like you're looking at a crystal ball."  

"Alright, I think we got it."

And she got like 5 hours of her day back.  God, she rules.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Did then WWE have a deal with one of the record companies back then?

Hell, probably. To get that level of access and clearance to continually play those songs, it's either a deal on paper in place or payola. Either way, it's a deal.

It could be that era of WWE wanted to recreate the Rock 'n' Wrestling movement cause they did constantly bring in bands to perform for Mania or have them appear in the audience at different events. Except if you're of a certain age, you either hate it or love it. Very little in between. I mean look at something like MNM. Yeah, you got Jersey Shore clones later on but that type of trashy early to mid 2000s celebrity socialite stuff is DATED as hell if you watch it now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm just picturing Victoria setting aside like half her day to film her new entrance.  She meets the director and he says "Okay act mean for a minute",  "Okay, growl at me once while raising your hand", "Okay pretend like you're looking at a crystal ball."  

"Alright, I think we got it."

And she got like 5 hours of her day back.  God, she rules.

Knowing how WWE does business and how old time wrestling mentality was, she probably didn't get off that lucky and had to use her off day to film that entire thing. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 2:53 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

It may just be the way MSG is set up. Anytime I watch old boxing whether it be from the 70s to the early 2000s from the Garden, the tunnel is always facing towards the hard camera. The Forum Boxing shows during the 1990s from what's now the Kia Forum had a similar setup. Ironically, the MSG group owns the Forum.

Not anymore. Steve Ballmer bought the Forum from MSG in 2020. He did it to halt MSG's attempts to stop him from getting the Intuit Dome built.

33 minutes ago, Ace said:

Not anymore. Steve Ballmer bought the Forum from MSG in 2020. He did it to halt MSG's attempts to stop him from getting the Intuit Dome built.

Yeah, that makes sense cause that's going be an interesting experiment. You got the Olympics coming back to LA for the first time in 40 years (44 by the time it happens) but I don't know if the Los Angeles area can really support having multiple large arenas (Crypto fka Staples Center, the Kia Forum, Galen Center, the Pauley Pavilion even though they don't really have outside entertainment, and Intuit Dome). That's not even counting the soccer stadium, SoFi, the YouTube theater, the former Home Depot Center in Carson. That's overkill territory.

Add in the fact the Clippers core that the team is currently constructed around probably won't last another five years. Is Ballmer hoping the Clippers get hot somehow, and they somehow draw a crowd outside of being at a place is it's own entertainment hub in LA Live for the last how many decades? That seems foolhardy.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

OR

"The formula tells me non-finishers never end matches, so my MOVESET~! will be nothing but finishers!  I can't lose!"

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

You just made Matt D's head explode

Now I REALLY want Matt to review Ospreay vs. Speedball. 

DEAN would have loved that match, btw. He'd have called it postmodern masterpiece. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

He Guys, we've seen how into the contract storylines (and legal ones) Khan is. He takes a ton of pride on the analytics group he built up for the Jags. For him to have a wrestling character like that in AEW would be the most insufferable thing imaginable.

Speaking of insufferable, He might as well just play it himself. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Speaking of insufferable, He might as well just play it himself. 

Hey, when McMahon came up with a coke dealer gimmick, he got Vic Grimes to play him and not himself. Sometimes you have to show restraint.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Did then WWE have a deal with one of the record companies back then?

i just remember WWE using the band Neurotica in a shit load of videos and packages and stuff. i believe they were the only band ever signed to the WWF's record label ("SmackDown Records"?) except for wrestlers and their side projects.

• Like 2

Okay, so the Saudis aren't fucking around. I am looking at pictures and videos of their gala dinner, and they have EVERYONE who is has been famous from boxing and MMA in the last forty plus years there. Even across competitive lines. So either the Saudis are bankrolling on another level or this is some elaborate thing that's going end up like the Red Wedding. Like Oscar De La Hoya is going stab 91 year old Bob Arum in the heart and then pull out his entrails. They also have like random major celebs and folks from other sports. Cristiano Ronaldo is there. Like Amir Khan is bothering Eminem for his autograph. This is insane.

WWE has to do something for Crown Jewel next week. They cannot be this outstaged.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Do we have anybody on the roster who can pass as a fake Ultimate Warrior?"

Seriously, they got Michael Spinks out of the house. He probably ain't been out ANYWHERE other than the funerals for his brother Leon and Butch Lewis. He probably didn't even go to his own Hall of Fame induction.

I am trying to figure a scenario where every possible living luminary in wrestling past and present from all the major companies AND outside major celebs would go where one or more parties don't say no. That or there wouldn't be a major fist fight of some sort. I am looking at some of these pictures and videos. They have a bunch of people hate each others guts there, but I am guess money is the best uniter.

I mean between Joe Calzaghe, Ricky Hatton, Chuck Liddell, apparently the entire Fury family based on past admissions and overall behavior, they can at least unite over rampant cocaine abuse. Man, there had to be some cartel in Colombia working overtime to cover what they had to import into Saudi Arabia for this week.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hey, when McMahon came up with a coke dealer gimmick, he got Vic Grimes to play him and not himself. Sometimes you have to show restraint.

Vince was (is? nothing would surprise me) a coke user not a coke dealer though. And for that role, well, there was Mr. McMahon. 😄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Vince was (is? nothing would surprise me) a coke user not a coke dealer though. And for that role, well, there was Mr. McMahon. 😄

I know someone would make that distinction (most people do when trying to avoid that distribution charge lol), but TK technically isn't the Jags analytics guy. He just hires the analytics people.

Listen, its really gross for me to even speculate on the health of someone I've only ever interacted with here literally decades ago, but I have ADHD (as evidenced by the way I oscillate between half my posts sounding like Keith Lee, and half of them sounding like Shit Ric Flair Would Tweet When He Is Drunk . Woooo ! ) and I definitely know the classic Vyvanse-and-Caffiene when I see it. I don't think anything illicit is happening, and I think the whole blow meme is or will soon reach a point where it's becoming borderline slanderous - again, absolutely none, zero, of anyone's business but his own, but I think a lot of people need to look at themselves and realize there's a non zero chance they are giving a dude a hard time for some shit that ain't his fault, and for being really, really passionate about something we all love

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I was thinking about how part of the thing that marked "peak" Attitude era WWF/E was how Vince decided to use actual currently popular music to promote the wrestlers, PPVs, and even the angles. The most obvious being "My Way" being the theme song of the then biggest match of the company's history.

To wit, last weekend, Spotify reminded me of the existence of Puddle of Mudd's "Blurry".  I really seem to remember it being used in an angle at some point.  I cannot for the life of me place it, or if it was just the Mandela Effect in pure pro-wrestling form.  I *think* it was a HHH-Booker title match, but the only thing I can find is a possibly fan-made tribute to... the guy we don't talk about any more.

Am I just crazy or did they actually use Blurry to promote a match?

I'm one of the few that absolutely loved that era of music in WWE, so I get nostalgic anytime it comes up and wish it was still that way. Huge fan of Trapt, Evanescence, etc. (did mark big for New Year's Day on NXT this week, a current favorite)

I also would've thought Blurry was used at some point, but I'm probably thinking of "Nothing Left to Lose" being the Rumble 04 theme.

I made a locker room's collective head explode when I suggested not using Hard Rock/Heavy Metal as the music before the show. I said "How much Death Metal do you think is being played in the mini van heading to the show tonight?" We were in rural New Brunswick so I put together a playlist of stuff that was popular on Radio/streaming, high energy. 

When it came time to pick a theme for myself, I choose a pop style hip hop song, and the boss asked me why and gave me a bunch of Butt Rock songs I should use. Why would I want the same style that everyone else on the show has, I want to be different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dokdoyle said:

I made a locker room's collective head explode when I suggested not using Hard Rock/Heavy Metal as the music before the show. I said "How much Death Metal do you think is being played in the mini van heading to the show tonight?" We were in rural New Brunswick so I put together a playlist of stuff that was popular on Radio/streaming, high energy. 

When it came time to pick a theme for myself, I choose a pop style hip hop song, and the boss asked me why and gave me a bunch of Butt Rock songs I should use. Why would I want the same style that everyone else on the show has, I want to be different.

I have a vague idea for an Indy wrestling character who’s a huge hipster and changes his entrance music every show to be ahead of the latest music trends. 

• Like 2