DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/21 - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

That Dragunov/Trick Williams match was the shit. Ilja with the Lenin facial hair makes him look more like an adult but Lamp said in the Discord, maybe a little less bizarre. 

Barely watched the rest. How anyone could listen to an entire episode of Booker's commentary is beyond me. It's tolerable for a match or two but soooooo bizarre now that it drives you up the wall. He sounds totally bent on drugs like no other commentator ever. 

Trick/Ilja was a fight from beginning to end and easily Trick's best match ever.

Ava/Ivy was mostly a showcase to seemingly show how Ava's improved before the quick kill by Ivy. Dug Ivy kicking asses of several Schism henchmen post match. 

Frazer/Dar was good stuff for the most. One moment of Lash's cheating felt off during the picture-in-picture.

The women's segment not good. I rarely dig any of these segments where multiple people are just squawking at each other. They always last too long and never have enough good trash talk. 

Dragon/Lyra vs. Dom/Rhea was good fun. Really dug the Rhea/Lyra sections. The Raquel interference was a neat surprise.

The Wagner/Corbin was fun while it lasted. That spear from Bron at the end was nice.

Melo/Wes was damn good as expected. That missed dive towards the end was scary, but it worked into the finish quite well. Kind of wonder if they run this again when Hayes finally loses the title to move up.

Generally solid-good show with the bigger matches all delivering on some level.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

SD will be an interesting show this week, if only to see how much of it will be tributes to Bray and/or Terry. 

SportsKeeda (I know, I know) says all plans for tonight have been called off and all meetings are cancelled.  

My guess is this is going to be a two hour tribute show tonight.  

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Wow. You and Harrison? I'd say enjoy, but you know what I mean.

No. I have a friend at the local Fox station who got free tickets. Haven't broken it to Har that he's not going. He's not really a WWE fan*, so I think he'll be fine. And, honestly, I don't think this particular show would be right to be his first WWE show.

*This week, he had to bring in three items that would show his class (1st grade) something about himself. One of the items was his Orange Cassidy figure. His teacher was like, "Oh, you like WWE?" and he had to correct her that no, he likes AEW. He did watch this past Wrestlemania and really enjoyed it. He's just never latched onto WWE like he did AEW.

Edited by Log
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Log said:

No. I have a friend at the local Fox station who got free tickets. Haven't broken it to Har that he's not going. He's not really a WWE fan*, so I think he'll be fine. And, honestly, I don't think this particular show would be right to be his first WWE show.

*This week, he had to bring in three items that would show his class (1st grade) something about himself. One of the items was his Orange Cassidy figure. His teacher was like, "Oh, you like WWE?" and he had to correct her that no, he likes AEW. He did watch this past Wrestlemania and really enjoyed it. He's just never latched onto WWE like he did AEW.

Good getting free tickets like that. I think you're right with Harrison and tonight. Thanks for sharing Harrison's school day too.

• Like 1

Listen. Maybe my perspective is a bit off here. So feel free to tell me if this reads like an over reaction. I felt like this was a let down in regards to a tribute to a fallen current member of the roster due to a tragic and (mostly) unexpected nature. The opening tribute and the close of the show were phenomenal. Bonus points to them for reaching out to Rowan too. Having Rowan & Braun there was a touching aspect of that open.

But this episode rang hollow to me. They went right back to a normal episode of Smackdown and running angles and pushing Payback. Idk. To me this feels like an episode that should have been like the Eddie & the Owen & the Brodie Lee tribute episodes. Just a night of celebration and letting his friends say an on air goodbye. Them just playing a bunch of clips as if it was a DX 25th anniversary episode or something... I don't know. Just felt off to me. What am I missing? Am I alone in this feeling?

• Like 2

I am uncomfortable with the notion of like... rating tribute episodes and such. I think with the advent of social media there isn't really the same need to get his friends and coworkers to sit in the back and pour their heart out to a camera if they want to, which is basically what WWE generally did.

• Like 1

I'm not anyone to tell anyone else how to feel, but I really loved that show. Normally the whole " The show must go on" bullshit is awful but for whatever reason it felt right to me this time. And I have a lot of reasons. The tribute videos were great. Sure, the Terry one definitely had a lot of stuff from his HOF video but Cody was fantastic. The show really touched me and I cried a bunch. My favorite two wresting things were LA Knight giving an amazing tribute to Bray Wyatt while keeping Kayfabe and the Terry Funk Hardcore Match being a Texas Tornado match where they worked fucking stiff with no weapons until it ended with one table spot. Dollars to Doughnuts Heyman helped book that. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, username said:

I am uncomfortable with the notion of like... rating tribute episodes and such. I think with the advent of social media there isn't really the same need to get his friends and coworkers to sit in the back and pour their heart out to a camera if they want to, which is basically what WWE generally did.

I was thinking about that as well. I was thinking earlier how much I kinda liked those " Hey, your co worker and maybe friend died yesterday" shows. And it bothered me for a minute , but it's off my guilt pile, so I'm feeling good.

Some of those one cam confessionals were moving but most of it was uncomfortable. Some of it was hilarious, like the 9/11 shit with not just Stephanie. She gets a lot of shit, but almost all of those reaction to tragedy spots are awful. Regal being all shifty eyed because he's no dummy during the Benoit one is also fucking hilarious, at least to me. It was the exact moment I knew my Carbon Dioxide idea was out the window. 

People shouldn't be asked to do that during a time of shock and mourning. You give that job to Cole, Graves, LA Knight, and Cody Rhodes. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

All the matches were good with the Hardcore tag that was more of a Texas Tornado tag between the Street Profits and Brawling Brutes being especially damn good. 

The tributes vids to Bray and Funk were lovely. A part of me wishes the show was dedicated more of that with friends talking about them, but another part of me realizes feelings may be too raw for people to really want to talk much about it so soon beyond thoughts and prayers for the family, especially with Bray given how young he was. Kudos to those who were able. You see some of those tweets and hear Graves talking, and you forget just how much of the current roster came up with Bray. I didn't even realize Nattie straight up grew up with him to a degree.

I think they are damned if they do, damned if they don’t. 

if it was all tribute, some would find it off putting and say they should be allowed to grieve privately.

if there was a small tribute, people would call them insensitive and say it’s just soulless corporate platitudes, like their tweets when people pass away. 

no real right answer to me.  If it made the talent feel a little better to talk about their friend they lost, that’s prob the best outcome. 

• Like 4

It's a difficult balancing act between too much tribute for some and too little for others. One thing for sure if that people shouldn't have to talk on camera if they don't want to. Have no need to see someone already upset break down crying. I thought WWE did a good job paying tribute to Terry Funk and Bray Wyatt. WWE do great video packages, still the best at them. What a horrible two days. Condolences to the family and friends grieving at this sad time xxx.