DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/2 - 8/8/2023

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

His best physical feature is the smile with the grill. God what a devious looking bastard. 

The man is a serial killer! First Parker disappears , then trench now this!

seriously Swerve and Lethal are both guys who where brought in as bland faces and got much more interesting as heels!

now onto Rampage!

• Like 1

Just watched Stat’s promo, fantastic. Doing squats with Renee on her shoulders is some great, silly 1980s WWF stuff. I also loved that she clearly started intending to tell Mercedes to make sure to get some rest before their match on Collision, but audibled part way through to be like no, actually do a bunch of work around the house so it’s nice for me

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Few things in life make me happier than hearing Tony Schiavone genuinely mark out.

"THE CARNAGE!!!" - Tony

That Stat promo was absolutely hilarious. They cut to them and it's Renee in Fireman's Carry with Stat squatting her, and then... "You know what pickles my egg", "recaulk the tub"... good lord, how did Renee not just bust up laughing? As soon as they turned the camera off everybody in that room had to be rolling on the floor. 

Skye Blue used to make me think she was their Rok-C but she was leaning way hard on the heel button against Anna. Was good seeing Anna again. 

Nana is such a cut-up, him dancing to the music after the squash wound up was the best. Digging the balaclavas too. The one jobber snuck in two pretty stiff elbows! 

What to say about the parking lot brawl? Of course some of the strikes are gonna come off crappy in such close quarters, but all the weapons use was A+, we got serious juice, and it just felt like the chaos went through the roof when Wheeler, Orange, and Trent's mom showed up. Trashing that van was gnarly. The only thing we were missing was the result of Chuck getting stabbed like a pincushion with the screwdriver from Yuta; hopefully that'll show up in a post-match interview on Dynamite or online. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dog said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Few things in life make me happier than hearing Tony Schiavone genuinely mark out.

He had multiple mark out moments during those wild Hijo del Vikingo and Komander spots, it was awesome.

That was just a great hour of professional wrestling TV.

Hardyz hitting their greatest hits, Keith Lee bealing fools into fools. Fun times. The post-match with the Bucks was almost too clever but (and I can’t believe I’m saying this) I’m actually interested in that match.

Skye and Anna had a very solid, straightforward wrestling match. A bit surprised at the result, but guess it came with some fuckery.

Fox wearing the “bloodstained” shirt was a nice touch. This team has potential.

Stat’s promo was so weird and awesome, kind of like her.

Main event was glorious pro wrestling violence. Mox just starting out going full Abdullah on Trent, Claudio tearing the spoiler of the car, lots of car smashy spots. I kept thinking Danhausen was going to pop out, but instead it was Yuta going full on psycho. OC coming in and getting beat down, Judy’s terror, the destruction of the minivan. Just a top notch brawl and I don’t think this feud is close to over.

• Like 3

Forgot to mention AR Fox wearing the bloodsoaked wifebeater from the beat-down in the garage. That was a dope touch to the proceedings, super evil and nasty. He should keep wearing it until they have a blow-off match. Strangle the kid with it! 

EDIT: Not sure if JLowe or me got to this first haha. Great minds think alike

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

Prince Nana's having one hell of a year.  Dancing, swerving, it's all great.  

Stat being goofy is where she will excel.  Serious Stat just doesn't work, and you can always save that for later.  Accent her strengths, literally and figuratively.  

I love the Best Friends, I always will.  Claudio is a beast, of course, but Moxley, man...Moxley these days is truly something else.  

• Like 3

That was great. I love Kip as a totally incompetent Batman villain with B&B as his henchmen. I’d like to see The Wingmen get swapped in on the rampage job spot one of these weeks

lot of sass and some ass in the women’s match, probably the best Anna Jay has looked. So we’ve had a town hall, a debate, a parlay (am I forgetting anything?) and now a mandatory meeting.

looks like Big Bill has possibly found a permanent home in Nana’s home for wayward hosses. Good spot for him

the kingdom is very meat and potatoes, nothing fancy but sometimes you just want something that sticks to your ribs

that was some level of violence in the street fight! Really killed best friends thought! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nana is such a cut-up, him dancing to the music after the squash wound up was the best.

My message notification on my phone is Nana singing "We're In The Money" and it never fails to get a funny look when it goes off in public.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Man everything about the parking lot brawl was fuckin RAD. I enjoyed the BCC vs Elite feud, but I prefer the dynamic of this program with the Best Friends. BCC vs Elite was your clash of the titans, but this has a clear underdog group and 'comedy mid carder gets serious' is maybe my favourite thing in wrestling. The last section with the BCC unjustly destroying them and tearing up the van was blood pumping shit. How can you not want to see them gets theirs after that. I really hope they put the belts on Mox and Claudio on Weds because the Best Friends getting the better of them to win their first tag titles would be an absolutely GLORIOUS payoff.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

lot of sass and some ass

I wasn't gonna say anything, butt...

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

looks like Big Bill has possibly found a permanent home in Nana’s home for wayward hosses. Good spot for him

His super New Yawk accent was killing me, he needs to lean into it even more. Every promo should have him saying "yous" in it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I used to think there was big money in a Braun Strowman/Big Bill (nee Cass) team, a country strong meets big city mean version of the Skyscrapers. I still think his best work is as part of a tag team but my theory is he actually needs to be the smaller partner to take the occasional bump and let his partner be the monster

• Like 2

• I liked the six man fine. Blade went for a high five with Kip at one point and Kip was already moving on to the next bit so that was awkward and amusing. Keith came in and killed people. It was all just him powering however he could and didn't seem clean and spot like and that's a plus, not a minus! Plus he got to dance just a little to the theme at the end.
  • Interestingly, Swerve and Fox are doing their contrived movements one after the other, feeding the next and alternating, but they don't have tandem stuff yet. Yes, the shirt was great.
  • Thought Anna and Skye looked actively good in there. Anna's able to work so many bullshit mannerisms into her act. No one else is doing it so it really makes her stand out. They worked some cutesy bits in there like Skye butting Anna out of the ring. I wouldn't mind seeing what Shida vs Anna would look like.
  • Things that stood out in the main that I want to note:
    • The one shot of Chuck just pushing forward and stabbing.
    • Mox putting on a figure four in the middle
    • Claudio kicking someone's butt lightly as Yuta was stabbing them in the eye.

Interestingly, there are only three matches and an Acclaimed segment announced for Collision. Even if they add Joe or Miro or Andrade or whatever, it still makes me think that Punk vs Starks is going very long.

I just did a write up on every AEW Roster member and I want to see something like 90% of them. It does feel like Dynamite is going to now be focused on that other 10% more and more.

• Like 3

Ok, I’m gonna put my leg here, he bends his knee this way, wait for the signal, then you come in and bend your back that way, not too far, he’ll straighten his left arm, I’ll grab that, all three of us jump up, you move your other leg over here, we land, I go this way, he looks that way, we jump again, then profit.

• Haha 1