DVDVR Message Board

All In II - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No one gives a crap about CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe Part 42. And now Punk has specifically made it that all we're talking about his facing The Elite. Sack up and do business. 

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

I do 😞 

I do. Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk is one of my favourite rivalries.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Meh.  Let them be upset over nothing.

WWE puts on shows routinely in stadiums these days.  It’s impressive but it’s hardly news.

AEW does one and at least in the moment… that’s a milestone.  A high water mark in its progress and in its narrative as a young company that’s still figuring it all out.  No pun intended.  

ECW, TNA, and ROH to a lesser extent all had that question about them over the “when or if” something would happen that might elevate them into the culture to challenge the big E.  Also no pun intended.  OK maybe a little bit.

Selling out Wembley itself is connected to a long standing subplot in wrestling with the UK having been so underserved over the years.  

Germany make some noise.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

because YOU want to see it, CM Punk should get over a workplace grievance, petty or not. Yeah, I don't think humans generally work that way for monetary gain or otherwise.

Here's the thing.  It's Tony Khan's company.  Whether matches between all of these guys is good for business or not, let's leave that part out for now.  This whole thing has to be a headache and somehow it's still ongoing.  How is that even possible?  People can say what they want about Vince McMahon but he'd have had these guys in the ring with each other.  Bret and Michaels still had to work together.  Edge and Matt Hardy did business.  The list goes on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Here's the thing.  It's Tony Khan's company.  Whether matches between all of these guys is good for business or not, let's leave that part out for now.  This whole thing has to be a headache and somehow it's still ongoing.  How is that even possible?  People can say what they want about Vince McMahon but he'd have had these guys in the ring with each other.  Bret and Michaels still had to work together.  Edge and Matt Hardy did business.  The list goes on. 

There are also various times where people didn't work with each other or they intentionally kept people apart. It's never been 100% one way.

Bret and Shawn had a unique relationship because they were very cool with each other going back to 80s when Shawn was a Rocker and Bret was in the Hart Foundation. Things didn't change until Shawn became too hard to deal and Bret himself had a huge ego and was a perfectionist. However, they never said explicitly they wouldn't work with each other. Even when the incident in Hartford happened, Shawn likely knew Bret had too much respect in the locker room to try to have something done to him. Bret was a made man. Keep in mind, for the better of 1997, Shawn made it a priority to make it very hard for Bret in front of the camera. He was cutting legit shoot promos on Bret that Vince should have not tolerated on top of the Sunny days comment. Shawn was WAY off the hinges. So basically you had Vince condoning his behavior. Shawn basically made up his mind that he was going to work with Bret but stab him in the back every opportunity. That's not something to be celebrated.

If Punk's not going to work with Hangman then he needs to shut his mouth about him. And it's proof he's a crybaby if he's going to lose his proverbial shit over Hangman "going into business for himself" while continually doing the same thing. That makes you an asshole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Punk's not going to work with Hangman then he needs to shut his mouth about him. And it's proof he's a crybaby if he's going to lose his proverbial shit over Hangman "going into business for himself" while continually doing the same thing. That makes you an asshole.

You should go and try to shut it since you're the keen authority on manhood apparently.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You should go and try to shut it since you're the keen authority on manhood apparently.

I'm not sure what this is in reference to (that's between you guys) but I'll say, I gotta back Mr Vile on this one. Hangman saying a throwaway line to Punk's face in a promo seems way less 'going into business' than whatever this comment about toys and ratings was, especially given that Hangman (once again) was not even there to defend himself - because he was allegedly sent home, of course...for reasons...by someone...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm not sure what this is in reference to (that's between you guys) but I'll say, I gotta back Mr Vile on this one. Hangman saying a throwaway line to Punk's face in a promo seems way less 'going into business' than whatever this comment about toys and ratings was, especially given that Hangman (once again) was not even there to defend himself - because he was allegedly sent home, of course...for reasons...by someone...

The point is Punk isn't going to shut up about it. Moreover, VileOne is not going to shut him up by trying to talk tough on the internet.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The point is Punk isn't going to shut up about it. Moreover, VileOne is not going to shut him up by trying to talk tough on the internet.

Ah ok, misunderstood - I thought you were specifically referencing the 'going into business' aspect, so that's why I responded w what I did. I need an afternoon coffee (or to ban you from the building!)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Tony Khan should not be tolerating any of this but hey I'm not a kid who was left billions by his Dad to start up a wrestling company so he can do what he wants. 

Wait, did Shad Khan die? Someone should tell the Jaguars.

Also, tell Tony Khan. He might want to know as well.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Tony Khan should not be tolerating any of this but hey I'm not a kid who was left billions by his Dad to start up a wrestling company so he can do what he wants. 

If you've never seen the raw footage of the Gordon Scozzari AWF taping from Lowell, MA circa-1991, track it down. It's like 4 hours long, Scozzari is the ring announcer, and at some points between matches Scozzari disappears backstage and the camera catches wrestlers behind the curtain holding him up for money. MIKE LANO randomly puts on a turban and comes out as Sabu's manager cutting promos. The whole thing is a trip.

AEW reminds me of that on a much, much larger scale. Someone here suggested last week that RVD get signed and be put on Collision. RVD said that when he got suspended for his drug arrest in 2006 and dropped the WWE/ECW titles, when he came back a month later, Punk had taken over the locker room. RVD is not a politician.

Punk's a politician. Jericho's a politician. Tony has Trump-syndrome in that he only takes advice from the last person in his ear, so those who speak the most often get whatever they want. He should probably reign that in, but that would be a rich kid accepting that he's flawed.

Rise and Fall of AEW in a few years is going to be wild

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Punk's a politician. Jericho's a politician. Tony has Trump-syndrome in that he only takes advice from the last person in his ear, so those who speak the most often get whatever they want. He should probably reign that in, but that would be a rich kid accepting that he's flawed.

Rise and Fall of AEW in a few years is going to be wild

Can't wait for that Rise and Fall of WWE either. Shit, I just listened to an old STW for the Invasion where Bruce Prichard is talking just like Dennis Hopper's character in Apocalypse Now when defending Colonel Kurtz...I mean uh Vince's incoherent, illogical booking. 

But yeah, politics isn't going to leave pro wrestling. It happens in every locker room. Has been since it's existing. You only hear one brand of toxicity cause you got more Terry Taylors, Brian Pillmans, and Paul Heymans who go to the dirtsheets. IIRC, WCW didn't go out of business until they start spending way more than they were taking in. Personal spats didn't end the company.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but in WWF's hottest periods we eventually found out folks had grudges against each other and some persist to this day.

I got an email from Ticketmaster confirming Doors Open 1530, show starts 1700. 
Because the pre-show is part of the show if you’re there in person.

Article about the flaws of Western leadership - tell me this doesn't describe Tony to a tee:

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2023/08/analyzing-apparently-irrational-behavior-in-western-elites.html

Greer had a slightly different take, observing that western elites “are stuck in habits of thought that make it impossible for them to do anything useful in a crisis.” He called the problem “stormtrooper syndrome” because children of the western elite are brought up thinking that bad people, like the Imperial Stormtroopers in Star Wars, can’t possibly shoot straight. Since bad people always lose and good people always win, the way to win is to define yourself as a good person rather than making rational decisions or ensuring that you have the material necessities for success. In other words, being woke (or anti-woke, if that is your ideological thing, I think it applies both ways) matters more than being competent, to the point where competence is not even on the radar.

8 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Article about the flaws of Western leadership - tell me this doesn't describe Tony to a tee:

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2023/08/analyzing-apparently-irrational-behavior-in-western-elites.html

Greer had a slightly different take, observing that western elites “are stuck in habits of thought that make it impossible for them to do anything useful in a crisis.” He called the problem “stormtrooper syndrome” because children of the western elite are brought up thinking that bad people, like the Imperial Stormtroopers in Star Wars, can’t possibly shoot straight. Since bad people always lose and good people always win, the way to win is to define yourself as a good person rather than making rational decisions or ensuring that you have the material necessities for success. In other words, being woke (or anti-woke, if that is your ideological thing, I think it applies both ways) matters more than being competent, to the point where competence is not even on the radar.

Did you mean to put this another tab? This ain't a Blackboard discussion with your Poli Sci peers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1