DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I could go all pirate-defender, anti-monetization-of-art here but I'm not. I respect everyone else's opinion even though I disagree. 

See kids? THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT. Give a salute and bow out. Don't start a fucking flame war. 

(I will say one thing though about Botchamania. Unlike probably all the rest of those accounts [and I cannot stand anything with the picture-in-picture either], it is actually funny, and for me that's what really matters.)

I know you said you didn't want to, but it was invoked, so I did want to respond then I will let it go.

I have a lot of nuanced thoughts when it comes to artist intentions, copyright, and monetization, most of which I don't think I can accurately sum up on a message board, but the summary of which would be:

I think that just because an artist chooses to release their art into the world, that does not mean the rest of us get the right to decide what to do with their art without their consent. I respect others' opinions on this, of course, but I also think that if an artist creates art and decides to sell it, then I should respect their wishes because that is what they decide their worth to be. If I'm not willing to meet them at their perceived worth, then I should find art more suitable to what I believe the worth to be. Similar to how if a painter wants their painting displayed in as close to natural light as possible, I would find it wrong to put it under fluorescents. I try to respect an artist's intentions and what they believe their value to be, and if I do not agree with their perception, I do not have to partake of their art.

With that said, I can't stand when people take from an artist, whether they released their work for free or monetized it, and try to make money from said work without proper credit/compensation. I will always be against that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Just please don't invoke the phrase "late stage capitalism." I like you too much to banish you to the ignore folder. 🙂

Don't worry, I don't even evoke that on the Discord, which is the only place linked to here where it should go. 

34 minutes ago, Raziel said:

To be fair, the actual Botches part of Botchamania is still like, 6 minutes long.  The actual good parts are the endings which take up to the last 10 minutes and are actually a bit creative (as far as coherent editing goes), and of course the Northern Boys videos.

Last time I watched, it was at least half the video but I guessing that changes based on what can be found or what's been sent to him. Keeping that in mind, I think I just entirely outgrew the whole thing and just wondered, "why am I watching this horseshit?". It's a decent way to kill 15 minutes at work, but nothing I am going out of my way to watch.

59 minutes ago, zendragon said:

This would be a great tag team name on the indys 

And their opponents already in the ring, the team of Ted Dibiase Jr and Bo Dallas, they are Late Stage Capitalism!

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

And their opponents already in the ring, the team of Ted Dibiase Jr and Bo Dallas, they are Late Stage Capitalism!

Can't be Ted Jr. cause Ted Jr. and Brett DiBiase are already known as The High Plains Grifters...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Can't be Ted Jr. cause Ted Jr. and Brett DiBiase are already known as The High Plains Grifters...

True, but the faction led by cohort quarterback Brett Farve is known as the New Lost Equity Wranglers, so who's to say?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jrag said:

Cole seems to be doing everything in his power to limit head trauma both while he is taking moves and when he is on offense. His opponents seem to be doing the same. Cash hit an awesome clothesline this week that landed below Cole’s chest.  

If that means more pump kicks or super kicks so be it. He has clearly proven that he can still connect with an audience while working a very cautious style and I for one love to see it. 

that's a really good insight, I hadn't thought of it that way. I (selfishly) would like a bit more variety out of him, but I will in no way hold it against him.

• Like 3

I’ve never been a big Cole guy anyways, but if him being safe is part of the reason they stumbled into MJF as face in peril that’s another one in the win column.

MJF has a legit case for best in the world right now. The best feud in AEW history with Punk pre-title, the classic with Danielson, great talker and can play every role. Dude is in complete control of the crowd right now.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Tom Servo calling out for Wally Karbo always made me laugh and I still don't know why.

Back in the KTMA days they shared the same studio as Mick Karch's wrestling show and even taped back-to-back IMSMR. So that's where a lot of the AWA references come from.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jrag said:

I’ve never been a big Cole guy anyways, but if him being safe is part of the reason they stumbled into MJF as face in peril that’s another one in the win column.

MJF has a legit case for best in the world right now. The best feud in AEW history with Punk pre-title, the classic with Danielson, great talker and can play every role. Dude is in complete control of the crowd right now.

I think the way the current angle ends up going, will do much in determining how much of a case he has. In a best case scenario, he will have quite the case. This will have to include him getting burned the ONE time he is genuinely opening his heart to some one! But if they actually go there, there is only Roman that could challenge him for that place at the moment, I guess?

22 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I hope Satnam kicks out of the One Winged Angel 

Let's see Kenny get him up there first! It would be great if Satham just straightened up his legs to get out of that move, without having to ever kick out of it.

On 7/28/2023 at 10:33 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Christ, I really had no idea about all these memes and everything. I recall the episode from when I was a kid but didn't remember "steamed hams" at all. Really took on a life of its own.

So you haven't seen the recreation of this in the WWF No Mercy engine?

https://youtu.be/o0f73ww5ehE

• Haha 4