DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, Ted lived with his grandparents in Arizona after his dad died and then he went to HS back in Omaha and then went to West Texas State in Amarillo.

I knew this existed somewhere. BIBIASE~!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

for a guy whose last name was pronounced a few different incorrect ways in Mid-South or St. Louis... BiBiase is a new one

With this being pre Google, I can see someone who was probably unfamiliar with either pro wrestling or Mike DiBiase found like an old flyer where there was a typo or a smudge on the D in DiBiase and just went with BiBiase. This is probably some football writer (surprised gridder as a football term didn't catch on) who got saddled with this and thought this was an interesting footnote.

• Thanks 1

The pronunciation of "DiBiase" was a great mystery to me until he debuted on WWF tv. I didn't get Mid South where I lived, but I'd see a ton about him in the wrestling magazines. So, I'd seen he name in print a million times before I ever heard it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Flair doesn’t get enough credit for being carny enough to convince territory era promoters that it was in their best interest to make him look rich. 

Say what you want, but at least Tony Khan has enough money where any purchase like that is well within reason. He can buy 500 pools and not feel it in his bank account. The Crocketts were well off, but I am sure leisure related items like pools and other stuff Flair may have gotten on their dime like tailored clothes and expensive shoes would be something you would at least have to discuss. Knowing how JCP would come to end, it makes you wonder how much the money mark characteristics played a hand in the demise. You can say that guys like Flair, Dusty, and others made the investments worth it, but apparently not, cause they didn't survive through the 80s despite some great years in there. IMO, that's the definition of a money mark cause that's not how businesses are ran.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

The pronunciation of "DiBiase" was a great mystery to me until he debuted on WWF tv. I didn't get Mid South where I lived, but I'd see a ton about him in the wrestling magazines. So, I'd seen he name in print a million times before I ever heard it.

There was a girl in my middle school who was a grade below me whose last name was DiBiase. She pronounced it Dih-bee-ACE. This was around 1987-1988, so a few classmates who liked wrestling teased her about whether everybody has a price, where Virgil was, etc. My sister, who was on a softball team with her, explained to her who Ted DiBiase was and she just shook her head.

• Haha 6

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

IIRC, they were originally billed as The Major Brothers.

This is correct. They were a jobber team on SD. They disappeared for a bit then came back with the Hawkins and Ryder names as Edge's lackeys to help him beat Taker.

My biggest memory of them as the Major Brothers was when I was in college, I went to a one of the WLW shows that had NOAH guys on it on a Saturday, then WWE was running a house show in Columbia on Sunday. Other than the NOAH guest stars (who just worked with each other) and a young Bobby Fish, the WLW guys were pretty rough. The Major Brothers were like the absolute bottom of the barrel guys that would still appear on WWE TV at the time, and watching them work the crowd and their general timing and execution really highlighted the difference of what it took to get from a low level indy to the big time. It was like watching an end of the bench NBA player dominate a king of a pickup game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

a young Bobby Fish

Bobby Fish was young once? That doesn't seem credible.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. Also Bobby Fish was there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, colonial said:

There was a girl in my middle school who was a grade below me whose last name was DiBiase. She pronounced it Dih-bee-ACE. This was around 1987-1988, so a few classmates who liked wrestling teased her about whether everybody has a price, where Virgil was, etc. My sister, who was on a softball team with her, explained to her who Ted DiBiase was and she just shook her head.

We have a DVDVR member whose last name is DiBiase. I ask him about Uncle Ted from time to time. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Too Goodfor the Lucha Thread only. NFL Mascot Lucha in CMLL

Is the full match of this available somewhere? I would love to share this with a couple of my football loving friends. "When hobbies collide"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Bobby Fish was young once? That doesn't seem credible.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. Also Bobby Fish was there.

You son of a bitch! I think they omitted something in the Finnish version, because the last line certainly seems new to me. Unlike Bobby Fish, obviously!

• Haha 1