DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Rude might just be actually under rated as far as goat lists

I may have never seen a man who balanced credibility with wonderfully over-the-top selling the way Rude did. I say that as a Funk and Kamala and Big Show and Harley Race and Brock and Roman appreciator and I'm straining my brain hard enough to type NJPW Scott Norton so I'm probably good for the night.

EDIT: Is Rhea Ripley getting there?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

I don't watch WWE, so I can't comment on Rhea Ripley's shocked face, but you know whose shocked face bothers me, Ruby Soho...and she does it just about every time her opponent kicks out. I wish it didn't bother me so much because I really enjoy Ruby's work. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

So which dead wrestler names would be reused on live wrestlers?

(probably shouldn’t reuse Test since that wasn’t a good name)

That's awkward but Nick saying Test only passed away a couple years ago is probably as bad unless he's trying to make Bill feel less embarrassed.

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Telling Bill Simmons that 2009 was only a couple of years ago is probably good for Bill’s ego since Bill Simmons hasn’t been good in the 2000s

Simmons really is the ultimate example of the prototypical over-confident white male who will talk authoritatively on any subject no matter how little he really knows about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

That's like Herb Abrams saying he was going to have Brody in the UWF. 

No, not really. Brody had only been dead maybe three or four years when Herb said that. Test has been no longer alive for almost fifteen years.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

There’s probably a few late 90s wrestlers whose deaths in the 2000s totally flew under the radar with how many wrestlers died then

I would say because there were so many between 2002 - 2012, a good number of them DIDN'T fly under the radar especially the young ones like Test. Not as widespread like a Windham Rotundo/Bray Wyatt or a Terry Funk due to the evolution of social media, but I remember it being a story that did hit casuals.  

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Telling Bill Simmons that 2009 was only a couple of years ago is probably good for Bill’s ego since Bill Simmons hasn’t been good in the 2000s

I like the Rewatchables but god damn, every time Simmons opens his mouth regarding anything related to wrestling, I have to remind myself that all he knows in WWE and really not even that much.

Edited by Technico Support

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'll never forget hearing that when told Brody was dead, he replied "no, he was just sick."

You know that stabbedtodeath bug use to hit Puerto Rico a lot back in the eighties. 

• Haha 3